Rumor: Choose your coach from the final four (six?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok...so let's remove Chambers from this equation (because I understand he's bad at his job, and I have railed on him for that).

You're going to sit there and say that you believe a professional sports organization would risk a situation as I just described prior, just to make offers to multiple head coaching candidates?

You know how people talk like teams wouldn't stand in the way of their Assistant Coaches interviewing for this job because of "how bad it would be to prevent a promotion" and that "word travels fast about that"? It would be much worse for the Avs to give an offer to more than 1 candidate and risk having 2 (or more) come back and accept, only for the Avs to pick one and say "Sorry, you didn't accept it fast enough".

If that's what you believe, then I guess there's nothing else to discuss, because I won't want to devote any further time to it.

No, no, no. I think chambers is full of crap. I think he has no clue what's going on. If there's an offer out, it's to one guy. I just don't think that's what he meant.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No, no, no. I think chambers is full of crap. I think he has no clue what's going on. If there's an offer out, it's to one guy. I just don't think that's what he meant.

Well that's an entirely different scenario altogether, and one I'd be more inclined to agree with.

I was thrown off with the phrasing:

Lol offers. How stupid would it be if we had multiple offers out at the same time?

Which seemed to indicate you thought perhaps the Avs did/would put out an offer to multiple candidates.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well that's an entirely different scenario altogether, and one I'd be more inclined to agree with.

I was thrown off with the phrasing:

Which seemed to indicate you thought perhaps the Avs did/would put out an offer to multiple candidates.

No, I meant that chambers should know it would be stupid.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No, I meant that chambers should know it would be stupid.

Ok then. I think we can both agree that perhaps we're looking way too much into one little tweet.

I agree that he should know it would be stupid, but I also don't believe he'd be THAT incompetent to use it in that manner. But hey, potatoes/potahtoes, right?

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
This team would do itself a few favors if they were more transparent. Some of us really like the offers on stuff too. There is appeal to it as fans.. hint hint avs. NEW FANS..

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
What a weird off-season. Everything the Avs have done has been good. Those three finalists are the top three most of us would like to see hired.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

If Chambers is correct, that's too bad about Green. I would have liked to seen him get the job. I don't think they can go wrong with the other options though. All seem like solid choices.

I have limited knowledge of the AHL guys but my order of preference would be Bednar, Lambert, and then Dineen.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
What a weird off-season. Everything the Avs have done has been good. Those three finalists are the top three most of us would like to see hired.

Traded away Berra ................ check
Traded away Holden .............. check
Bought-out Stuart ................. check
Re-signed Mack long-term ...... check
Re-signed Barrie ................... check
Brought in a new head coach .. soon to be check

And didn't overpay or hand out a long contract to an UFA

The only thing missing was trading away Iggy. It's been great off-season otherwise.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Traded away Berra ................ check
Traded away Holden .............. check
Bought-out Stuart ................. check
Re-signed Mack long-term ...... check
Re-signed Barrie ................... check
Brought in a new head coach .. soon to be check

And didn't overpay or hand out a long contract to an UFA

The only thing missing was trading away Iggy. It's been great off-season otherwise.

At this point the only things that could possibly make it better is if they change the goal horn back to the old avalanche warning siren and they brought back the old jerseys.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This one from dater is more interesting...

At this point I'll be kinda of shocked if it isn't Dineen. All signs seem to be pointing at him being the guy. Plus as much as I dislike Dater, he seems to usually know what he is talking about when it comes to Avs rumors.

For me right now it's like 85% chance it's Dineen, 15% Bednar, and basically Lambert is the guy that is the failsafe, if we can't get either of our first two choices.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What kind of coach is Dineen though? What he did with the Panthers appears... familiar. He took a team that was going nowhere and made a division champ out of them but lost in the first round in 7 games....then had a bad 2nd year and missed the playoffs...then had a worse 3rd year and got fired.

Hmm...I've seen this before.

Last thing we need is a motivator type of coach. I'm not saying he's one (I don't know) but I hope we're not going this route again.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
What kind of coach is Dineen though? What he did with the Panthers appears... familiar. He took a team that was going nowhere and made a division champ out of them but lost in the first round in 7 games....then had a bad 2nd year and missed the playoffs...then had a worse 3rd year and got fired.

Hmm...I've seen this before.

Last thing we need is a motivator type of coach. I'm not saying he's one (I don't know) but I hope we're not going this route again.

I think "on paper" Panthers were worse team then than we are now. TBH based on our history and last two coaches experience I still expect AVS to make tha playoffs this season. The toughest thing is to sustain it in following seasons.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Forget Dineen as a Panthers coach, I'll be excited because he would come from the Hawks and probably have more Hawks influence than Panthers while back

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Could also be that they made an offer to one of the guys and he turned it down (maybe he wanted more than one year, etc.). So they moved on and madean offer to another candidate. That would satisfy the plural offers, but not be unprofessional. And I could see them doing that. Pick the best guy, offer him a year as a prove it (not unreasonable for a rookie coach). He says no, move on to the next one...at least until you decide an extra year commitment is less downside than dropping to the next guy on the list.

Offer Green a year...no
Offer Bednar a year..no
offer Lambert a year.no
offer Green 2 years...no
offer Bednar 2 years..no
Offer Dineen one year.
And so on.

Not saying that is what is going on. Not even saying it is likely. But it is possible (though I highly doubt it would stretch to that level). And it qualifies as offerS, even though only one is out there at a time.

They could also have put time limits on the offers, especially given the situation. Give first guy a day to think, but move on quick if he drags his feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia