Rumor: Choose your coach from the final four (six?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I was hoping something would be announced by now. I can't stop checking twitter now.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I saw in the DP's latest article that the just said it will be announced "within days" and did not say "as early as Wednesday" anymore.

I am interested to see if the Avs give any detail into this process after a selection is made other than the canned "we thought he was the best man for the job." I'd like to know who else was close.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I saw in the DP's latest article that the just said it will be announced "within days" and did not say "as early as Wednesday" anymore.

I am interested to see if the Avs give any detail into this process after a selection is made other than the canned "we thought he was the best man for the job." I'd like to know who else was close.

Hell no. The Avs will tell us that whoever they hire was the only candidate even considered. If we want more, we're going to have to hope it leaks from the interviewees themselves.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Avs probably wouldn't tell us regardless but apparently they've also agreed to not publicly talk about the candidates. I guess some or all of the teams who gave them permission to interview their guy don't want it out there, even though many names have already been leaked.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Part of me wants this to drag out a bit longer just so I can see how many times Frei and Chambers nonchalantly reporpose the same article with a different headline.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
For some reason, it always feels like this team delivers it's news on a Friday. That's where I'd put my money.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Part of me wants this to drag out a bit longer just so I can see how many times Frei and Chambers nonchalantly reporpose the same article with a different headline.

I can't stand that, I don't get why that's newspaper policy. If there's news, create another article. Wouldn't that get more clicks? They end up rewriting the same article 5 times, are people supposed to randomly reread the same article?

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
I think it's strategic for some reason PR wise. Or maybe they do it to ensure they can take weekends off after getting things done. :laugh:

Or so they have an excuse to be unavailable lol.

But the reality is they have to announce their decision as soon they know who they're hiring, because other teams need time to replace whoever the Avs hire.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

parks-and-recreation-Jean-Ralphio-the-worst-worst-woooorst-1372637673p.gif

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Lol offers. How stupid would it be if we had multiple offers out at the same time?

Could be just a couple of different offers to the same coach.

Hypothetical: "We'll give you 2 years at a higher salary, but 4 years at a lower one", and so on and so forth.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He should have just replaced Avalanche with his name and left it at that.

"Mike Chambers has nothing to report on naming next coach."

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I doubt that's what he meant.

Well...the Avalanche are a professional organization, no? As much as it pains me to defend Mike ****ing Chambers, I'm going to go ahead and do so.

It would make no sense for the Avs, as a professional sports organization, to table offers to multiple candidates because of how unprofessional it would be to have one candidate accept, and another attempt to accept only for the team to say, "Sorry, you're too late! Kthxbye!"

Common sense would indicate that when the use of "offer(s)" occurs, it is to indicate multiple offers to same candidate.

(I guess I believe that no matter how dumb/incompetent/inadequate at his job Mike Chambers is, I have a floor for that, and cannot see him insinuating the Avs making offers to multiple candidates)

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well...the Avalanche are a professional organization, no? As much as it pains me to defend Mike ****ing Chambers, I'm going to go ahead and do so.

It would make no sense for the Avs, as a professional sports organization, to table offers to multiple candidates because of how unprofessional it would be to have one candidate accept, and another attempt to accept only for the team to say, "Sorry, you're too late! Kthxbye!"

Common sense would indicate that when the use of "offer(s)" occurs, it is to indicate multiple offers to same candidate.

(I guess I believe that no matter how dumb/incompetent/inadequate at his job Mike Chambers is, I have a floor for that, and cannot see him insinuating the Avs making offers to multiple candidates)

I think you're giving chambers too much credit.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think you're giving chambers too much credit.

Ok...so let's remove Chambers from this equation (because I understand he's bad at his job, and I have railed on him for that).

You're going to sit there and say that you believe a professional sports organization would risk a situation as I just described prior, just to make offers to multiple head coaching candidates?

You know how people talk like teams wouldn't stand in the way of their Assistant Coaches interviewing for this job because of "how bad it would be to prevent a promotion" and that "word travels fast about that"? It would be much worse for the Avs to give an offer to more than 1 candidate and risk having 2 (or more) come back and accept, only for the Avs to pick one and say "Sorry, you didn't accept it fast enough".

If that's what you believe, then I guess there's nothing else to discuss, because I won't want to devote any further time to it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

IMO, common sense and precedents suggests that it's entirely possible Chambers is talking out of his ass, and not to read too much into the nuances of what he says. He could just be trying to suggest they're almost done with the process of speaking with multiple candidates.

Just trying to cover his bases like always, so he says offer or offers. Not realizing/caring that he's using a misleading sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad