Chris "Excellent powerplay killer" Higgins

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I don't hate Higgins, I hate that we have to rely on him for offense. It's not really his fault he's offensively challenged. He's a 3rd line player that should never be used as a 2nd liner or on the PP. If we had legit 2nd liners our depth players wouldn't be nearly as hated as they are.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Chris had a fantastic start to the year.

I am seriously concerned that his career might be over after this season.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
I don't hate Higgins, I hate that we have to rely on him for offense. It's not really his fault he's offensively challenged. He's a 3rd line player that should never be used as a 2nd liner or on the PP. If we had legit 2nd liners our depth players wouldn't be nearly as hated as they are.

pretty much this

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
You do realize for his cap-hit, he's been great right?

All these titles are just tongue-in-checks. All fun aside, it should be fairly obvious I like Higgins a lot. We are just far too reliant on him. He's only effective on a top six role if his linemates are aggressive scorers. Think Bickell, but better. We simply are asking him to do too much. That said, I still think trading him would be a mistake. Matthias is the boat anchor.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You do realize for his cap-hit, he's been great right?

No kidding.

He isn't a top-6 winger. He's a terrific 3rd-line winger on a good contract in a slump.

That the coaching staff foolishly keeps giving him PP time is just adding extra focus and pressure to a struggling player.

For the record, he's actually been better for the last 3-4 games, and hopefully that's a sign he's coming out of his slump.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
All these titles are just tongue-in-checks. All fun aside, it should be fairly obvious I like Higgins a lot. We are just far too reliant on him. He's only effective on a top six role if his linemates are aggressive scorers. Think Bickell, but better. We simply are asking him to do too much. That said, I still think trading him would be a mistake. Matthias is the boat anchor.

Matthias has like no value and trading or not trading him has little meaning now and for the future.

Higgins can at least fish a 2nd rounder.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Solid player being put in a position he is not suited for.

Coaching fail.
GM fail.

This is exactly right, guess people are mad Kass is being treated like he is so they need to turn their rage on someone else.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Solid pro, hard worker, gets chances, can't score.

His "slumps" last 40 and 50 games at a time. Not just offensively, but he often has long stretches of play where he just seems to not do much of anything.

His contract isn't bad, all things considered, he's good defensively, and he can probably get you 15 goals and 30 points. Has been invisible in the playoffs.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
He's the size that might score that teams tend to overpay for at the deadline. Wouldn't shock me.

I highly doubt it. Doesn't have the traditional or advanced stats to garner much attention.

And this is coming from someone who likes Matthias :P

I would rather trade Matthias for a 5th than Higgins for a 3rd.

I want us to tank but if it's anything less than a 2nd we might as well just keep him around.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Matthias has like no value and trading or not trading him has little meaning now and for the future.

Higgins can at least fish a 2nd rounder.

And we're stuck with a worse player. Higgins is snake-bitten to Burrows' extreme, but he's still getting a boatload of chances on net. Matthias has been nonexistent a lot since his surge with Richardson.

I bet you could get a 2nd/3rd for Matthias

I will trip over myself driving Matthias to the airport for a 2nd.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Love me some Higgs and hate some of the flack he gets around here at times. He's not the best fit for a 2nd liner, but he's a great 3rd liner and he's a character guy that works hard and think he'd be a good influence for the young guys.

I'd personally hate to see him go.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
And we're stuck with a worse player. Higgins is snake-bitten to Burrows' extreme, but he's still getting a boatload of chances on net. Matthias has been nonexistent a lot since his surge with Richardson.

I will trip over myself driving Matthias to the airport for a 2nd.
Matthias is just as snakebitten as Higgins maybe even more. Remember 2 games ago (I think it was 2) where he was literally doing everything right but just couldn't buy a goal.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Matthias is just as snakebitten as Higgins maybe even more. Remember 2 games ago (I think it was 2) where he was literally doing everything right but just couldn't buy a goal.

That's true. What separates them for me is versatility and consistency. Both are notoriously inconsistent offensively, but only Higgins can move around the lineup and play well for a decent stretch.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Who cares? If people really hate Matthias that much he can be let go this summer.

Trading Matthias and keeping Higgins gets us next to nothing.

Doing whatever with Matthias and trading Higgins gets us a decent piece.

Bo Jangles

Dec 25, 2014
White Rock, B.C.

I feel like Matthias has been one of our most dangerous forwards throughout the season (excluding the first 8 games) he does everything right, forechecks hard, gets the puck to the net, essentially everything that we want Zack to do. Unfortunately for him, he just hasn't gotten a break, he needs one to go in off someone stick or off his a** in order to get the monkey off his back. I think he's an integral piece in our team and seems to be one of the few that seems to show up night after night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I feel like Matthias has been one of our most dangerous forwards throughout the season (excluding the first 8 games) he does everything right, forechecks hard, gets the puck to the net, essentially everything that we want Zack to do. Unfortunately for him, he just hasn't gotten a break, he needs one to go in off someone stick or off his a** in order to get the monkey off his back. I think he's an integral piece in our team and seems to be one of the few that seems to show up night after night.

He passes the eye test and can make good individual plays to force turnovers/take the puck to the net ... but his offensive instincts are just awful, as is his ability to pass the puck and use his linemates.

He's like a crappier version of Mason Raymond, who would so often have games where he was all over the ice but finished with 0 points.

Bo Jangles

Dec 25, 2014
White Rock, B.C.
He passes the eye test and can make good individual plays to force turnovers/take the puck to the net ... but his offensive instincts are just awful, as is his ability to pass the puck and use his linemates.

He's like a crappier version of Mason Raymond, who would so often have games where he was all over the ice but finished with 0 points.

While I can respect that he isn't exactly Einstein between the ears, his game is nothing like Mason Raymond.. If anything, i'd say that a Raymond-Vey comparison is more apropos. Matthias is fairly strong on the puck and brings it to the net. Raymond would skate it down the wall, then spin back and throw it to the point, usually falling down in the process. I do however agree on the all over the ice but nothing to show for it though, but how much of that is just not getting a break? Do you think he's a better piece than Chris Higgins is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad