Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Couple weeks ago Pronman commented something about Mark Dennehy or some Merrimack player in the Twitter or in The Athletic's comment section. He mentioned then that he didn't see any Merrimack games last season. I'm not sure whether he has seen any AHL games from Seney either.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Pronman when asked about Talvitie:
I liked the kid a year ago this time but watched him at several tournaments over the last year and just don't see enough dynamic elements at his size.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
im much more interested in "players under 23" because that is a much better gauge of a team's future than simply players who haven't made the NHL yet. obviously in our case the best players and the future core of the team is for the most part already on the team

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Actually #20. Pronman just posted it an hour ago.

I understand the drop from #5 because of Nico is now taken off, but we added Ty Smith and I don't remember many years where our prospects have progressed like this group has.

The one thing that does hurt us is goaltending.
Yeah, I didn't realize he wasn't continuing the countdown over the weekend. I was just doing the math.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Here are Pronman's rankings - I took out the comments...not sure how much of the article I can/can't post.

Prospect Rankings

VERY GOOD NHL PROSPECT
1. Ty Smith, D, Spokane-WHL
2. Jesper Boqvist, C, Brynas-SHL

LEGIT NHL PROSPECT
3. Michael McLeod, C, Mississauga-OHL
4. Joey Anderson, RW, Minnesota-Duluth-NCHC

HAVE A CHANCE
5. John Quenneville, LW, Binghamton-AHL
6. Mikhail Maltsev, C, SKA-KHL
7. Reilly Walsh, D, Harvard-ECAC
8. Blake Speers, RW, Binghamton-AHL
9. Jeremy Davies, D, Northeastern-Hockey East
10. Fabian Zetterlund, RW, Farjestad-SHL
11. Nikita Popugaev, RW, CSKA-KHL
12. Nathan Bastian, RW, Binghamton-AHL

DEPTH NOTES
13. Xavier Bernard, D, Drummondville-QMJHL
14. Aarne Talvitie, C, Espoo-Jr. A. Liiga
15. Akira Schmid, G, Langnau-Swiss Jr
16. Yegor Sharangovich, C, Minsk-KHL
17. Jocktan Chainey, D, Halifax-QMJHL
18. Mackenzie Blackwood, G, Binghamton-AHL

Organizational Top 10 (23 and Under)
  1. Nico Hischier, C
  2. Jesper Bratt, LW
  3. Pavel Zacha, C
  4. Will Butcher, D
  5. Ty Smith, D
  6. Jesper Boqvist, C
  7. Steve Santini, D
  8. Michael McLeod, C
  9. Miles Wood, LW
  10. Joey Anderson, RW

Is is big Poppy in a tier higher than Talivite? I'm a fan of his raw talent but he has a long way to go if he ever plays in the NHL.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If you can evaluate Russian players, how not someone from the states? It was an odd answer.

He watches the U18s, WJCs, Russian Super Series, and might even catch an occasional KHL game. But Seney was a 6th round pick who played at probably a third-tier hockey school. I'm not at all surprised that Pronman has not seen him much.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah seems like popugaev would have to develop into a legit player in the khl, which is a long shot in and of it's own, before he would come back here and have a chance at a roster spot on the nhl squad

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
He watches the U18s, WJCs, Russian Super Series, and might even catch an occasional KHL game. But Seney was a 6th round pick who played at probably a third-tier hockey school. I'm not at all surprised that Pronman has not seen him much.
Seney played Division 1 and some AHL

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Seney played Division 1 and some AHL

He's played 12 games in the AHL and the Division 1 team he played for stinks. He was the best thing on it for 4 years and he's a fringe NHL prospect. It's easy to forget that Pronman has 30 other teams' prospects he's looking at (plus undrafted players).

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
He's played 12 games in the AHL and the Division 1 team he played for stinks. He was the best thing on it for 4 years and he's a fringe NHL prospect. It's easy to forget that Pronman has 30 other teams' prospects he's looking at (plus undrafted players).
Seney has been on a lot of people's radars the past year or so and has emerged as a possible top ten prospect for the team, nor would I call him a fringe NHL prospect, he's most definitely an NHL prospect, did you mean to say player?

Also, his own publication did a feature on Seney:

Devils future watch: Brett Seney may be small in stature,...

Not a big deal mind you, like you said he has probably about a 1,000 prospects to keep tabs on.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Seney has been on a lot of people's radars the past year or so and has emerged as a possible top ten prospect for the team, nor would I call him a fringe NHL prospect, he's most definitely an NHL prospect, did you mean to say player?

Also, his own publication did a feature on Seney:

Devils future watch: Brett Seney may be small in stature,...

Not a big deal mind you, like you said he has probably about a 1,000 prospects to keep tabs on.

He's a top 10 prospect for this very, very short window of time. By this time next year, his future will be much more solidified - either he's spent a decent amount of time in the NHL, which will rule him out of being a prospect by Pronman's rules, or he hasn't, which as a 23 year old AHLer will probably do the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pronman when asked about Talvitie:
I liked the kid a year ago this time but watched him at several tournaments over the last year and just don't see enough dynamic elements at his size.

Andy Greene has no dynamic elements to his game and carved out a nice career. Talvite is dynamic in terms of brains and compete. He also has something of a plus shot. His skating was fine with the best players in the world his age even if not outstanding. He isn’t small in today’s game. Pronman didn’t watch him at the WJSS if that is his sole impression of Talvite.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Is he saying the Devils are ridiculously stacked with young players or is he just not aware who Miles Wood is?

Its crazy to say that a high end 3rd liner with elite skating is the 9th best 23 and under player with an organization.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I agree, however I ONLY watched him at the WJSS. I'm guessing Pronman's seen him more, and in different situations.

As a prospect I'm not sure it matters how he looked at any time last year, beyond suggesting he played over his head at WJSS. but to me he didn't. I watched him last year at the same event and he looked like he belonged. This year he looked like one of the better players. Also, I'm skeptical Pronman would watch Finnish Jr. hockey. He probably sees him as a small late round pick and sees the WJSS as a bit of a surprise so he probably hasn't gone much further given the bigger names he has to spend time on. I guess we will see this season at Penn St. and probably at the WJC if there is enough in Talvite's game to put him in the "has a legit chance" category.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Andy Greene has no dynamic elements to his game and carved out a nice career. Talvite is dynamic in terms of brains and compete. He also has something of a plus shot. His skating was fine with the best players in the world his age even if not outstanding. He isn’t small in today’s game. Pronman didn’t watch him at the WJSS if that is his sole impression of Talvite.

Being a good defenseman requires a totally different skillset than being a good forward and that's why you seldom see players switch during their careers. So yeah, Greene has no standout physical skills, but he's a very smart player, he makes good reads, his gap control used to be solid, and he can pass the puck.

Brains, compete, shot - all great qualities, but to me if a forward has trouble finding an open guy in the offensive zone, and/or defaults to shooting the puck, that's usually going to limit that forward's ceiling. I don't agree with where Talvitie ended up on his rankings, but I don't think he's a high-upside prospect. We'll have a much clearer picture of what he can be after this coming season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Actually #20. Pronman just posted it an hour ago.

I understand the drop from #5 because of Nico is now taken off, but we added Ty Smith and I don't remember many years where our prospects have progressed like this group has.

The one thing that does hurt us is goaltending.

Especially with Pronman because he values goalies a lot. At least I think he is the one who does.

I don’t agree with that spot, and not even being able to properly evaluate one of our better prospects hurts the credibility of them, but it’s whatever.

Having so many players graduate at once hurts the top end depth no matter who you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad