GDT: CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game 2024

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Thought I’d give my thoughts here since as someone who follows EU, my notes won’t mean much for this game - I still want to get my voice out there for this game, though. Here are some guys that have really impressed me.

Team Red

Raoul Boilard
Probably the biggest surprise this game for me. He played a really strong game, he orchestrated a good amount of quality chances for team red throughout, he really showcased his positioning in the offensive zone, where it feels as if the puck was following him around the offensive zone.

Cole Beaudoin
Really strong power game, was able to get 2 breakaways because of his skating, didn’t finish on either but played a high temp, in your face game all night. Like his potential to be a middle6 option at the next level. Definitely improved his stock here.

Charlie Elick
Really had a great night, he was excellent in his own zone, anticipating plays and breaking them up with his stick. Closing out very well, and being great at defending the front of the net. Also did an excellent job allowing Parekh to Jump in the offence. Really a standout performance here.

Adam Jecho
Really strong on the puck all night, very difficult to knock it off of him when he had it. Very interesting player due to his size and finesse ability, would have liked to seem him be more physical but that should come in time.

Lukas Matecha
Was a big reason why red won the game, white was the better team throughout but Matecha was fantastic in the second half. Great athleticism in the crease and made some really unorthodox saves. White doesn’t win without him.

Team White

Liam Greentree
Played on the most dangerous line for team white all night. Really smart with where he was putting himself on the ice, showcased a very nice shooting ability and his ability to think ahead in the game. I would have given player of the game to Greentree, personally.

Carter Yakemchuk
Very flashy this game, i counted 3 occasions where he carried the puck past the blueline and tried some nice stick moves to cut to the net, doesn’t lack confidence in the offensive zone. Probably the best defender at retrieving pucks all game, and turning defence to offence. Definitely some questionable plays, and maybe he does too much but he really showcased what we’ve seen all season from him.

Lukas Fischer
Loved how steady he was in his own zone, he was a rock in his own zone, keeping the speedy forwards to the outside. Very physical, and good at clearing the front of the net. He was looking for contact all night and was really hard in front of the net. Not much offence but his defensive play really impressed

Tij Iginla
Another flashy preformance, this time by Iginla. He was really moving around the ice and showcasing his skating ability and puck skills. Made some really smart plays throughout just couldn’t finish. At times did a little too much but you got to applaud the effort, very nice game.

Beckett Sennecke
Him and Greentree had natural chemistry in this one - Sennecke showcased his creativity and puck skills throughout. Was strong on the puck and was able to consistently generate offence when he was on the ice.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
There's times where Parekh reads the play so well & makes offensive plays that not many can make (and his skating helps) then there's these major redflags in the other end.

Its like right as I'm starting to buy into his 'impact player' potential another red-flag pops up.
He was errant defensively in this game, beautiful talent, beautiful skater, great vision and offensive skills, but the compete wasnt there tonight.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I liked Mews tonight. Super heads up puck-mover that just doesn't panic, very good mobility aswell.

Iginla really showed his poise, puck skills, & shiftiness. Attributes (on-top of strength) that could make him a very good complimentary top 6 winger imo.

Out of the top 15 rated Dmen (Dickinson, Yak, Parekh) I thought Yakemchuck was the best. Not a perfect game for Yak but it was a snapshot of what he can bring;

Competes hard all over the ice, very capable defender, & can create offense by himself as good as anyone in the class. Only thing missing was his physical game (which is normally evident in Calgary). Though not perfect decision making, will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the NHL pace.

Parekh didn't compete defensively & Dickinson was very solid but didn't make a huge impact.

horner

May 22, 2007
Thought I’d give my thoughts here since as someone who follows EU, my notes won’t mean much for this game - I still want to get my voice out there for this game, though. Here are some guys that have really impressed me.

Team Red

Raoul Boilard
Probably the biggest surprise this game for me. He played a really strong game, he orchestrated a good amount of quality chances for team red throughout, he really showcased his positioning in the offensive zone, where it feels as if the puck was following him around the offensive zone.

Cole Beaudoin
Really strong power game, was able to get 2 breakaways because of his skating, didn’t finish on either but played a high temp, in your face game all night. Like his potential to be a middle6 option at the next level. Definitely improved his stock here.

Charlie Elick
Really had a great night, he was excellent in his own zone, anticipating plays and breaking them up with his stick. Closing out very well, and being great at defending the front of the net. Also did an excellent job allowing Parekh to Jump in the offence. Really a standout performance here.

Adam Jecho
Really strong on the puck all night, very difficult to knock it off of him when he had it. Very interesting player due to his size and finesse ability, would have liked to seem him be more physical but that should come in time.

Lukas Matecha
Was a big reason why red won the game, white was the better team throughout but Matecha was fantastic in the second half. Great athleticism in the crease and made some really unorthodox saves. White doesn’t win without him.

Team White

Liam Greentree
Played on the most dangerous line for team white all night. Really smart with where he was putting himself on the ice, showcased a very nice shooting ability and his ability to think ahead in the game. I would have given player of the game to Greentree, personally.

Carter Yakemchuk
Very flashy this game, i counted 3 occasions where he carried the puck past the blueline and tried some nice stick moves to cut to the net, doesn’t lack confidence in the offensive zone. Probably the best defender at retrieving pucks all game, and turning defence to offence. Definitely some questionable plays, and maybe he does too much but he really showcased what we’ve seen all season from him.

Lukas Fischer
Loved how steady he was in his own zone, he was a rock in his own zone, keeping the speedy forwards to the outside. Very physical, and good at clearing the front of the net. He was looking for contact all night and was really hard in front of the net. Not much offence but his defensive play really impressed

Tij Iginla
Another flashy preformance, this time by Iginla. He was really moving around the ice and showcasing his skating ability and puck skills. Made some really smart plays throughout just couldn’t finish. At times did a little too much but you got to applaud the effort, very nice game.

Beckett Sennecke
Him and Greentree had natural chemistry in this one - Sennecke showcased his creativity and puck skills throughout. Was strong on the puck and was able to consistently generate offence when he was on the ice.
Thanks

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Parekh was fine, though I don't have high expectations of him defensively. It's hard to know when he will be picked in the draft. The skill, skating, and offensive IQ is excellent. Defensive commitment isn't that bad, thought he showed a decent stick a couple of times. Has a bit of a Calen Addison attitude to his defense(not a good thing). If scouts think he will put on an inch or so and 20 lbs. in the next 2-3 years it's hard to see him not being picked at least top 15.

Yakemchuk reminds me of Korchinski. Might he have a similar rise in the draft late? That size, with skating, skill, and physicality to boot.

Liked Dickinson, but seemed to be one of those games where things didn't click for him.

Elick... man, physical, really good skater, has size. He'd have to be really terrible at something not to be a 1st rounder.

Greentree was the one who popped out to me as a future NHL'er. Yes, his skating needs work, but I liked his instincts, and he was a man amongst boys out there with his strength and size. Unless he simply stops developing I can easily see him being a power forward in the NHL. He has been compared to JRob... I don't really see that. He plays more of a power, and puck possession game. JRob was more about IQ.

Catton looked ok, but certainly didn't impose himself on the game.

If Perascak hit the net he might've had a couple of goals. Goal scorer's release.

I liked Iginla. Seemed to make good decisions, and had the skill to carry them out, though nothing jaw dropping.

I've forgotten who it was, but the last goalie for Team Red(?) made some nice stops.

Overall, I think it's a mistake to give too much credence to a one off game. They tend to favor the athletic specimens, rather than the players who play well within the framework of a team. Still, it's fun to see them all together.

Reactions: Hinterland

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023

This is waaaay better. USNTDP/NCAA 17-18 year olds like Buium??

Guess makes me question where someone like Macklin or Fantilli plays. Maybe they don’t.

they probably do canada vs usa as is tradition

Reactions: Chainshot

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH

This is waaaay better. USNTDP/NCAA 17-18 year olds like Buium??

Guess makes me question where someone like Macklin or Fantilli plays. Maybe they don’t.

I agree this will be fun to watch. Although it will most likely be a mix of USHL and NTDP players like they do for the All American prospects game every year. Will probably become a CHL vs USHL based series with some NTDP guys sprinkled in.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
This will be tons of fun.
Been a long time coming. Hopefully we can eventually see a mini series between club teams. I'll always remember when watching the USHL top prospects game in 2016 then commissioner Fallon said in an interview they were trying to get a "border battle" series with the Canadian CHL but it ended up going nowhere. Nobody really picked up on that comment because back then the USHL game wasn't really in the public eye unless you were a big prospect watcher.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Been a long time coming. Hopefully we can eventually see a mini series between club teams. I'll always remember when watching the USHL top prospects game in 2016 then commissioner Fallon said in an interview they were trying to get a "border battle" series with the Canadian CHL but it ended up going nowhere. Nobody really picked up on that comment because back then the USHL game wasn't really in the public eye unless you were a big prospect watcher.
Yeah, I think it's finally to the point where it could be a fairly competitive event. I think the the USHL is in the same tier as the WHL and QMJHL, but combining all 3 CHL leagues would give a significant edge in a top prospects type, though some of the CHL's advantage is in having an older player base, so the draft eligible game could be more competitive.

The club vs club stuff would be particularly interesting.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Is there 2 games for the chl top prospects?
It’d be cool if there was 3, one for each league, combine the super series and Prospects game.

Yeah, I think it's finally to the point where it could be a fairly competitive event. I think the the USHL is in the same tier as the WHL and QMJHL, but combining all 3 CHL leagues would give a significant edge in a top prospects type, though some of the CHL's advantage is in having an older player base, so the draft eligible game could be more competitive.

If the USHL brings NTDP kids, I see no reason why they wouldn’t be the favourites, unless they’re not able to.

Reactions: Blueston

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH

Agree, the USHL is absolutely in the same tier, it's one of the best junior leagues in the world now - people are going to see just how good some of these USHL kids are (from a Canadian perspective). Everyone talks about the NTDP kids and who's in the NCAA, but there's 15 other really good teams in the USHL that produce several players for the draft every year.

I should also say, it's not just a USA vs Canada thing as there's some really good Canadians that come to our league every year. Look at some of the kids that get tendered every year - a number of them are from Canada and it's not a bad thing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Team Red

Raoul Boilard

Cole Beaudoin

Charlie Elick

Adam Jecho

Lukas Matecha

Team White

Liam Greentree

Carter Yakemchuk

Lukas Fischer

Tij Iginla

Beckett Sennecke

Still don't get why Czechia didn't pick Matecha for the WJC20. Extremely reliable and consistent. Big, very mobile, athletic goalie. Played a fantastic season, pretty close from Spunar and Meneghin who I think are the CHL's top goalies but also older than Matecha. Should definitely get drafted.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Still don't get why Czechia didn't pick Matecha for the WJC20. Extremely reliable and consistent. Big, very mobile, athletic goalie. Played a fantastic season, pretty close from Spunar and Meneghin who I think are the CHL's top goalies but also older than Matecha. Should definitely get drafted.
You said it yourself in some other thread- the Czech coaches went allin with Hrabal. Had he not sucked in the brozne medal game, the backup doesn't see a minute at the tournament. So it was better to leave Matecha in the CHL, where he gets to play.
He was a borderline NHL prospect last year already and has shown nothing but progress since then, so I assume he does get drafted this time around and it doesn't have have to be a late round either, considering how weak this year's goalie class is looking.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If the USHL brings NTDP kids, I see no reason why they wouldn’t be the favourites, unless they’re not able to.
Perhaps, especially with the benefit of chemistry. I still think there is probably a bit more draft eliginble talent in the CHL than in the US.

Even in 2019, a really strong year for American prospects, the USHL had 9 total first rounders vs 13 CHL'ers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00