Choose one: Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Rielly definately has a higher hockey iq, that is what will separate him from Gardiner down the road...love to keep em both though.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's a ridiculous question as there is no suggested return for either.

Change the premise to Pittsburgh offers Malkin for Reilly and Washington offers Ribeiro for Gardiner, or vice versa, and the answers may be very different.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
I'll defer my vote until I see Rielly in the NHL but I will say that I see no problem keeping both while at the same time seeing no problem trading one if the right deal (#1 C) comes around.

mikebel111*

i didn't vote
we have the luxury of having both
y should we choose one

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
i realize that gardiner is amazing, but i cant help but feel this poll would be even more one sided if Steve Spott wasn't a horrible coach

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
i realize that gardiner is amazing, but i cant help but feel this poll would be even more one sided if Steve Spott wasn't a horrible coach

Ugh, just remembering the last WJC makes me sick. Such a poor tournament overall, and Spott was at the heart of it. Hopefully Rielly gets a chance to shine in it next year.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
You ask me to choose one...I ask why? They are both a large part of our future defense and there is no need to choose between them.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Rielly for me. From what I've seen they're similar players in a lot of ways, but Rielly's hockey IQ is higher.

Still, I'd rather keep both, obviously. Big fan of Gardiner, even if I think Rielly will likely end up a bit better.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Rielly looks like he could be a good one, but Jake Gardiner scored 30P including 7G in 75GP as a 20-21 yo.

The kid was 42nd in defencemen points and 40th in defencemen goals as a rookie.

Rielly has yet to prove that he can take his game to the NHL. Gardiner already has been the best player on the ice in the NHL.

I take Gardiner if I have to choose. We'll be happy if Rielly can be a 0.72ppg defenceman in the AHL and a 0.4ppg defenceman in his first season in the NHL.

Classic case of the grass being greener on the other side...

first rounder

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
For everyone saying "keep both" or "I can't choose" or "why would we get rid of one of them"..... refer back to the OP

g1363796150564680336.jpg

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I picked Morgan Reilly.

Big assumption on my part cause he has not really played any meaningful games in the NHL.

I think he'll end up being a more all around D player. He has the ability to carry the puck and also can play some effective D. We'll have to see if he'll be able to transition his game into the faster and tougher NHL.

However, I'd only trade Gardiner once it appears that Morgan has what it takes to be an NHL player. And, I'd only trade Gardiner for whatever we need at that time that gets us some top notch value, otherwise, I keep them both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad