News Article: Chris Kreider 2019-20 Edition

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i sense if theres a guy out there that might take a shorter term sweat heart deal to stay with his current team, its CK. hes a very intelligent guy and he knows the current mood of the team right now.

if the deal was 5/6.5 i think thats fair on both sides and would enable him to stay here and play a large part in this teams revival.

5 yr term works. 6.5 is fair with a limited ntc

Reactions: TheTakedown

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i sense if theres a guy out there that might take a shorter term sweat heart deal to stay with his current team, its CK. hes a very intelligent guy and he knows the current mood of the team right now.

if the deal was 5/6.5 i think thats fair on both sides and would enable him to stay here and play a large part in this teams revival.

$6.5 would be $2M more than what he is being paid right now. I'd take that in a heart beat

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

I don't think a deal like this is that crazy. A lot of people saying he's not going to take anything less than 7x7 but similar guys in similar situations have. If he wants to stay in NY and be a part of this team, that's a fair deal. He's a bright kid and will have made close to 50 million dollars playing hockey. He'd probably get another deal after this one expires as well.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Kreider is a legit top line wing, not a depth winger. When the Rangers start to compete for playoff contention, having Panarin and Kreider staring as your top 2 LW, is quite something. We have no idea of what the K boys will be like. We have lots of hopes, but that is it. And Buch is a lot of thing so far, but he is NOT Kreider.

Look, there is a possibility that he will be traded. I also do not discount the possibility that it is Buchnevich that is the one who is moved and Kreider is resigned. As was pointed out, term and dollars. He may agree to a 5 year deal at a hometown discount. He is a career Ranger and a cornerstone of the current leadership group.

Didn't mean it as a knock on kreider...but he's a top 2 LW right now will he be 5-7 years from now which is what you'd be signing him for? if at that point he's still one of our top wingers than we have far bigger problems than his cap hit.

and it honestly doesn't matter how you rank them...paying kreider when you have a lot of winger depth and paying mika when you have no centers aren't comparable.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
$6.5 would be $2M more than what he is being paid right now. I'd take that in a heart beat
Done. Couple that with the offset cost would probably be Buchnevich being moved and there's your money.

I really think that it is all going to depend on how much Kreider ask compared to how much he wants to be here on the other side of the rebuild. How much does he want to be a leader of an up and coming young, talented team? One that he has played for his entire career. Maybe enough to take a deal to make it worth it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Didn't mean it as a knock on kreider...but he's a top 2 LW right now will he be 5-7 years from now which is what you'd be signing him for? if at that point he's still one of our top wingers than we have far bigger problems than his cap hit.

and it honestly doesn't matter how you rank them...paying kreider when you have a lot of winger depth and paying mika when you have no centers aren't comparable.
I think that in 5 years, he will be on the third line, but still quite the net front presence. For the next 4? I have no doubt about him being able to play at a level that will be top-line.

We don't know if who will step up to play the 2C role this year. That is one of the many reasons this is still a progression year. The 2C of the future may well be coming in this year's draft.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think that in 5 years, he will be on the third line, but still quite the net front presence. For the next 4? I have no doubt about him being able to play at a level that will be top-line.

We don't know if who will step up to play the 2C role this year. That is one of the many reasons this is still a progression year. The 2C of the future may well be coming in this year's draft.

agreed...if CK is willing to sign for 4 years then I want to keep him

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Minnesota signed Zucc for 5 years @6M.

Next years market is going to be pretty skimp. This is CK’s time to cash in.

I don’t see him doing us a favor by signing for less money or term than what his agent is suggesting he’d get next year. There will be a lot of teams interested in him next summer.

A 4 or 5 year deal isn’t something I see him taking. Especially under 7m.

Kreider is an intelligent guy. He knows this is a business. He saw what happened with Callahan. Richards. Girardi. Shatty. Hayes. Nash. Zucc.

Kreider is going to do what’s best for him and that’s test free agency.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I like Anders Lee a lot but that’s a great example of a contract that will not age well. The Islanders really boxed themselves in with that one both with the slap hazard negotiation and the term. Of course, Lou figures he’ll be 84 years old by then so it will be someone else’s problem.

Reactions: RGY

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I actually posted the other day that I thought Kreider was worth the Anders lee contract, and everyone came out and said that lee was worth that because he had 30 and 40 goal seasons under his belt and that he's a Center so he's a higher cost. They're all right! Check out these comparables instead:

Mikael Backlund - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Jordan Eberle - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Patric Hörnqvist - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Mats Zuccarello - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
James Neal - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
James van Riemsdyk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Max Pacioretty - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Kyle Okposo - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Jakob Silfverberg - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

For reference, Kreider currently has 271 Points in 460 Games. If we pro-rate another 50 point season over the next 75 games, that puts him at 321 Points over 535 Games

The closest point comparable for him would be Kyle Turris. 320P in 544 Games, 6 years, $6M. Turris is a Center, signed at age 28, and plays for a team with no state income tax so those are bonus factors on his $6M/year salary
Shockingly, I think the CLOSEST comparable with the closest matching age, position, and point/game rate is Gustav Nyquist

306 points in 500 games, winger, signed at age 29, got a 4 year deal, at $5.5M/year
If you pull up metrics, obviously Kreider is the better player, but I'm not seeing a situation where there is a $7M * 7Y deal out there for kreider.

The HIGHEST cap hit on that list is $7M for JVR. Unless Kreider thinks he can corner the market to his services and secure additional $, bobbop might be onto something here--there may not be a 7 year deal out there for Kreider.
Recent scoring is much more important than career numbers but maybe u still end up with the same comparables.

I don't think it's hard to imagine some dumb team massively overpaying 7 x 7 for kreider

Reactions: CasusBelli

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would you want him for 5 but not 4? He'd be turning 33 right at the end of a 4-year deal.
No, I would love him for 4. I just do not think he is signing anywhere for less than 5. I tend to think that he can get a 6 year deal, but hope that he is willing to take 5 with Rangers.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Recent scoring is much more important than career numbers but maybe u still end up with the same comparables.

I don't think it's hard to imagine some dumb team massively overpaying 7 x 7 for kreider

CK envy for 3 years and then copious relief.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If Kreider took a shorter deal, even with higher $ he would want significant trade protection. I like the Trouba model where he got NMC for five years, limited NTC for the last two years. I have long advocated for contracts like this.
And I have long advocated for contracts with no NTC or NMC. Those things are terrible for the team. I wish there was a dollar value for those clauses so asking for one had a direct translation to a pay cut. Giving term/$ for security.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kreider doesn't have the highest hockey IQ but he's a really smart and intellectually curious guy and I could see him doing very well after his NHL days are done....so maybe he won't look at his next contract as something he absolutely has to make a killing on. But that's the only chance he stays and even that's not a sure thing.

I've always like Chris Kreider a lot. He's kind of been my favorite player for a while. He is the guy I've been happiest to see score goals but if we're looking at what's good for the team and it's choice between a) Panarin and b) Kreider--it's a) every time. I would like the Rangers to figure out a way but I'm also ready to move on if they can't. There's Mika and there's Panarin and Kakko coming in--if I have to I can find a replacement for Chris. If he does move we will miss his speed and net front presence though--OTOH he can drive you crazy at times with his inconsistency.

Reactions: we want cup

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
And I have long advocated for contracts with no NTC or NMC. Those things are terrible for the team. I wish there was a dollar value for those clauses so asking for one had a direct translation to a pay cut. Giving term/$ for security.

Those can’t avoid those clauses on contracts if a certain level, they are a given just like part of the money in a signing bonus.

And the impact that they have is overrated. You can’t send those guys down anyone cause they still count against the cap and you can ask them to waive for a trade assuming another team would want them

Marc staal’s NMC is not the reason he is still here. He is here cause the rangers have no interest in moving him. Fans blame the nmc but he’d be here either way (just as an example)

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Those can’t avoid those clauses on contracts if a certain level, they are a given just like part of the money in a signing bonus.

And the impact that they have is overrated. You can’t send those guys down anyone cause they still count against the cap and you can ask them to waive for a trade assuming another team would want them

Marc staal’s NMC is not the reason he is still here. He is here cause the rangers have no interest in moving him. Fans blame the nmc but he’d be here either way (just as an example)
ok, I'll accept that the NTC and NMC are functionally similar on large contracts but I'm against having NTCs at all. Imagine in a last act of stupidity, Paul Fenton wanted to trade us Matt Dumba for Marc Staal. nope, sorry. Handcuffed. I get why players demand it but those should not be given out willy nilly. It seems like everyone has a NTC or L-NTC these days.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Ya, I’m glad Gorton hasn’t just moved him just for the sake of doing so. I would rather keep him for the year and let him walk than trade him for some lowball garbage.

Gorton understands his player values, that I know for sure. If some team had offered a 1st and a decent prospect, he’d probably have taken it. Teams are likely offering some third rate trash, like Skinner returned. I doubt Gorton feels the NEED to trade Kreider for whatever he can get.
Draft picks and prospects are always "worth" less at the TDL than before the season.

Less risk for the trading team if they're relatively sure their first isn't going to be a lottery pick.

It also gives the trading team 3/4 of a season of evaluation of their own prospects.

Gorton is being patient. I'd be pretty pissed if he went to the trouble of buying out Shattenkirk, to then accepting a sub-par offer. The pressure to make a deal is gone. The only thing left to do is let the process play out. If some team wants to overpay to get Kreider for the full season, so be it, but don't give him away for anything less than the high side of what we can expect at the TDL.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
my gut tells me the negotiation will come down to kreider wanting to be part of what he started here.

this team is trending up. he knows that. hes one of the team leaders and a homegrown guy. im sure theres a measure of finishing what you started at play.

5 yr deal. 6.5 mil i believe gets it done. CK comes off as a guy who will know when its time to say when, leave with body and mind still intact and do something else, maybe within the organization.

i believe he stays and this will be his last deal.

Reactions: TheTakedown and jas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad