Rumor: Choose your coach from the final four (six?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Traded away Berra ................ check
Traded away Holden .............. check
Bought-out Stuart ................. check
Re-signed Mack long-term ...... check
Re-signed Barrie ................... check
Brought in a new head coach .. soon to be check

And didn't overpay or hand out a long contract to an UFA

The only thing missing was trading away Iggy. It's been great off-season otherwise.

Dont forget rebuilt an entire AHL team, hired a new AHL coach, and a new assistant coach along with set up a prospect tournament lol.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Could also be that they made an offer to one of the guys and he turned it down (maybe he wanted more than one year, etc.). So they moved on and madean offer to another candidate. That would satisfy the plural offers, but not be unprofessional. And I could see them doing that. Pick the best guy, offer him a year as a prove it (not unreasonable for a rookie coach). He says no, move on to the next one...at least until you decide an extra year commitment is less downside than dropping to the next guy on the list.

Offer Green a year...no
Offer Bednar a year..no
offer Lambert a year.no
offer Green 2 years...no
offer Bednar 2 years..no
Offer Dineen one year.
And so on.

Not saying that is what is going on. Not even saying it is likely. But it is possible (though I highly doubt it would stretch to that level). And it qualifies as offerS, even though only one is out there at a time.

They could also have put time limits on the offers, especially given the situation. Give first guy a day to think, but move on quick if he drags his feet.

Maybe, but I have a feeling/hope they'll have a bit more confidence in their first choice. Whoever the new guy is deserves several years to show what he can do (unless he goes full Eakins). The Avs aren't going to lowball anyone. All these guys would love to be NHL HC's. I bet once that first offer is extended, there will be a deal in principle agreed to almost immediately. Guys aren't going to want to miss on this type of opportunity for an extra year of term or $100k on their contract.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The problem with that comment is that it would be a no brainer for that club in their situation.

I cannot complain about any of the final 3 though. All would be good choices.

This one from dater is more interesting...

Lol this totally reeks of dater only talking to ONE person and having that guy give him his opinion. (not necessarily connected to the Avs organization)

It could be Dineen but I still think it's going to end up being Bednar.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
At this point the only things that could possibly make it better is if they change the goal horn back to the old avalanche warning siren and they brought back the old jerseys.

Could we get rid of that woot-woot thing after they score?

And maybe offer a proper beer on tap in more than two places in the arena? Every third section sounds about right to me. :D

Quicksilver*

Sep 19, 2015
Still hope it's Bednar but I'm warming up to Dineen. Here's an interesting article on Dineen's experience winning the gold medal with the Canada woman's team.

One of the first moves he made was to replace the team captain. Would Landeskog lose the "C" if Dineen gets the job?

Id be worried if that happened... I know its worked before with thornton and marleau on other teams but id be worried that that might disrupt the room.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Still hope it's Bednar but I'm warming up to Dineen. Here's an interesting article on Dineen's experience winning the gold medal with the Canada woman's team.

One of the first moves he made was to replace the team captain. Would Landeskog lose the "C" if Dineen gets the job?

Different situations between the Avalanche and the Canadian NWT. Team Canada was going for Gold in a short tournament and struggling in the pre-tournament games. By the time 2014 had rolled around Wickenheiser was on the decline. Wickenheiser is a passionate player more in the vein of Duchene then Landeskog.

Players like Campbell and Ouellette have the calm demeanor closer to what Landeskog has. A good example is in 2002 when Wickenheiser ripped on the Americans after the game whereas Cassie Campbell didn't. Campbell in fact didn't even want to bring up the American's putting the Canadian flag on the floor.

What I believe we can take from the story is that Dineen isn't afraid to make decisions though. He identifies problems and gets them out of the way. So I'd say there's a good chance Iggy is put in the bottom 6 after the first day of training camp.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Different situations between the Avalanche and the Canadian NWT. Team Canada was going for Gold in a short tournament and struggling in the pre-tournament games. By the time 2014 had rolled around Wickenheiser was on the decline. Wickenheiser is a passionate player more in the vein of Duchene then Landeskog.

Players like Campbell and Ouellette have the calm demeanor closer to what Landeskog has. A good example is in 2002 when Wickenheiser ripped on the Americans after the game whereas Cassie Campbell didn't. Campbell in fact didn't even want to bring up the American's putting the Canadian flag on the floor.

What I believe we can take from the story is that Dineen isn't afraid to make decisions though. He identifies problems and gets them out of the way. So I'd say there's a good chance Iggy is put in the bottom 6 after the first day of training camp.

Everybody chant with me... DI-NEEN! Di-NEEN! DI-NEEN!!! :hockey:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Id be worried if that happened... I know its worked before with thornton and marleau on other teams but id be worried that that might disrupt the room.

I'm not worried in the least about that locker room getting disrupted. In fact, after watching this team fold and give up at the end of last season, I hope the room does get disrupted to some extent.

That said, I don't think the Avs' current choice of team captain is a problem. Plenty of other pressing issues for a new coach to address.

Quicksilver*

Sep 19, 2015
I'm not worried in the least about that locker room getting disrupted. In fact, after watching this team fold and give up at the end of last season, I hope the room does get disrupted to some extent.

That said, I don't think the Avs' current choice of team captain is a problem. Plenty of other pressing issues for a new coach to address.

Its true, and i echo your point basically. I dont believe the captaincy is the problem, therefore shouldnt be dealt with. As you said, plenty of other issues that are more pressing

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
What kind of coach is Dineen though? What he did with the Panthers appears... familiar. He took a team that was going nowhere and made a division champ out of them but lost in the first round in 7 games....then had a bad 2nd year and missed the playoffs...then had a worse 3rd year and got fired.

Hmm...I've seen this before.

Last thing we need is a motivator type of coach. I'm not saying he's one (I don't know) but I hope we're not going this route again./QUOTE]

The Avs need a HC that is a teacher, motivator, has effective systems and is adaptable.

Being an effective motivator as a coach is not to be underestimated. Some coaches well renowned as motivators included Lombardi, Wooden and Krzyzewski.

Quicksilver*

Sep 19, 2015
What kind of coach is Dineen though? What he did with the Panthers appears... familiar. He took a team that was going nowhere and made a division champ out of them but lost in the first round in 7 games....then had a bad 2nd year and missed the playoffs...then had a worse 3rd year and got fired.

Hmm...I've seen this before.

Last thing we need is a motivator type of coach. I'm not saying he's one (I don't know) but I hope we're not going this route again./QUOTE]

The Avs need a HC that is a teacher, motivator, has effective systems and is adaptable.

Being an effective motivator as a coach is not to be underestimated. Some coaches well renowned as motivators included Lombardi, Wooden and Krzyzewski.

Adaptable is the keyword there imo. Roy wasnt, and it showed

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Avs close to breaking something big and Dater is on vacation. Some things never change.

He doesn't really cover the team anymore, but rather the NHL in general, and he likely had the vacation planned (and approved for time off) before Roy resigned.

(but optically, it is kind of funny, yes.)

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
He doesn't really cover the team anymore, but rather the NHL in general, and he likely had the vacation planned (and approved for time off) before Roy resigned.

(but optically, it is kind of funny, yes.)

I know, I'm just riffing on him for all the times over the years where he was on vacation, on a plane, or stuck in an elevator when Avs news broke. ;)

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Could we get rid of that woot-woot thing after they score?

And maybe offer a proper beer on tap in more than two places in the arena? Every third section sounds about right to me. :D

Agreed with all previous suggestions...

Can we also:

Put Bernie down and revive Howler

Bring back the Dick Dale "Misirlou"/avalanche intro for each period

Steal John Kelly back from the Blues

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
That would be a very dumb decision if so.

Why though ?

Landeskog was at his best in my opinion, when he solely had to focus on hockey. He was grittier. He was focused. He was driven.

He still is one of the best left wingers we have had (and consistent) in ages with the C, don't get me wrong.

I'd love an EJ, or (and I know this won't be popular ) Duchene to get the C, and lead by example.

New coach means new opportunity and fresh ideas. I really think keeping things the same won't work anymore. We have stuck relatively close to the same playing roster - but we need a shake up, and I think that might sound the loudest message to tje players.

That said, I've often felt our playing group gets emotional and results follow based on that premise, so a decision like that could turn a roster against a new coach.

But, there may be accountability for the first time in a long time, so if this starts, players may get benched or traded - and in my view, that's what needs to happen, because I feel the playing group in Colorado have had too much influence for a long time. Wrestle back control.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Here it is.

EDIT: You got it.

If it's Dineen I'll be pretty pleased. The more I've considered him, the more I've had him at the top of my wishlist followed closely by Lambert and Bednar.

Mostly I just want this to be done and announced so we can start to dig way too deep into Dineen's past head coaching stuff and try to project it all over this roster for the next month and a half.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Sure wouldn't mind this being true.

Ehh I dunno. Maybe they are but I doubt AJ knows that. His constant shoot and miss with the Avs since the end of last season makes me think he knows a little less with the Avs then I thought. I respect his work far more than I did a year ago but he's proven that even though he clearly has credentials and has some "in" on the Avs that it's limited at best. When he starts talking about other teams rumors it's even more of a reach.

If Dineen looks to be leaving I'm sure Chicago has started the I initial stage to look for a new assistant but if that info made it public at all it would be put out there by someone else long before AJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad