Chris "Excellent powerplay killer" Higgins

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
There is a huge distinction there. You should've quit while you were ahead on this.

It was false. I will repeat and bold that for you.

It was false.

At least ther other poster had the civility and common sense to apologize, the fact that you're continuing this nonsense is among the more shameless and pathetic things I've seen on this site.

Here's another source for you - his ****ing brother.

Provide proof that it is false.

And Higgins' brother is not a legitimate source for what goes on with management behind closed doors...not sure how you'd come to that conclusion? Higgins himself wouldn't be a good source.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
That is hardly conclusive proof of falsehood, DD. Being super certain is great but it is a valueless currency.

Too much noise in this.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
There's 2 different guys that have said Linden told them the same thing.

I'd say Linden was telling the truth to the 2 people and didn't realize they'd turn and blab to everyone.

Even if that guy is "Higgins' Bro" , him stating that he isn't being shopped is irrelevant considering teams tend to not involve players until a trade agreement has been reached and they need to approve him waiving his NTC.

So I personally wouldn't consider him a reliable source

He is a vetted source (confirmed to be reliable) and is indeed his brother. He has shared a lot of reliable information in the past.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
He is a vetted source (confirmed to be reliable) and is indeed his brother. He has shared a lot of reliable information in the past.

I should have clarified that I don't consider him a reliable source when the question about him being shopped is actually a management issue and not a player issue.

I'm sure he hasn't heard anyting and neither has Higgins

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

Sure, but there are certain kinds of information he's not going to have. he's told as far as he knows... which is as far as higgins knows... which isn't as far as Linden knows.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I'd say Linden was telling the truth to the 2 people and didn't realize they'd turn and blab to everyone.

Even if that guy is "Higgins' Bro" , him stating that he isn't being shopped is irrelevant considering teams tend to not involve players until a trade agreement has been reached and they need to approve him waiving his NTC.

In the same conversation Linden also said weisbrod drafted Gaudreau. I'm not sure how much the puppet president knows.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Sure, but there are certain kinds of information he's not going to have. he's told as far as he knows... which is as far as higgins knows... which isn't as far as Linden knows.

yup. If Linden says no team will pay 'X' for Higgins its because they've tested the waters.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I never said anything about him being shopped for months, either. I said Linden reportedly told two people nobody wanted Higgins, which seemed to indicate they'd asked. Frankly, if they just assumed nobody would want him and didn't even both exploring the option, it might be an even dumber move by management.

Maybe they could have kept their starting goalie and gotten a 3rd round pick some other way.

Then again, Linden did go on the radio and say they might have had better offers for Lack than the one they took, but Benning said that's not true. Hmmmm...

The problem isn't with Linden/Benning, the problem is that media and fans do not properly understand Linden's job and the team isn't helping. The team has tried to usher in these two guys as a pair to replace Gillis without properly reinforcing what their roles are. The media and fans have continually asked Linden about things like Higgins or Lack and for some reason he feels obligated to answer them as when you are a "boss" people think you should know everything your employee does. This is normal for business, but it just so happens that this business is very public and very scrutinized. Generally a boss would defer to his employee or at least ask him before giving an answer, but with a mic in your face that's not a realistic option.

Point is, Linden's word on this type of thing means almost nothing and the sooner the people realize that the better.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
it's trivial for us as fans to be aware of this ****. if he's not aware of basically everything, he is doing a very, very bad job.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
it's trivial for us as fans to be aware of this ****. if he's not aware of basically everything, he is doing a very, very bad job.

Yep. If the guy is going to take questions and give answers he better know what he is taking about. Continually being caught out not knowing what is going on is a bad look. Either do due diligence and know your stuff so you can answer honestly or don't give an answer (deflect or defer).

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Web would they want to move one of their culture carriers and mentors?

They've already moved Bieksa, likely the biggest voice in the room. If you aren't willing to make big changes you wouldn't be moving voices and personalities that large.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The problem isn't with Linden/Benning, the problem is that media and fans do not properly understand Linden's job and the team isn't helping. The team has tried to usher in these two guys as a pair to replace Gillis without properly reinforcing what their roles are. The media and fans have continually asked Linden about things like Higgins or Lack and for some reason he feels obligated to answer them as when you are a "boss" people think you should know everything your employee does. This is normal for business, but it just so happens that this business is very public and very scrutinized. Generally a boss would defer to his employee or at least ask him before giving an answer, but with a mic in your face that's not a realistic option.

Point is, Linden's word on this type of thing means almost nothing and the sooner the people realize that the better.
If a boss isn't able to play the game well enough not to accidentally throw an employee under the bus when questioned about one of those things that he (maybe reasonably, as you said) knows nothing about, just because a camera's pointed in his face, then he's doing a bad job of being a boss, too. Any way you spin it, it's there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
They've already moved Bieksa, likely the biggest voice in the room. If you aren't willing to make big changes you wouldn't be moving voices and personalities that large.

at least there is a chance they move Dorsett, save a bunch of money, get a better player.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The problem lies with Linden. I think the media and most fans are assuming that Linden and Benning's role is like that of other teams with a similar type of structure. Linden is the boss (Benning alluded to this when he first got hired). Therefore, it is up to Linden to define his role. If he wants final say on everything he can. If he wants to defer he can. It's up to him. Brian Burke, when he had Jay Feaster, made it known that he has the final say. With Treliving, Burke made it known that Treliving calls the shots. John Davidson, when he was with the Blues, was the face of the franchise and was quoted as saying that everything goes through him. In Columbus he defers to Kekäläinen. Sakic, was the one making the decisions from the start and just added the GM title without much ceremony. Shanahan, no doubt, came in with clear ideas of how he wanted his team built and is in full control. Neely was a strong voice in the room and no doubt now has full authority to direct his GM in terms of moves to be made in his vision. Linden, in comparison, still looks like a lost puppy who is bewildered by everything after a year into his job.

None of the guys I named above have problems answering questions. Even if they defer to the GM in terms of decision making or the day to day activities, they are generally kept well abreast of what is going on with the team. Benning reports to Linden. How hard is it for Linden to touch base with Benning for even 5 minutes a day to discuss any new developments. And if he doesn't know the answer, he can easily just say ask Benning. There's no shame in saying "You will have to ask Benning. He is the one negotiating deals. He comes to me when he feels there is a solid offer on the table that we should consider."

This isn't rocket science. Linden is the boss. Aquilini said Linden is in charge. Linden, presumably, can delegate as much as he likes.

Right, but all this can change whenever he wants.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Sums it up perfectly well.

Linden made a rookie mistake by sharing this information the way he did. Y2k and the other gentleman also made a mistake in openly sharing this information.

We complain about how management has hindered the trade value of recent players by speaking about them to various sources - and in turn lowering their potential value.

We should not repeat this same mistake.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The problem lies with Linden. I think the media and most fans are assuming that Linden and Benning's role is like that of other teams with a similar type of structure. Linden is the boss (Benning alluded to this when he first got hired). Therefore, it is up to Linden to define his role. If he wants final say on everything he can. If he wants to defer he can. It's up to him. Brian Burke, when he had Jay Feaster, made it known that he has the final say. With Treliving, Burke made it known that Treliving calls the shots. John Davidson, when he was with the Blues, was the face of the franchise and was quoted as saying that everything goes through him. In Columbus he defers to Kekäläinen. Sakic, was the one making the decisions from the start and just added the GM title without much ceremony. Shanahan, no doubt, came in with clear ideas of how he wanted his team built and is in full control. Neely was a strong voice in the room and no doubt now has full authority to direct his GM in terms of moves to be made in his vision. Linden, in comparison, still looks like a lost puppy who is bewildered by everything after a year into his job.

None of the guys I named above have problems answering questions. Even if they defer to the GM in terms of decision making or the day to day activities, they are generally kept well abreast of what is going on with the team. Benning reports to Linden. How hard is it for Linden to touch base with Benning for even 5 minutes a day to discuss any new developments. And if he doesn't know the answer, he can easily just say ask Benning. There's no shame in saying "You will have to ask Benning. He is the one negotiating deals. He comes to me when he feels there is a solid offer on the table that we should consider."

This isn't rocket science. Linden is the boss. Aquilini said Linden is in charge. Linden, presumably, can delegate as much as he likes.

Right, but all this can change whenever he wants.

I just think that much of Linden's job isn't player personnel, yet most fans and media only care about player personnel. So when you ask the wrong person, you are going to get the wrong answer. I'm sure over time he will defer more to Benning.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I just think that much of Linden's job isn't player personnel, yet most fans and media only care about player personnel. So when you ask the wrong person, you are going to get the wrong answer. I'm sure over time he will defer more to Benning.

The problem, therefore, is: why are we getting an answer at all? Differ, deflect, deflate.

Linden is a great guy, but the learning curve is small. I just hope he adjusts in time.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

He is a vetted source, and he seems like a great guy.

This does not change the fact that he could very well (and most likely) be in the dark about this situation - as would his brother.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He is a vetted source, and he seems like a great guy.

This does not change the fact that he could very well (and most likely) be in the dark about this situation - as would his brother.

As are we. Nobody has said anything that is concrete at the moment.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
If a boss isn't able to play the game well enough not to accidentally throw an employee under the bus when questioned about one of those things that he (maybe reasonably, as you said) knows nothing about, just because a camera's pointed in his face, then he's doing a bad job of being a boss, too. Any way you spin it, it's there.

Tiny Boom. ;)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

You should think again. Linden is the President of Hockey Operations. Go back to what Aquilini said at the time of Linden's hire. "Linden is responsible for all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations." This is a direct quote from the Canucks' own website and essentially a direct quote of what Aquilini said of Linden's role.

In my opinion, Linden (to his credit) has deferred a lot to Benning and pretty much let him run the operations because Linden doesn't know anything. But Linden doesn't want us to think he is incompetent so you see him show up to all the important meetings and you hear him talk as if he knows everything. The fact is he should know everything. That's his job description.

If an when Linden becomes comfortable, you will likely see him wield more influence and he will play a greater role in shaping the team much like Neely in Boston.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Trevor linden started a chain of fitness gyms he has never drafted, coached, or managed contracts.

jim benning is the gm and president, linden is a puppet learning on the job

Jim benning appears to suck at contracts but in my mind hes just making vancouver a prime ufa market that is desirable to be paid fairly.
Combined with
building and drafting character guys leads me to believe we get discounted contracts in the future when it matters, not when sbisa dorsett miller and prust make up 95% of benning cap criticism, we aint winning the cup so why not,

-tested mentor for markstrom no pressure to carry team, if it was lack and lack sucked markstrom has all the pressure, if miller sucks markstrom can shrug his shoulders as hes a rookie thrown to wolves on a bad team

-prust and dorsett excellet leaders for team, leader not art ross winner*

-jeuss christ lets see if sbisa can ever get nhl hockey, if we re rebuilding anyway we can improve our pick and see if he ever can improve as a player.

I cant understand the sbisa outrage because the canucks will not win and loss game 7 of the stanely cup final because of sbisa. We will not have prospects not defelop skills because of sbisa, we will not win so many games because of sbisa we dont draft high.

all that occurs with luca sbisa is he gets better and we have a 26 yr old physical defensemen who will die dor the team that gave him a shot, and basically refers to points 1 and 2 about character and over paying on contracts when it doesnt matter to build a good image.

benning is a new gm, give the man more than 7 months

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
You should think again. Linden is the President of Hockey Operations. Go back to what Aquilini said at the time of Linden's hire. "Linden is responsible for all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations." This is a direct quote from the Canucks' own website and essentially a direct quote of what Aquilini said of Linden's role.

In my opinion, Linden (to his credit) has deferred a lot to Benning and pretty much let him run the operations because Linden doesn't know anything. But Linden doesn't want us to think he is incompetent so you see him show up to all the important meetings and you hear him talk as if he knows everything. The fact is he should know everything. That's his job description.

If an when Linden becomes comfortable, you will likely see him wield more influence and he will play a greater role in shaping the team much like Neely in Boston.

Yeah...
There is a reason why Linden and Benning never say the same thing about the same situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad