Choose one: Jake Gardiner or Morgan Rielly

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Conversations like this remind me of a certain Black Sheep song: This or That, This or That.....
Why trade either? If one is traded, then in a yr or two posters that wanted one gone will be B*tching and moaning of how F'd up our mgmt is. Look, if you've watched hockey long enough you'd understand that depth is an amazing thing, it helps during injuries(which are more than common).
Leave it alone, the two of them can co-habit the same line-up. It's something this team hasn't seen in ages; Talent depth on the blue line. Enjoy it.

first rounder

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
Rielly is actually 6 1/2, 205 lbs. Let's not short change him. This is a bad poll, even with the Gardiner fans on this forum, this one is not going to be close.

Thanks, changed his height and weight. I think the outcome will be interesting in the sense that Gardiner is ready to go NHL right now, whereas Rielly might take a little bit longer. The best thing to do is monitor the stats of both players in their upcoming games.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Rielly is an elite prospect, Gardiner is a very good prospect.

Big difference there.

Rielly is an elite prospect

Gardiner is BECOMING an elite NHL player. although im not as high on him as some on this board are i would be very very happy with a top 4 of Rielly-Phaneuf, Gardiner-Franson.

Gardiner is as close to as elite prospect as u can get

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Conversations like this remind me of a certain Black Sheep song: This or That, This or That.....
Why trade either? If one is traded, then in a yr or two posters that wanted one gone will be B*tching and moaning of how F'd up our mgmt is. Look, if you've watched hockey long enough you'd understand that depth is an amazing thing, it helps during injuries(which are more than common).
Leave it alone, the two of them can co-habit the same line-up. It's something this team hasn't seen in ages; Talent depth on the blue line. Enjoy it.

it kinda reminds me when we had pogge and rask..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I refuse to choose one.

Just like I refused to choose one of Kadri or Frattin.

Fearless Leaf*

Just between the two? Give me Rielly, I think the biggest difference between the two is their level of hockey IQ. I personally feel that Rielly has elite hockey IQ and also better desicion making skills than Gardiner. This is the biggest difference between the two and the exact reason why I believe Rielly can be a true #1 d-man in the mold of Duncan Keith(though may or may not be at his level) where else I see Gardiner as a strong #3 with the potential to become a decent top-pairing defender.

I also feel Rielly has enough time to grow into his defensive game and he also seems to be much farther ahead in his development at a similar age.

However, I won't vote primarily because I would want to keep em both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fearless Leaf*

Rielly is an elite prospect

Gardiner is BECOMING an elite NHL player. although im not as high on him as some on this board are i would be very very happy with a top 4 of Rielly-Phaneuf, Gardiner-Franson.

Gardiner is as close to as elite prospect as u can get

Slow down there buddy, Gardiner ain't even close to being an elite NHL player at this moment and even if he potentially could, he has a long way to go.

The only close elite player on this team ATM is Kessel.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks, changed his height and weight. I think the outcome will be interesting in the sense that Gardiner is ready to go NHL right now, whereas Rielly might take a little bit longer. The best thing to do is monitor the stats of both players in their upcoming games.

Thanks for changing it, no probs friend.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Even the Leafs hating THN has Rielly ranked at #19 in their top 50, that is pretty elite. Gardiner in all due respect was deemed expendable by the Ducks and was never as high as Rielly, he is a good prospect, very good infact, but not in the same catagory as Rielly was or is.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Like most, I refuse to answer the poll.

On a side note, I am absolutely stoked to see Rielly play his first pro game. This kid is gonna be magical in the AHL playoffs I think.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Eakins "don't compare Rielly to Coffey"

Dallas Eakins is about to take charge of the Leafs’ best offensive defenceman draft pick in years.

Which Eakins knows will be a test, not only for Morgan Rielly, but the organization and its often impatient fans.

“I don’t want him compared to Paul Coffey,†the Marlies coach said Monday on the phone from a road stop in Cleveland. “I want him to be Morgan Rielly. I don’t like how we do those comparisons in our city, young guys to great players of the past. I think you’re setting kids up to fail.â€

Rielly had a banner year for the Moose Jaw Warriors, 42 assists and 54 points in 60 games on a non-playoff team. He also had a trip to the world juniors for Team Canada and stopped by Leafs camp on his way home from Russia. The fifth pick overall in 2012 will join the Marlies Wednesday in Chicago and likely make his pro debut there Friday against the Wolves.

“The first thing he’ll find is the AHL is a step up, pace-wise,†Eakins said. “We’ll get a feel for what he can do.â€

Eakins already has one explosive six foot-plus, left-shooting defenceman with plenty of vocal supporters trying to get him in the NHL. However, unless the parent team’s losing streak gets longer and the lack of a puck-mover becomes apparent, Jake Gardiner will stay for at least Tuesday’s game in Cleveland. The Leafs are getting some heat for not recalling last year’s NHL all-rookie team member, though he’s been held to three assists in the past five games, during which the Marlies’ compiled a four-game winning streak.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/18/dont-compare-morgan-rielly-to-anyone-else-marlies-coach

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Luke schenn went #5 similar to Morgan Rielly.

Jake Gardiner went #17 , Eric Karlsson went #15.

Where you go in the draft doesn't always transulate into where you end up during your prime years say age 23-29..

Jake Gardiner is already proven at a young age he can play in NHL.

Morgan Rielly has to prove he can.. First in the AHL then the NHL.

BOTH are amazing prospects and we're lucky to have those kind of skaters and PMD... Leafs are set for the next 15 years in that respect if we develop both these guys the proper way and they stay healthy. It'll be nice when we have that issue with forwards or goalies!

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Rielly.

Also, I would not hesitate to move one of them if a deal for a legit #1 goalie/legit #1 RH defender/legit #1 centre were to pop up, depending on the other pieces in the deal of course.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Keep em both and find (draft-develop) big bruising stay at home dmen to partner these smooth skaters with.

Blacker, Nilsson and Granberg are all right handed shooters, hopefully at least one of them develop in to an NHL regular. And then we also have Holzer who even do he have his doubters is a good defensive prospect still.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The question was which one do you want :P

If I had a gun to my head I'd choose Morgan, greater vision, thinks the game better, and is a couple years younger. But I hope we keep them both unless someone overpays like crazy.

Really should rephrase that to neither option :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->