Choose one: Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It's a ridiculous question as there is no suggested return for either.

Change the premise to Pittsburgh offers Malkin for Reilly and Washington offers Ribeiro for Gardiner, or vice versa, and the answers may be very different.

Sorry, but I would never in a million years trade Gardiner for Ribeiro!

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
they are 2 different style players. Morgan is an end to end rusher, and jake is a silky smooth passer.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Phaneuf is a 2 way d. Maybe even more of a defensive d with a huge shot. And franson has been very solid defensively this year and with his size could develop a good 2way game

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Threads like this make me question just how some people within this fan base come up with their conclusions:

Gardiner:

*You've got one player who has looked like a shining light in the NHL so far

*Only missed out on the team this season because of injury & a crowded roster.

*He played 75 games in the NHL last year, and looked every bit like he belonged in the league and will likely go on and have a very impressive career regardless of where he plays.

*He's also the one player that fans have been clamoring to see in the lineup all year long.

Reilly

*The majority of the 120-odd votes for Reilly have likely never seen him play.

*Has ZERO NHL experience

*Has ZERO hockey experience outside of the Western Hockey League

*Is young, raw, unproven.

*Has a ton of pressure on his shoulders.

...there's only one option that people should be selecting here, and I"m surprised that many aren't.

But yes - the correct answer is both of them. You keep both unless you flip one of them for a franchise player.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Threads like this make me question just how some people within this fan base come up with their conclusions:

Gardiner:

*You've got one player who has looked like a shining light in the NHL so far

*Only missed out on the team this season because of injury & a crowded roster.

*He played 75 games in the NHL last year, and looked every bit like he belonged in the league and will likely go on and have a very impressive career regardless of where he plays.

*He's also the one player that fans have been clamoring to see in the lineup all year long.

Reilly

*The majority of the 120-odd votes for Reilly have likely never seen him play.

*Has ZERO NHL experience

*Has ZERO hockey experience outside of the Western Hockey League

*Is young, raw, unproven.

*Has a ton of pressure on his shoulders.

...there's only one option that people should be selecting here, and I"m surprised that many aren't.

But yes - the correct answer is both of them. You keep both unless you flip one of them for a franchise player.

Rielly is without a doubt the much higher potential player between the two.

Not saying he will, or is any more likely to reach his potential, but if both Gardiner and Rielly hit 100% of what they are capable of, Rielly will be the much more valuable piece.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
I think some people are missing the point of this poll and are playing ignorant for the sake of it.

The question is clearly 'who would you keep if you had to' even if its worded incorrectly.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
lays_chips.jpg

first rounder

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
Gardiner is tentatively slotted to start with Liles, as per siegel. This is definitely a great offensive pairing (which can hopefully generate a good attack for us), but I will be scared watching them play in the defensive zone.

leafspring*

Reilly but i could be wrong. Reilly's play making /vision is better. Skating is similar,Gards shot is better and he's stronger.

Thats the toughest poll in a bit to pick actually.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Why don't we wait to see how Rielly plays against people who shave first.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Phaneuf- Reilly
Gardiner- Franson
Gunnerson - Whoever

Is what I'd like to see down the road

In that top 6 I see 1 physical offensive defenseman, 3 non-physical offensive defensemen and 1 non-physical defensive defenseman.

That's not going to cut it.
Obviously we should keep gards AND reilly but I'd say gunnar needs to be upgraded to a bigger and stronger physical guy and Fraser can slot into the "whoever" spot.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Stronger and physical =/= good defenseman.

Gunnarsson is perfect for the Leafs. He's got a nagging injury and he's still our 2nd best D in our zone on most nights.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Im not picking. You have a high ceiling star calibre young D with NHL experience versus a higher ceiling elite calibre relatively unproven D.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Stronger and physical =/= good defenseman.

Gunnarsson is perfect for the Leafs. He's got a nagging injury and he's still our 2nd best D in our zone on most nights.

I love Gunnar and I want to keep him, I just mean if we want to keep all those puck-movers, we need to supplement the line-up with more shutdown guys who can handle the big 1C's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad