Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
And I would gladly look silly in that case. I root for the players on my team. I also have the right to be critical of some things regarding them. But I never root against players on my favorite team.
It is the summer, we understand your position on certain trades and picks. When you even it out Shero and company still get an A+, Zacha isn't even a new regime pick. Most likely a Conte favorite. Anton Strolman wasn't anything until mid 20's, there is time for Mueller, especially considering his size and skating.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's not revisionism when you hate the trade the second it happens and predict the actual outcome.

I do think that acquiring Mueller was a bad move. And I didn't like the Zacha pick. I still don't. Those are my thoughts and nothing someone else says will change that.

I hated the Blackwood pick just as much. Made no sense at all. I hate wasting picks on goaltenders.

What if someone offered you ten million dollars to change your thoughts? I think you'd change them then. Just kidding. Reasonable minds can differ.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And I would gladly look silly in that case. I root for the players on my team. I also have the right to be critical of some things regarding them. But I never root against players on my favorite team.

I wanted Barzal, and didn't much like the Mueller trade either, but where we differ is, once Mueller and Zacha were in the fold, I'll root for them like I loved them at the time of the pick.

Saying you root for a guy yet constantly complain about the acquisition of said player is def playing both sides of the table.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wanted Barzal, and didn't much like the Mueller trade either, but where we differ is, once Mueller and Zacha were in the fold, I'll root for them like I loved them at the time of the pick.

Saying you root for a guy yet constantly complain about the acquisition of said player is def playing both sides of the table.
Well, to he honest, while I root for the entire team, I do complain about Zacha. Not that we drafted him (although I *DID* want Barzal) but I'm just getting a little impatient with him and think he needs to show a good amount of progression next year or I'm going to write him off in my mind as a defensive player who can score a little.

Presumably he'll be with good wings and he'll have no excuses not to take a big step forward.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just don't understand being impatient with a kid that just turned 21 and *did* show signs of improvement last year

most forwards his age are barely breaking into the league

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I just don't understand being impatient with a kid that just turned 21 and *did* show signs of improvement last year

most forwards his age are barely breaking into the league
I also don't understand putting too much judgement in where he's selected, if he was a 4th rounder, we'd be tickled pink with him.

We took Miles Wood in the 4th round in the 2013 draft and and count that as a steal basically, but imagine if we took him in that draft 6th overall? I don't know if he would have made it to last year.

These kids, and we really do need to remember they are kids, have no control on where they're selected, I think it's a huge mistake for fans to keep hanging over their heads something they're not responsible for.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The big thing is people forget they are kids.

Yeah you got exceptions of kids hitting the ground running, but it is just that. Exceptions. Not the rule.

This is also a part of a proper rebuild. Being patient with the kids as they grow.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well, to he honest, while I root for the entire team, I do complain about Zacha. Not that we drafted him (although I *DID* want Barzal) but I'm just getting a little impatient with him and think he needs to show a good amount of progression next year or I'm going to write him off in my mind as a defensive player who can score a little.

Presumably he'll be with good wings and he'll have no excuses not to take a big step forward.
Sure there is room for criticism, I'll criticize Zacha a bit, I'll criticize Butcher too, guys on the team should be open for criticism so this is not a big kumbaya session. So maybe it's a matter of degree, but it's also a matter of living in the present. Constantly complaining about the pick itself, years after the fact, is different then criticizing an aspect of the players current game.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Should switch to number 14, now that it's available. He used to wear it in Sarnia. Looked good on him. Better than 37. Which was a number given to him.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Just an FYI for everyone, he also said there was a VERY slim margin between Tier II and III.

-edit-
He also hinted that Pronman's ranking of the 31 prospect pools where he's releasing 2 per day (starting from #31) won't include the Devils any time this week, which puts us in the top 18 minimum.
Actually #20. Pronman just posted it an hour ago.

I understand the drop from #5 because of Nico is now taken off, but we added Ty Smith and I don't remember many years where our prospects have progressed like this group has.

The one thing that does hurt us is goaltending.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
FWIW I think we have a lowly ranked pool for good reason. Zero top end talent. Smith is a nice piece but he’s not a top-tier guy. We have possibly the best depth in the league but we don’t have anyone who belongs in the top tier.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
At the end of his article, he listed his top ten Devils players 23 or under:

1. Nico Hischier, C
  2. Jesper Bratt, LW
  3. Pavel Zacha, C
  4. Will Butcher, D
  5. Ty Smith, D
  6. Jesper Boqvist, C
  7. Steve Santini, D
  8. Michael McLeod, C
  9. Miles Wood, LW
  10. Joey Anderson, RW
THIS, IMO is a better way to gauge how teams are making out with young talent, but I do understand why they do it this way taking players like Nico and Bratt off the lists, I don't agree with it mind you.

BTW, kinda surprised at who he has at #3.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Here are Pronman's rankings - I took out the comments...not sure how much of the article I can/can't post.

Prospect Rankings

VERY GOOD NHL PROSPECT
1. Ty Smith, D, Spokane-WHL
2. Jesper Boqvist, C, Brynas-SHL

LEGIT NHL PROSPECT
3. Michael McLeod, C, Mississauga-OHL
4. Joey Anderson, RW, Minnesota-Duluth-NCHC

HAVE A CHANCE
5. John Quenneville, LW, Binghamton-AHL
6. Mikhail Maltsev, C, SKA-KHL
7. Reilly Walsh, D, Harvard-ECAC
8. Blake Speers, RW, Binghamton-AHL
9. Jeremy Davies, D, Northeastern-Hockey East
10. Fabian Zetterlund, RW, Farjestad-SHL
11. Nikita Popugaev, RW, CSKA-KHL
12. Nathan Bastian, RW, Binghamton-AHL

DEPTH NOTES
13. Xavier Bernard, D, Drummondville-QMJHL
14. Aarne Talvitie, C, Espoo-Jr. A. Liiga
15. Akira Schmid, G, Langnau-Swiss Jr
16. Yegor Sharangovich, C, Minsk-KHL
17. Jocktan Chainey, D, Halifax-QMJHL
18. Mackenzie Blackwood, G, Binghamton-AHL

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)
  1. Nico Hischier, C
  2. Jesper Bratt, LW
  3. Pavel Zacha, C
  4. Will Butcher, D
  5. Ty Smith, D
  6. Jesper Boqvist, C
  7. Steve Santini, D
  8. Michael McLeod, C
  9. Miles Wood, LW
  10. Joey Anderson, RW

Reactions: Verdoux

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That has to be an oversight on his part to not mention Seney at all in his piece. Or is Seney considered a graduate?

He's not considered a graduate. Per Pronman's overview...

A player is no longer considered an NHL prospect if he has played more than 25 NHL games in any single season, 50 career NHL games or is older than age 27 as of Sept. 15, 2018. All other players are considered eligible.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
He's not considered a graduate. Per Pronman's overview...

A player is no longer considered an NHL prospect if he has played more than 25 NHL games in any single season, 50 career NHL games or is older than age 27 as of Sept. 15, 2018. All other players are considered eligible.
I actually asked him on Twitter just now, his answer:

"didn't see him enough to eval"

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes