Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

And a gif so you can watch it over and over and over again :handclap:

The gif makes it look even better. To have the handeye to knock it down like that, gather it so quick and cleanly and then just flat out beat the goalie from the hashmarks with a sweet snipe. My goodness.

Reactions: Billdo and bodda

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
From Dan Rosen's Mailbag:

Do you think the New Jersey Devils will have any problem signing Jeremy Davies (2016 draft pick) this summer? He is a nominee for the Hobey Baker Award and it sure seems that prior winners never end up signing with the teams that originally drafted them (Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher). -- @rudshar98

This is a good way to end the mailbag because it highlights a player, Davies, who helped his school, Northeastern University, win the 2019 Beanpot Tournament by defeating Boston College 4-2 at TD Garden on Monday. Davies is a junior defenseman at Northeastern. He was the Devils' seventh-round pick (No. 192) in the 2016 NHL Draft. He is one of 83 nominees for the Hobey Baker Award this season. I asked Davies in a text message if he plans to sign with the Devils after his season at Northeastern is finished. "I haven't put much thought into that yet, so I am not sure," he said. There's little doubt that Davies has come a long way since his draft year and that with another strong season at Northeastern he could position himself to become an unrestricted free agent in the same way Vesey did after playing four years at Harvard University and Butcher did after playing four years at the University of Denver. That has to be enticing. If he signs with the Devils, they might have a seventh-round steal on their hands.

Mailbag: Trade scenarios for Panthers, Jets, Wild, Rangers

Reactions: My3Sons

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Do you think the New Jersey Devils will have any problem signing Jeremy Davies (2016 draft pick) this summer? He is a nominee for the Hobey Baker Award and it sure seems that prior winners never end up signing with the teams that originally drafted them (Jimmy Vesey, Will Butcher). -- @rudshar98

This is a good way to end the mailbag because it highlights a player, Davies, who helped his school, Northeastern University, win the 2019 Beanpot Tournament by defeating Boston College 4-2 at TD Garden on Monday. Davies is a junior defenseman at Northeastern. He was the Devils' seventh-round pick (No. 192) in the 2016 NHL Draft. He is one of 83 nominees for the Hobey Baker Award this season. I asked Davies in a text message if he plans to sign with the Devils after his season at Northeastern is finished. "I haven't put much thought into that yet, so I am not sure," he said. There's little doubt that Davies has come a long way since his draft year and that with another strong season at Northeastern he could position himself to become an unrestricted free agent in the same way Vesey did after playing four years at Harvard University and Butcher did after playing four years at the University of Denver. That has to be enticing. If he signs with the Devils, they might have a seventh-round steal on their hands.

ugh, i wish there was a way to fix this, or at least get some recompensation. i don't wanna sign NCAA students anymore

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Not one for panic posts but that doesn't sound... good.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This is basic Sports 101 - if he says yes, then how's it going to look to his teammates now? Worry about this when his season's over and he's not here.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah basically a canned response with a LOT of the writer's speculation in there on a leading question. really take nothing from that

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Yeah, don't read into that.

Didn't Santini/Wood say similiar and then unfollow the Devils on instagram or whatever social media etc which caused a lot of us to panic?

Granted, they were freshman, but don't get all worked up about Davies, yet.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This. People need to stop getting worked up about this stuff. These guys just want to play in the NHL. I'm guessing he signs and plays a game at the end of the season and has two years remaining on his ELC.

Yeah, plus Ray is rather aggressive in going after these types of players and as he showed with Wood and Santini willing to burn a year off their ELC if necessary.

It's also not like there's not a good opportunity for him in the NJ organization to earn an NHL spot. Especially with Rykov gone, there's more of an opening for him. Excluding the Albany guys (all of which are question marks to ever make it as consistent NHLers, the LD depth chart would be Greene (only 1 year left on contract), Butcher (can play RD), Mueller (huge question mark) and Smith. Davies would surely need some seasoning in the AHL and could maybe even get some NHL games in next season, but as of now it seems like there's a rather clear spot with NJ towards earning a regular spot in the lineup in the 2020-2021 season (which is when he could become UFA). Playing in the AHL (and maybe even NHL games) next season would only speed up that process.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It isn’t really worth getting worked up about until after the college season is long over.

Right now his first priority is to help Northeastern win a national championship.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This. People need to stop getting worked up about this stuff. These guys just want to play in the NHL. I'm guessing he signs and plays a game at the end of the season and has two years remaining on his ELC.

He's 22 so he'd only have 1 year left if he played an NHL game this season - 22 year olds' ELCs are 2 years. If he waited to go UFA, he would sign a 2 year deal in August 2020, so his contract would end in 2022.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
He has to be looking at the Devils defense seeing a massive opening moving fwd. Mueller hasn't worked, Greene is done and Butcher could always slide to the right side to ease the breakout. Im not sure how worried he is of an 18 year old in Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad