Cholowski's Ceiling

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
You guys do realize that Chychrun still has potential as well but more importantly has a lot of NHL experience. Chychrun already has 118 NHL games under his belt and is the same age as Cholowski. Just because one has already played in the league doesn't mean his growth and potential is capped as to what he is as a 20 year old guys. Chychrun is actually YOUNGER than Cholowski btw...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Whenever ceilings are discussed I always want to say, his ceiling is as high as wherever he lives! Sometimes 8 feet, sometimes 10 feet, hehe!:banana::dd::dm::devdance::dumbo::pickle::walrus::bb::bb:

Reactions: mantha39

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Imo he possesses number one defenseman talent.

If he ever reaches that remains to be seen. Right now he’s definitely a top four guy in Detroit.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Again, the difference between Cholowski and Smith is intelligence. Not just hockey intelligence, but basic intelligence.

That is the main reason he has so much potential.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You guys do realize that Chychrun still has potential as well but more importantly has a lot of NHL experience. Chychrun already has 118 NHL games under his belt and is the same age as Cholowski. Just because one has already played in the league doesn't mean his growth and potential is capped as to what he is as a 20 year old guys. Chychrun is actually YOUNGER than Cholowski btw...

Chychrun has less hockey IQ in all zones and worse puck handling ability. So not real worried about it. He should make some gains but he reminds me of Bogosian or Stuart. Useful #4 type guys, the only difference is Chychrun was diagnosed a little earlier in terms of questionable offensive upside so he slid before the draft unlike those guys. But big heavy athlete that is a useful player to be sure, but if he is playing above your #4 slot I think you don't have a cup contending team. Cholowski has more upside for me and by a comfortable margin.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Chychrun has less hockey IQ in all zones and worse puck handling ability. So not real worried about it. He should make some gains but he reminds me of Bogosian or Stuart. Useful #4 type guys, the only difference is Chychrun was diagnosed a little earlier in terms of questionable offensive upside so he slid before the draft unlike those guys. But big heavy athlete that is a useful player to be sure, but if he is playing above your #4 slot I think you don't have a cup contending team. Cholowski has more upside for me and by a comfortable margin.
Until he plays in the NHL against real regular season competition this is all pure speculation.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I completely disagree. I think he’s going to at least be a 3 and has the potential to be a 1. End of the day I see him as a very good #2

There's nothing in his game that indicates elite, but he is showing to be a solid all-around player. Reeks middle pairing to me. If we have to depend on this 20th overall pick to be our future #1, then I seriously doubt Wings are going to be an elite team any time soon.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
There's nothing in his game that indicates elite, but he is showing to be a solid all-around player. Reeks middle pairing to me. If we have to depend on this 20th overall pick to be our future #1, then I seriously doubt Wings are going to be an elite team any time soon.
Exactly. If you go to every single teams board it's filled with over optimism about their own prospects. We all thought Pulkinen was Brett Hull. Jurco was Datsyuk 2.0. Jarnkrok was Zetterberg 2.0 and untouchable etc etc.Now after a few preseason games people are saying Cholowski has OEL in his game and a Norris caliber defenseman lol. And if you question that logic you are "negative".

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Exactly. If you go to every single teams board it's filled with over optimism about their own prospects. We all thought Pulkinen was Brett Hull. Jurco was Datsyuk 2.0. Jarnkrok was Zetterberg 2.0 and untouchable etc etc.Now after a few preseason games people are saying Cholowski has OEL in his game and a Norris caliber defenseman lol. And if you question that logic you are "negative".

Sorry, not to burst your bubble, I never thought Pulkinen was anything great, let alone Brett Hull like, and Jurco wasn't even in the Datsyuk ballpark at any point and much the same with Jarnkrok in comparison to Zetterberg. These were 2nd and later round picks, maybe some here overrated, but I, and I assume almost no on thought we were getting anything great from any of those 3.

I would actually like to hear from someone who actually posted that they thought these three were the next players you claim them as.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I think Cholowski ends up a good all-around player, but his play in the offensive zone looks much better than the play in his own end at this point to me.

He needs to get better at gapping up bigger/faster players. Not sure I see the IQ in his own end shining through just yet.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

On the prospect board a lot of fans of neutral teams who aren’t tied to him talk about him in a different light. You’re going to get hypercritical takes of him on our board because we passed on him. It is what it is.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
On the prospect board a lot of fans of neutral teams who aren’t tied to him talk about him in a different light. You’re going to get hypercritical takes of him on our board because we passed on him. It is what it is.
Exactly we are very bias towards our own prospects let's not blind ourselves with our wishes and pretend that's the reality. Norris caliber defenseman but it is unknown if he can make the DRW opening night roster with a bunch of injuries and one of the worst d cores in the entire NHL LOL!

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What do you see in Chychrun (other than some experience) that leads you to believe that he will be a better player than Cholowski?
Never said he will be better it's too early to tell but he has almost 2 years of NHL experience and that can never be used as a negative because Cholo looks good in the preseason. He is younger than Cholo so all the optimistic thoughts can also be applied to him and maybe even more since is going to his 3rd season in the best league in the world....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Exactly we are very bias towards our own prospects let's not blind ourselves with our wishes and pretend that's the reality. Norris caliber defenseman but it is unknown if he can make the DRW opening night roster with a bunch of injuries and one of the worst d cores in the entire NHL LOL!
What he is right now, with present circumstances, is not the same as what he has a decent chance to become.

Currently, Cholowski is a very green kid who is on the NHL/AHL bubble. He shows good poise, effectiveness on offense, and rookie mistakes when defending.

But as he learns and continues to develop, I think he's at least a solid #3, and I'm coming around to the possibility of top pairing material.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yep.

It's not there yet but guy is the fastest learner and smartest kid on our team right now. Love to see that progress.

Same thing for Hronek still. It will just take some time, and as they continue to mature physically it will get easier for them.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Sorry, not to burst your bubble, I never thought Pulkinen was anything great, let alone Brett Hull like, and Jurco wasn't even in the Datsyuk ballpark at any point and much the same with Jarnkrok in comparison to Zetterberg. These were 2nd and later round picks, maybe some here overrated, but I, and I assume almost no on thought we were getting anything great from any of those 3.

I would actually like to hear from someone who actually posted that they thought these three were the next players you claim them as.
Go look at the threads when Jurco was drafted. Look at the threads when Jarkrok was traded. Or whe Pulk was scoring every night for GR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad