Cholowski's Ceiling

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Here's hoping that Dennis Cholowski has an awesome training camp, And preseason and makes it difficult on Holland to choose.

Watching him in the WHL last season I would say that he's still too raw defensively to make the NHL. He needs to play at least a season against men in the AHL before he will be ready to sniff the big club.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The goalie couldn't save a beach ball. Also, way too many penalties which also hurt the team badly. I am pretty sure you can't take anything away from that game besides that goalie should reconsider his career choice.
That could be the case, but the goalie could apparently stop the puck reasonably well in the first two periods. I didn't see the game but it sounds like Columbus really got after it in the third and we couldn't do much to stop them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
MOD

Not hoping (MOD injuries related), but I could give a high probability for that. Or Green getting back problems, or Ericsson hip problems etc.

Those vets are not gonna have 100% seasons with their former history. Daley also was quite injury-prone in the past. So what looks now our TOP6 in theory, the truth throughout the season will be different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I'd defer to you there for sure. I knew he was a top pairing guy and did way more with his career than the other 2 guys that plateaud pretty quickly , but I didn't know if he effected the geometry on ice from a tactical standpoint, to the degree murphy and lidstrom did.

He absolutely did. Guy was a surgeon back there, a lot like Lidstrom in the offensive zone actually except he held onto the puck and relied on his own puck skills more than Nick, who passed more when pressured directly. His defensive game didn't come together until Ken Hitchcock got ahold of him, but he was always a terrific o-zone quarterback. Led the Cup-winning '94 Rangers in points in the regular season.

I'd be beyond thrilled if Cholowski ever became half of what Zubov was.

Reactions: FMichael and opivy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Watching him in the WHL last season I would say that he's still too raw defensively to make the NHL. He needs to play at least a season against men in the AHL before he will be ready to sniff the big club.

I dont think it would hurt him at all to get a year down there. I also wouldnt care if he starts in the NHL because I think compared to this team hes one of the 6t best and wouldnt be wasting away in the press box. Might be better to start him in the AHL, keep Hronek and Hicketts with the team, then when Daley is likely gone at the deadline call him up full time if hes doing well down in the AHL. Have him as the first injury call up.

Of course none of this is taking Sulak into consideration. If he has a good preseason hes 24 and has played against men so even if he gets stuck in the pressbox it wouldnt matter as much. They should be at bare minimum be moving on from Jensen this preseason

Reactions: jkutswings

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Looks like people are joining my former PR spin now. :)
I see you're once again misrepresenting my "PR spin" comment, I have to assume intentionally.

As I've stated many times my "PR spin" comment was referencing negative talk on Chychrun and had nothing to do with praising Cholowski.

But if you didn't intentionally misrepresent what I said then you wouldn't get to champion your heroic cause, would you?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I see you're once again misrepresenting my "PR spin" comment, I have to assume intentionally.

As I've stated many times my "PR spin" comment was referencing negative talk on Chychrun and had nothing to do with praising Cholowski.

But if you didn't intentionally misrepresent what I said then you wouldn't get to champion your heroic cause, would you?

It was not meant against you, it was against other Cholowski doubters. Just because he was not known for people, it felt like a worse prospect than Hronek. Now, he will overtake Filip and take his spot as our most potential NHL D easily.

This has been going on since the prospect voting at least...

Last edited:

Blueliner70

Mar 16, 2018
He is getting a long look this preseason. 23.33 minutes played last night vs Pitt. 2 assists. I have him projected as a second line defender.

He is perhaps the smoothest skating of all the Wings defensive prospects. His game has really come along. I expect Cholowski and Hronek to break camp with the Winged Wheels.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He continues to get huge minutes, which includes PP, PK, and going against the other team's top lines.

There is no way he won't be one of the starters opening night ( barring injury).

Reactions: TheMule93

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What separates him from our other defence prospects is his exquisite poise with the puck.
He has ice in his veins for sure. Havent seen a red wing dman come up and look half as poised as he does

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
My favorite part about cholowski other than his awesome edgework is his uncanny ability to get pucks through to the net. His wrist shot is lethal. Its not super hard but it always makes it through for some reason.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Interesting. Even HSJ is labeling Cholo as one of the top two candidates to start the season with Detroit:

Detroit Red Wings have defense prospects ready as injuries accumulating

"The Wings already were preparing to start without Green, who has been battling a virus infection. He is doing better, but has yet to rejoin practices. On top of Xavier Ouellet being bought out over the summer, that meant two defense prospects would start the season in Detroit.

"The leading candidates for those spots are Dennis Cholowski and Libor Sulak.

"Pending further injuries before the preseason ends Saturday, it looks like the only veteran defensemen available against Columbus are Niklas Kronwall and Nick Jensen. That could translate to prospects Filip Hronek and Joe Hicketts also being on the opening roster, likely with Luke Witkowski serving as a reserve defenseman."

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting. Even HSJ is labeling Cholo as one of the top two candidates to start the season with Detroit:

Detroit Red Wings have defense prospects ready as injuries accumulating

"The Wings already were preparing to start without Green, who has been battling a virus infection. He is doing better, but has yet to rejoin practices. On top of Xavier Ouellet being bought out over the summer, that meant two defense prospects would start the season in Detroit.

"The leading candidates for those spots are Dennis Cholowski and Libor Sulak.

"Pending further injuries before the preseason ends Saturday, it looks like the only veteran defensemen available against Columbus are Niklas Kronwall and Nick Jensen. That could translate to prospects Filip Hronek and Joe Hicketts also being on the opening roster, likely with Luke Witkowski serving as a reserve defenseman."

Getting to watch Cholowski would be great and a big step up from Hicketts or Sulak.

Would be the best young D we have had to watch in awhile. Hopefully he grabs a spot and moves up the left side of our depth chart, which I think is pretty poor.

Reactions: mantha39

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
My favorite part about cholowski other than his awesome edgework is his uncanny ability to get pucks through to the net. His wrist shot is lethal. Its not super hard but it always makes it through for some reason.
That’s what having your head up does. If you look down before you shoot you lose the lane.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Cholowski's ceiling is a Norris-caliber defenceman. More I watch him, I get to this conclusion of his maximum potential.

He is just that swiss army knife which can do everything. And it looks easy.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think Cholowski's ceiling is a Norris-caliber defenceman. More I watch him, I get to this conclusion of his maximum potential.

He is just that swiss army knife which can do everything. And it looks easy.
Hehe, you make him sounds kinda like this guy:

TheHockeyNews

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I’ve been saying it for a while, maybe not so much on these boards, but Cholowski has top pair potential. He has mad some mistakes in preseason like everyone, but the kid is super smart and will figure it out. They told him he needs to gain weight and strength the last two years and he did exactly that each year. I think he could step into Detroit now and within a month limit his mistakes a ton and be a top 4 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->