Child Prodigy

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
This again?

Can I make the same joke as I made last time? My 8-year-old had another four-goal game in the last one. Scored on two penalty shots in the same game. I'm pretty sure he's going first overall in 2026.

OK, I'll stop.

Reactions: NHL Fanatik

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Still dominating. 21gp, 36g/16a/52p. First in league scoring by a significant margin and his team is undefeated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjVJ3-YNWiM

Can anyone explain a few things for a Swede here about Canadian hockey.

1. What is the difference between Bantam 2 that Jarvis plays in and the Bantam 1?

2. Which junior league's jurisdiction is he in? If he is born 2002 then he will be elegible in the 2017 draft right? But which one? Can he choose himself?

3. He leads his league in a pretty superior fashion but it is pretty impossible to find something to compare with. What is the old record in the Winnipeg league for instance?

4. In the Bantam 1 leagues his ppg seems more common. How so? This of course goes back to question 1 but I assumed Bantam 1 is for older kids. But how much? He is only 2 years form playing in a junior league anyway.

5. If he gets some kind of exceptional status, can he be drafted one year earlier then? So that would be this year?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
This again?

Can I make the same joke as I made last time? My 8-year-old had another four-goal game in the last one. Scored on two penalty shots in the same game. I'm pretty sure he's going first overall in 2026.

OK, I'll stop.

Fair enough.

However, I think there is something to watch. I previously linked to the streams for the Brick. From the 2008 Brick champions (10 year olds at the time, now eligible for 2016 NHL entry draft) here are some names:

Tyson Jost
Tyler Benson
Sam Steel
Dillon Dube
Kale Clague

Some might recognize these names from this list last month.

There are other names like Quenneville, McKinstry, Montgomery, Murray, Steenbergen that some will recognize. So 10 kids from that team alone, 5 ranked in the first round as recently as 6 months out from the draft.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Reading through these types of threads is entertaining. Trying to project 13/14 year olds is such a crap shoot and ends up being wrong almost every single time. SO much can change at that age.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Can anyone explain a few things for a Swede here about Canadian hockey.

1. What is the difference between Bantam 2 that Jarvis plays in and the Bantam 1?

2. Which junior league's jurisdiction is he in? If he is born 2002 then he will be elegible in the 2017 draft right? But which one? Can he choose himself?

3. He leads his league in a pretty superior fashion but it is pretty impossible to find something to compare with. What is the old record in the Winnipeg league for instance?

4. In the Bantam 1 leagues his ppg seems more common. How so? This of course goes back to question 1 but I assumed Bantam 1 is for older kids. But how much? He is only 2 years form playing in a junior league anyway.

5. If he gets some kind of exceptional status, can he be drafted one year earlier then? So that would be this year?

Bantam 1 is for 14 year olds, Bantam 2 is for 13 year olds. Although, some 13 year olds can be found playing B1, especially outside the city. Ty Thorpe for Brandon most notably. B1 has a lot more teams than B2 which is likely why you see more players that are PPG.

All time B2 scoring is here:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?leagueid=WBAAA2&season=alltime
He'll be WHL draft eligible in 2017 and won't be able to choose. Exceptional player status is out of the question, it just doesn't happen in the WHL.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Bantam 1 is for 14 year olds, Bantam 2 is for 13 year olds. Although, some 13 year olds can be found playing B1, especially outside the city. Ty Thorpe for Brandon most notably. B1 has a lot more teams than B2 which is likely why you see more players that are PPG.

All time B2 scoring is here:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?leagueid=WBAAA2&season=alltime
He'll be WHL draft eligible in 2017 and won't be able to choose. Exceptional player status is out of the question, it just doesn't happen in the WHL.

Thanks!

So looking at the other top prospects that had a higher ppg that didn't transition to much.

So to compare, McDavid played midgethockey at top level when he was one year older than Jarvis? He scored 209 in 88 games.

So Jarvis isn't really a child prodigy?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Thanks!

So looking at the other top prospects that had a higher ppg that didn't transition to much.

So to compare, McDavid played midgethockey at top level when he was one year older than Jarvis? He scored 209 in 88 games.

So Jarvis isn't really a child prodigy?

He's not really.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

2026 eligible prospects.

#87 on red is a phenom. He's already had articles published on him and he's appeared on several tv shows.

Evgeni Phenomonov.

:sarcasm::laugh:

But in seriousness, look at these kids skate, 2008 born players skating like this.

The future of Hockey is skating and each generation is becoming superior in terms of using edges and techniques to bring the most out of their skating abilities. The game speed increases each year and by the start of their 30's most players are already on the twilight of their careers as we're seeing nowadays in the professional ranks with the influx of youth becoming ever more present as time moves forward. The game is changing, for the better.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

2026 eligible prospects.

#87 on red is a phenom. He's already had articles published on him and he's appeared on several tv shows.

Evgeni Phenomonov.

But in seriousness, look at these kids skate, 2008 born players skating like this.

The future of Hockey is skating and each generation is becoming superior in terms of using edges and techniques to bring the most out of their skating abilities. The game speed increases each year and by the start of their 30's most players are already on the twilight of their careers as we're seeing nowadays in the professional ranks with the influx of youth becoming ever more present as time moves forward. The game is changing, for the better.

9 on red can handle the puck better than most 12 year olds I know here in North America.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

2026 eligible prospects.

Evgeni Phenomonov.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but you can't possibly be hyping up an 8 year old, right?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

2026 eligible prospects.

Evgeni Phenomonov.

Lol some of these kids can actually flat out fly. 43 on white is the 8 year old Johnny Hockey hahaha.

2008 born, my goodness it's hard to fathom lol.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
This board always gets a little dead around this time, So I thought I'd throw out some names of players who look to have special talent:

Josh Lawrence(2002) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201787

Antonio Stranges(2002) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=369848

Matthew Savoie(2004)

Footage of the first and last players are available at http://www.legacyglobalsports.com/worldselectsinvite

Every game is uploaded for the 2002-2004 tournaments, in case anyone is interested

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
This board always gets a little dead around this time, So I thought I'd throw out some names of players who look to have special talent:

Matthew Savoie(2004)

Footage of the first and last players are available at http://www.legacyglobalsports.com/worldselectsinvite

Every game is uploaded for the 2002-2004 tournaments, in case anyone is interested

A 2004 player! I really feel old.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight

2026 eligible prospects.

Evgeni Phenomonov.

HOLY **** that hit at 1:29.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
05 connor bedard and 06 tomas mrsic. Both best players atm for their age coming out of western canada. they can score at will, but they play a team game because they know thats the only way they can get far. anytime their team is down a goal or 2 the coaches just lets them go end to end. Also Bedard was the tourny MVP at Bricks tourny in edmonton(meaning hes probably the best player for his age in Canada if not the US as well). they are both more hype than Barzal already.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

Matthew Savoie(2004)

LAwrence is only 160 cm / 5'3". Will he grow?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
There's a big difference between 'child prodigy' and 'kid who might make the NHL one day'.

There has been no child prodigy since Crosby around 2000-2002.

Lot's of good players. Lots of NHL calibre kids. No child prodigy.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
There's a big difference between 'child prodigy' and 'kid who might make the NHL one day'.

I'd even argue John Tavares

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
05 connor bedard and 06 tomas mrsic. Both best players atm for their age coming out of western canada. they can score at will, but they play a team game because they know thats the only way they can get far. anytime their team is down a goal or 2 the coaches just lets them go end to end. Also Bedard was the tourny MVP at Bricks tourny in edmonton(meaning hes probably the best player for his age in Canada if not the US as well). they are both more hype than Barzal already.

Will be able to watch the 06 mentioned, at the Brick next month as they livestream the games.

There are several from the Vipers I will be watching closely, especially (currently showing as) 51 who I mentioned in a previous post going to BWC.

Noma

Probably not internationally, but Jesse Puljujärvi was something like that in Finland. I heard of him for the first time in 2008 when he was ten years old.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

Xavier Parent was a child prodigy, he's been dominating minor ranks in Quebec to the same extent as Mario Lemieux and Guy Lafleur for years.

RDS did a feature on him during the PeeWee international tournament and many scouts have said his offensive talent as a youth had not been seen in Quebec since Lemieux. Regardless of how his future pans out, he was a child prodigy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad