Child Prodigy

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Is that move for sure? That's not a bad spot, play AAA hockey against a great range of competition and won't be such a high level that he's in over his head. USHL and college scouts will be able to catch him pretty easily there in Des Moines if he hits ground running as well. That program is pretty new but look to be taking things pretty seriously.

edit: heard it is for sure, but he is playing for the U14 team (all 2001) for them

Just seen this news about Kieran, it is great news for him, its the best thing for him. No point dominating EIHA leagues and ending up stuck in the UK. As well as USHL/NCAA scouts, this is probably good chance to get spotted for the CHL Import draft in a couple years too.

Hopefully he can hit the ground running and get some playing time on the U16 team, that seems like it would be the logical aim for him.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Since he's coming over and he is within the OHL's region it's likely he can just go through the regular priority draft in a couple years.

That would be a huge help, so he wouldn't be classed as an import? I understand CHL teams can only have 2 import players?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That would be a huge help, so he wouldn't be classed as an import? I understand CHL teams can only have 2 import players?

Like Levin, Korostelev and many other Russians who tend to come over at a young age he could then be picked in the regular OHL priority draft. Not sure of the rules but I think he needs at least 2 years in NA, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Thanks for the link. Watched Saskatchewan beat Minnesota 4-3 yesterday. For Minnesota, I'm now positive it's the same standout forward you saw playing for the Miracle Gold in Whistler (#7). Not sure if he's a child prodigy, but he was the best player on the ice for this game anyway.

I think I'll watch Minnesota's game against California this morning and see if he can keep up the performance.

http://www.brickhockey.pointstreaksites.com/view/brickinvitational

EDIT: #18 from California was the best player in this game... and he's tiny!

Speaking of an '05 playing PeeWee A1, was talking to some NSWC parents and it sounds like one of the BC kids will do that for NSWC. I think he won the tournament MVP (but not the playoff MVP as I think the TO goalie got that).

And as an aside, one of NSWC's best '06's has gone to BWC. Their Atom A1 team would be something else if it still had those two. The '06 was at the Whistler tournament in summer 2014 and played in the gold medal game against '05 Miracle Gold. He'll be at the Brick next year.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Speaking of an '05 playing PeeWee A1, was talking to some NSWC parents and it sounds like one of the BC kids will do that for NSWC. I think he won the tournament MVP (but not the playoff MVP as I think the TO goalie got that).
Lead scorer for the BC Junior Canucks I assume? I'll keep an eye out for him. He'll be playing at a higher level than Minnesota's standout. Our association's district is fairly mediocre even at the peewee level.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA

And as an aside, one of NSWC's best '06's has gone to BWC. Their Atom A1 team would be something else if it still had those two. The '06 was at the Whistler tournament in summer 2014 and played in the gold medal game against '05 Miracle Gold. He'll be at the Brick next year.

A 10 year old playing pee wee. Is that right? How often if ever does this happen in youth hockey

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
A 10 year old playing pee wee. Is that right? How often if ever does this happen in youth hockey

Yes, players sometimes play up an age group - it's possible to get ahead at that age simply by starting younger and spending lots of time at the rink. Hockey being a late development sport, likely lots of kids would catch up and pass.

But being NSWC A1 - I haven't seen that. Also the MVP thing, meaning I think I would talk more about this kid than Aito, having seen both of them play live.

Anyway, both have been coached by the Brick coach - if I see him again I'll ask his thoughts on them as well.

To exiled: yes, lead goal scorer.

Last edited:

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
It's not common, nor should it be. However, the MN 10 year old has dominated at the squirt A level for two years in a row. He gains nothing by playing a third. Also, MN peewees don't check, so he should be relatively safe playing against the bigger kids.
What level is squirt A exactly. Would that be like 10 years old and younger and i believe pee wee is 12 and under?

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Going by a local association, Peewee players can be 11, 12, or 13 (depending on birthdate/ time of year):

http://chedokeminorhockey.com/page.php?page_id=48905#Registration
MN associations do things a bit differently than Canada. Squirts are generally 4th and 5th graders. PeeWees are generally 6th and 7th graders. Bantams are generally 8th and 9th graders. We do this because we have a system heavily based on local communities. As opposed to a club based system, kids generally attend the same school as their teammates.

That being said, officially, we go by birth date (with July 1st being the cutoff). So, this year's Squirts will be born in 2006 (~25%), 2005 (~50%), and 2004 (~25%). This year's PeeWees will be 2004 (~25%), 2003 (~50%), and 2002 (~25%).

The player being referenced is a 2005, though I don't know his exact birthdate. That should you some idea as to how big the jump actually is.

Also, to be clear, we also have a club hockey system that goes strictly by birthyear. These generally operate in the late spring and late summer with a break in the middle of summer. Some clubs go through the entire summer. A few clubs go year round. The club team which represented MN at the Brick Invitational is a highly regarded summer long club team.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Honestly, I think the impressive thing is that he is from Japan, but there are 11 year olds just as impressive in my Western Montreal region, just no video footage of them.

I kind of lean that way as well. Our club went over to Japan last December and played one of the games against a team he was on. I think it was the only game that was close (a loss, but I think the score was something like 7-6 iirc). ohsix and I didn't go, it was just our '04's, but that's what I gather talking to those who went. Similar to what I saw at BCSC.

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Kieran Brown had 5+1 in 4 games over the weekend in the T1Elite league U14. Anyone know the standard of this tournament/league.
Seems like a good showing for his first few games in NA?

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
Kieran Brown had 5+1 in 4 games over the weekend in the T1Elite league U14. Anyone know the standard of this tournament/league.
Seems like a good showing for his first few games in NA?

Based on the opponents it looks like a low end tier 1 tournament. Most of those teams would lose handily to the top US 01 teams.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Based on the opponents it looks like a low end tier 1 tournament. Most of those teams would lose handily to the top US 01 teams.

This seems to be a misguided assumption.

Phoenix and Dallas were two of the clubs in the tournament and while they aren't Belle Tire, they're solid hockey programs in Tier 1 US hockey. They've both been producing their fair share of NAHL, USHL, NCAA, USNDP, and CHL talent in recent years, some of which have been drafted into the NHL.

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014
This seems to be a misguided assumption.

Phoenix and Dallas were two of the clubs in the tournament and while they aren't Belle Tire, they're solid hockey programs in Tier 1 US hockey. They've both been producing their fair share of NAHL, USHL, NCAA, USNDP, and CHL talent in recent years, some of which have been drafted into the NHL.

Sorry but it's not that misguided. Those teams are not very good relative to the top end 01 teams out there in North America. 1 point a game at that level is nice for someone from a non hockey country but he's not putting up numbers against the SSMs of the hockey world.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Sorry but it's not that misguided. Those teams are not very good relative to the top end 01 teams out there in North America. 1 point a game at that level is nice for someone from a non hockey country but he's not putting up numbers against the SSMs of the hockey world.

wtf are you talking about? Shattuck ALWAYS has a GAA under 2.00 and that's the bar you're setting for all bantam players on the planet?

I guess nobody in bantam hockey is impressive.

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014
wtf are you talking about? Shattuck ALWAYS has a GAA under 2.00 and that's the bar you're setting for all bantam players on the planet?

All I'm saying is it's a middling tournament for that age group. Not that hard to understand.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014

US Hockey gets very top heavy as it gets to the Bantam age, especially Bantam Major. Its just the way it is. Best kids in one area usually consolidate as organizations try and build teams that can compete for nationals etc. It sounds cheesy but usually the best kids want to play with each other and this aids in forming these teams.

That is why most top 10 teams would beat a team like Iowa (not picking on Iowa) by 5-10 goals. They'll have a good game here or there ands keep it close but that is the state of travel hockey.

So saying the tournament is lower tier 1 is not misguided or rude, it is 100% accurate. A very high end tier one tournament was in Chicago this weekend where the top Ontario team, Mississuaga Rebels came and played teams like Team Wisconsin, Chicago Mission, etc..

Both tournaments are necessary, as every teams get 4-5 competitive games. If Mission go to the tourney Iowa is at they go 5-0 and outscore opponents 35-2. If Iowa goes to Chicago they risk going 0-5 or 1-4 and being outscored 30-8. Again no disrespect to any team.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Anybody have an update on that Dustin Rose kid? He was tearing it up last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad