Choose one: Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly

first rounder

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
With Jake Gardiner just getting called up to the Leafs, and Morgan Rielly coming to the Marlies, this is an exciting and great opportunity for us to evaluate these two similar players.

Age aside, they have similar strengths (strong speedy skating and great offensive hockey IQ come to mind) and play the same role - an offensive defenceman. Just to compare the players, here is some information on both players, as per THN.

Jake Gardiner: Player Information
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 184 lbs
Shoots: L
Assets: Is a smart player with the puck. Skates well due to an effortless stride. Has offensive ability, likes to join the attack, and boasts all-round upside. Can quarterback a power play.
Flaws: Needs to fill out his relatively smallish 6-0 frame in order to withstand the rigors of the pro game. Must also become a little more assertive and aggressive, as well as keep his intensity level on high in defensive situations.

Morgan Rielly: Player Information
Height: 6'1/2"
Weight: 205 lbs
Shoots: L
Assets: Is a tremendous skater and possesses excellent offensive instincts for the game. At times, he can act as a fourth forward on the ice. Also knows how to run a power play effectively.
Flaws: Doesn't have ideal size for the National Hockey League game, so he must get physically stronger and prove capable of effectively defending against bigger professional forwards.

Obviously these are one websites opinions, but from watching videos of both players I would agree that these assets/flaws are more or less correct. Now, seeing that we have 2 players that are almost identical (in terms of potential and playing style), I think it would be safe to assume that one of them would be expendable in the right deal.

In our present situation its no secret that we need some help with the squad, most preferably a #1 center to play with Kessel (but we could also use a partner for Phaneuf, a proven goalie, etc.). If the right deal came our way to satisfy one of these needs and it was down to a decision to trade Gardiner or Rielly, which one would you keep?

EDIT: Lots of people want to keep both or can't make a decision (which is fair because we haven't seen alot of Gardiner with the Leafs, and Rielly with the Marlies this year). It would be optimal for the team to keep both of these awesome players, but the whole point of this is to pick the one player that you would want to keep long term. The other one would be part of a trade to address one of the teams primary needs (#1 center, etc.). Realistically, if we were to address one of these needs and trade for an elite player, either Gardiner or Rielly would more than likely have to be part of the deal.

Last edited:

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Neither. Puck movement is key in today's transitional NHL game, and we have 2 potentially elite PP QB's who can provide us with some of the best puck movement in the league in like 5 years.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Neither. Puck movement is key in today's transitional NHL game, and we have 2 potentially elite PP QB's who can provide us with some of the best puck movement in the league in like 5 years.

The question was which one do you want :P

If I had a gun to my head I'd choose Morgan, greater vision, thinks the game better, and is a couple years younger. But I hope we keep them both unless someone overpays like crazy.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Said deal would have to be really really good for us to move one of them. I'd rather not move either of them.

Gun to my head, I choose to die.
Okay, not really. I just really refuse to pick between two great young D prospects on our team.

first rounder

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
I think a lot of people have trouble with this. Which is why so many have been trashing Jake Gardiner lately. It's very odd. It's as if there is no room for two elite skating, puck moving defensemen on one team.

I would love to keep both of these players in the long-term, but if we could trade one of them to get a player with similar skill/potential in a position that we need (i.e. #1 center) I would definitely do it.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Is this like, keep for this season, or like, the future in general?

If we're just talking now, Jake, but long term I'm on the Rielly bandwagon.

Man it feels good to have two potentially elite prospects/young players for once :)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rielly is actually 6 1/2, 205 lbs. Let's not short change him. This is a bad poll, even with the Gardiner fans on this forum, this one is not going to be close.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is this like, keep for this season, or like, the future in general?

If we're just talking now, Jake, but long term I'm on the Rielly bandwagon.

Man it feels good to have two potentially elite prospects/young players for once :)

Rielly is an elite prospect, Gardiner is a very good prospect.

Big difference there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad