Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
There has been a notable amount of praise directed Talvitie's way from many different analysis almost as soon as we made the pick. People really like this guy.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There has been a notable amount of praise directed Talvitie's way from many different analysis almost as soon as we made the pick. People really like this guy.
When he was drafted, I remember some nice things said about him, but more along the lines of "good character" or "plays in all zones" sort of stuff.

Not so much said about his offensive ability. Which may not have been fair given he had a very nice u-18 WJC with a 4-3-7 in 7 gp's.

But we are now hearing more about, and seeing, the offensive potential.

Someone said it above, but he does have a very Anderson like profile. High character, not overly dynamic offensively, but hard working, blue collar offense capped off by a nice shot.

Reactions: My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think it's time we start trading all our AHL/NHL tweeners for 6th round picks :naughty:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They're certainly no Rehills or Chathams but yeah, they could be ok

Cormier was a big reach that flopped but if The Finn, Davies, Seney and even Chainey pan out, Ray Castron deserve high praise

Our late round picks can end up better than our 2nd rounders like Bastian and MBW

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Cormier was a big reach that flopped but if The Finn, Davies, Seney and even Chainey pan out, Ray Castron deserve high praise

Our late round picks can end up better than our 2nd rounders like Bastian and MBW
Isn't Seney a Conte pick?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I care about Rykov and am disappointed to lose him, but I am not sure if the Devils could've signed him next off-season. If they weren't confident about that - and let's say they were 20% - that means there's a strong chance that he would've had very limited value to the team, even though he might be a fine player.

Reactions: My3Sons and NJDevs

NJDevs

Jun 28, 2018
New Jersey
And @Devils Dominion high fives you and invited @Nico the Draft Riser to come join in on the melancholy fest

Not sure what this means.

But, to better clarify, my disappointment stems more from the trade as a whole, including the 2nd rounder and in consideration of our trading partner. And that's not 20/20 hindsight speaking. I didn't like the idea of deadline rentals when the team was just barely vying for a wildcard spot. It didn't make sense at the time, and I still consider it one of Shero's few mistakes. The Devils have been struggling to produce home-grown defensemen, so losing one with decent potential (admittedly, debatable potential) is bothersome.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I care about Rykov and am disappointed to lose him, but I am not sure if the Devils could've signed him next off-season. If they weren't confident about that - and let's say they were 20% - that means there's a strong chance that he would've had very limited value to the team, even though he might be a fine player.

I think your point gets lost in the discussion of that trade. I agree with you. I don’t think Rykov had any interest in signing an ELC with NJ to leave the KHL. It’s a shame he went to the NYR instead of some team out west, but regardless of how good he may be I don’t think he wanted to play for the Devils and unlike a North American player he had another option. If I had to bet I’d bet that Shero did his due diligence and both scouted and communicated with Rykov before making him part of the trade. I’m guessing if the fans could figure out Rykov was a promising player that Shero and the pro scouts could as well.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
willing to bet that rykov tops out as a perfectly replaceable 2nd pairing defenseman. yeah, it would be nice to have another one but now with smith, butcher and the potential for mueller, davies, sissons, etc. it's not going to kill this team to not have a player that may or may not come over and may or may not have any meaningful impact on a team.

plus the goal of the trade was to help the team make the playoffs. mission accomplished.

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad