News Article: Chris Kreider 2019-20 Edition

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
That almost never happens. Teams always find a way out. Especially the Rangers.

I'm just annoyed that this is going to be an endless bitchfest about him and his contract every single week for the next 7 years. HFNYR is going to turn on him faster than they turned on Hank.

I think it was a shortsighted move. I thought the same with Staal and Girardi. The difference there was that the team was in a window to win so it made more sense to risk some bad years on the back end. Now, they aren’t quite there yet - prob a couple years out - so I don’t think it’s a great move in the short or long term. I’m not bitching - just an opinion. Maybe he’s one of these guys that’s in great shape and is valuable into his mid-late 30’s.

You say teams always find a way... I wouldn’t say Staal, Shattenkirk, and Girardi’s deals ended well. The ramifications of those deals are still around. Lots of dead money and an asset. I’ll leave Hank out as a legend ( in fact, without all the dead money they probably could’ve let him play out his deal if they wanted to).That’s a deal you don’t regret making. I read an article earlier about St Louis being a team that made some tough decisions with guys like Shattenkirk and Backes that allowed them to go on later and win a cup.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That almost never happens. Teams always find a way out. Especially the Rangers.

I'm just annoyed that this is going to be an endless bitchfest about him and his contract every single week for the next 7 years. HFNYR is going to turn on him faster than they turned on Hank.
I kind of dont think that will be the case. Might just be that with all this newly found talent around Chris, that he becomes quite the offensive presence even more now. I feel he has matured and is ready for this new chapter/contract. He will be looked to for team leadership and will take on additional responsibility that could lead to better things.
In regard to his last.....say 3 years, he will probably be on that 3rd line (maybe even sooner, which would be a good thing) as that would be some serious depth, but maybe more importantly is every team needs that Kreider type to win those cups. I mean, who else is like him? On this team anyway.
I predict this seasons PP will be literally LETHAL! 37% LETHAL.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I was skeptical about signing Kreider (as was well-documented on here).

I will say that I am not terribly concerned about his contract though. There's the potential for it to be an issue, but there's also the potential it might not be a huge one either.

I think with what the Rangers have in place, Kreider could conceivably slide into a third line role over the course of his contract. And unlike some players, I don't think that would be square peg in a round hole either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was skeptical about signing Kreider (as was well-documented on here).

I will say that I am not terribly concerned about his contract though. There's the potential for it to be an issue, but there's also the potential it might not be a huge one either.

I think with what the Rangers have in place, Kreider could conceivably slide into a third line role over the course of his contract. And unlike some players, I don't think that would be square peg in a round hole either.

Pittsburgh won 2 Cups with Kessel on their 3rd line. The only concern I have is whether or not his cap hit prevents us from signing the big-4 (13, 23, 24, 31) but other than that, Kreider can have a great 7 years as a Ranger in a middle-6 role, playing in the shadow of Panarin and later on Lafrenière

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Pittsburgh won 2 Cups with Kessel on their 3rd line. The only concern I have is whether or not his cap hit prevents us from signing the big-4 (13, 23, 24, 31) but other than that, Kreider can have a great 7 years as a Ranger in a middle-6 role, playing in the shadow of Panarin and later on Lafrenière

I think there will likely come a time he is overpaid, but I don't think he'll be useless as a player either.

So in the year 2026, a 35 year old Kreider could be in more of a third line role for the Rangers. At $6.5 million he'd be overpaid for that role. But by how much? Six years from now, you might have some players in that role for $4m-$5m. At that point, maybe you can buy out the last year or just ride through it. So I am keeping an eye on it, but I can't say it's as much of a concern right now. We'll see if it emerges as one --- which can happen fast with any long-term contract.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kreider scores a lot of goals in front of the net, he will be effective. It's not like he's scoring just because of speed and breakaways. Pavelski put up 30+ well into his 30s.

Pavelski also had EIGHT 60 point seasons, and three seasons with over 70 points, while Kreider has a max of 53 in his best season. Failing to see why we are comparing the 2, Pavelski is a LEGIT 1st line player, while Kreider is not (as much as that will hurt some people feelings to hear)

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He's a freak of nature. Barring any major catastrophe, I can see him retaining much of his raw strength and speed into his mid 30s. One thing I would start mitigating now is natural deterioration of the hands. Those can go away quickly. Eye-hand work off ice to keep them sharp. Take your vitamins and say your prayers, do stuff like that.

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Pavelski also had EIGHT 60 point seasons, and three seasons with over 70 points, while Kreider has a max of 53 in his best season. Failing to see why we are comparing the 2, Pavelski is a LEGIT 1st line player, while Kreider is not (as much as that will hurt some people feelings to hear)

Well, both are elite when it comes to redirecting the puck i front of the net. I think they are 1 and 2 over the last decade in goals off deflections.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Steve Valiquette was on Sportsnet's Hockey Central radio show yesterday to talk about the data tracking project he has been developing to accurately analyze goaltending performance.

He spent a portion breaking down how goaltending coaches can help teach to players how to exploit goalie weaknesses in various scenarios and brought up that Taylor Hall went 0 for 17 on breakaways last season, while Kreider went 7 for 10. Just something I found that interesting.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Yes but his production did not drop off. And he's also a Center so obviously he will have more points. Maybe I have the stats wrong but I believe Kreider, Pavelski (and Anders Lee) have been the best at deflection goals.
Chris Kreider, master of redirecting pucks - TSN.ca
Ok just found this one. From 2014-2017 28% of his goals came from tip ins. Pavelski was 20%. Kreider can play 3rd line and then tip/screen/bang home on the PP with Mika, Panarin, Laf, Kakko, Fox, TDA. He will be useful.

And this is coming from someone who wanted to trade him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
In my mind there is no doubt he will be useful. Maybe they will allow him to put the boxing gloves on and kick some serious ass. Remember when he fought often enough his 1st couple of years? He would destroy many.

BLEETCH1994

Jun 11, 2019
I know...its 2021 and this is the Kreider 19-20 thread. Whatever. Since Hank and Staal are now gone, I have no choice but to chase Kreider's quest of games played for the Rangers. Last night was game #524 for Chris, tying him for 32nd all time. Whee. At least he was really visible last night. Double whee.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Other than the bad giveaway late in the game I thought he had a solid opening night. The most impressive thing was his play on the PK. I’ve always felt Kreider has really improved defensively over the year. In his first few years he was god awful but is much better now and I think he will make our PK better and hopefully lead to more short handed goal opportunities

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Other than the bad giveaway late in the game I thought he had a solid opening night. The most impressive thing was his play on the PK. I’ve always felt Kreider has really improved defensively over the year. In his first few years he was god awful but is much better now and I think he will make our PK better and hopefully lead to more short handed goal opportunities

He was our best forward.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I think there will likely come a time he is overpaid, but I don't think he'll be useless as a player either.

So in the year 2026, a 35 year old Kreider could be in more of a third line role for the Rangers. At $6.5 million he'd be overpaid for that role. But by how much? Six years from now, you might have some players in that role for $4m-$5m. At that point, maybe you can buy out the last year or just ride through it. So I am keeping an eye on it, but I can't say it's as much of a concern right now. We'll see if it emerges as one --- which can happen fast with any long-term contract.
Maybe the cap will be 95-100 mill by then.
I read that ESPN is going to bid on the NHL TV deal

Reactions: mas0764

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Maybe the cap will be 95-100 mill by then.
I read that ESPN is going to bid on the NHL TV deal
They are going to bid price is right rules. Lowest without going over... Maybe even through the $1 bid out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->