News Article: Chris Kreider 2019-20 Edition

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Rangers’ Chris Kreider gets a qualified vote of confidence

Not really earth shattering, but lots of really old threads on his prior signings, so I am starting this. Everything Chris.

I suppose this is a 2 sided gamble, in NOT signing him to an extension. He plays well, it raises his value come deadline.
He gets injured, we will be stuck with him going into free agency and possibly getting nothing in return.
Either way, teams KNOW what Chris brings to the ice.

With GM's not throwing around 1st's so easily (see last year) and GM's underpaying for rentals (rightly so), I suppose Chris will still have value even if he is injured (depends how badly though) Gives said team, a better chance in signing him moving forward.

I still have hopes we keep him somehow, but it seems the writing is on the wall and I also suppose moving him would be BEST for the future and sustainability of this team. Guess we have to get there first.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get the feeling that Gorton didn't like potential returns, which pretty much forced us to attempt to raise his value.

Reactions: McCartney

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I get the feeling that Gorton didn't like potential returns, which pretty much forced us to attempt to raise his value.
Ya, I’m glad Gorton hasn’t just moved him just for the sake of doing so. I would rather keep him for the year and let him walk than trade him for some lowball garbage.

Gorton understands his player values, that I know for sure. If some team had offered a 1st and a decent prospect, he’d probably have taken it. Teams are likely offering some third rate trash, like Skinner returned. I doubt Gorton feels the NEED to trade Kreider for whatever he can get.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Ya, I’m glad Gorton hasn’t just moved him just for the sake of doing so. I would rather keep him for the year and let him walk than trade him for some lowball garbage.

Gorton understands his player values, that I know for sure. If some team had offered a 1st and a decent prospect, he’d probably have taken it. Teams are likely offering some third rate trash, like Skinner returned. I doubt Gorton feels the NEED to trade Kreider for whatever he can get.

Keeping him for a year and letting him walk for nothing would be a dumb move. We aren't going anywhere next year.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
All of you guys are right......no NEED, knowing his Value, better he is ON this team helping as opposed to not getting what he is worth. At deadline, rest assured we will GET, GET, GET.
In the meantime he will help the youngsters become pros and who knows.....win?

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I kinda feel as if they're gonna get decent value for him but it's gonna come in quantity rather than a big piece. Kinda how Mcdonagh got Hajek, Howden, +, maybe they swing something with Colorado for Kamenev and Bowers +

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I question whether teams value a full season more than a pure playoff rental. There are so many question marks in August, including whether the team will be good enough to justify the acquisition and whether the target player will be healthy down the stretch.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I question whether teams value a full season more than a pure playoff rental. There are so many question marks in August, including whether the team will be good enough to justify the acquisition and whether the target player will be healthy down the stretch.
There's always that potential trade-off when it comes to moving guys in the off-season vs. the TDL: moving them in the off-season, there's a potentially larger market and the acquiring team gets more value. At the TDL, there may be lesser teams interested but they also may be more "desperate," thinking they need to make the big acquisition to push them over the top. I've never seen anything that really indicates whether returns are highers in the summer or at the TDL; frankly I don't know how you'd quantify such a thing.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think Kakko will be on the 1st line.

Panarin/Ziba/Kakko
Kreider/Chytil/Buch

long term thats your top line...but it wouldn't surprise me at all if kakko starts on the 2nd line to keep the pressure off a bit and he has to 'earn' the top spot.

plus if buch isn't part of the long term plans, playing him with panarin and mika would be a heck of a way to sky rocket his trade value.

Reactions: McRanger

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
long term thats your top line...but it wouldn't surprise me at all if kakko starts on the 2nd line to keep the pressure off a bit and he has to 'earn' the top spot.

plus if buch isn't part of the long term plans, playing him with panarin and mika would be a heck of a way to sky rocket his trade value.
Let Kakko develop and acclimate. no need to put him against 1D's right out of the gate. I would be happy with him on the 2nd line all year. Luckily we have depth to do that. Also won't hurt us to challenge Buch with the top spot and understand what we have in him- do we have the 2nd half of last year buch or ...
As far as Kreider goes, Happy with GMJG and his approach. I trust he will get the most value and do the right thing. TDL for sure.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

This is pretty much exactly how I see it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Kreider is playing out of his mind lately. Absolutely a top line forward going into the future. 5 years, 8 AAV seems right.

(1 month later)

Is Kreider still on this team? Haven't noticed him on the ice in a month.

Sorry just contributing to the inevitable in-season Kreider discussion that we have every year

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think Kreider is gonna play 1st line minutes and get dealt at the deadline.

He'll get 2nd line ES time (which is usually basically the same 1st line ES time) and probably 1st unit PP time.

If things go well his value could be pretty significant at the TDL.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
obviously chemistry is a huge factor in the final line combos...and normally I'd rather have more a more balanced attack over 1 dominate line and lesser 2-4 lines. but I think for this year the biggest factor is the readiness of the kids and what kind of situations you want to put them in...

if you can to avoid having to face top pair guys for kakko/kravstov and probably more specifically chytil if he is the 2C, then I think you have little choice but to go with panarin/zibanejad combo to guarantee that line draws the top pair and top checking unit, creating the more favorable matchups for the kids until they are ready to take on a bigger load. if you split those 2 up than you don't know which of those lines will draw the top matchup.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Rangers are gamblers here!

They had two choices regarding Kreider and their salary cap issues going into this summer:

1. Trade Kreider in the offseason and hopefully work out the numbers to avoid a buy out(s).

The return - They would've gotten less value for him and would've had to bury Smith and/or be forced to make other moves to become cap compliant. It's possible they would've lost Strome, Namestnikov or even a Buchnevich or other player in addition to Kreider.

The gain - They would still have Shattenkirk and a lot less dead space over the next 4 seasons.

The risk - Losing Kreider's production from the lineup on a more skilled offensive team and missing out on the increased trade value for Kreider later in the season.

2. Hold on to Kreider and trade him during the season/deadline when his value hopefully rises, but buyout Shattenkirk to make the cap work.

The return - 6+ Million in cap relief for this season and not losing any other roster players, including Kreider.

The gain - They get to keep Kreider's production and veteran presence on what will be a more dangerous offensive attack.

The risk
- Losing a bounce-back candidate in Shattenkirk and trusting your 2nd and 3rd pairings to ADA and an unproven rookie in Fox. Adding additional dead cap space to the next 3 seasons. Hoping that Kreider will stay on the ice and his value increases the closer they get to the deadline for a much greater return then what they couldve gotten for him this summer.

The wild card here being they actually find a way to extend Kreider.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Think he absolutely should have been dealt at the draft or before the season started but I don't know what was offered. I do know Gorton said he didn't want a Zucc type scenario again so I'm pretty surprised that is exactly what we will have again by trading a core player at the deadline.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Think he absolutely should have been dealt at the draft or before the season started but I don't know what was offered. I do know Gorton said he didn't want a Zucc type scenario again so I'm pretty surprised that is exactly what we will have again by trading a core player at the deadline.

I think they wanted to move him but the market wasn't there...that could change as teams sort out their RFAs but we weren't going to move him just for the sake of moving him.

and depending on who is the 2c, there could be big benefits to having kreider riding shotgun with that kid for the majority of the year so I think both scenarios have their pros & cons. and I'm good either way as long as we got a 2020 1st and prospect in return at the end of the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad