Friedman: Chicago working on a Duncan Keith trade to a Pacific Northwest or Western Canada team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is reasonable but I would think Edmonton would prefer 50% of Keith retained for 2 seasons rather than Chicago taking the last year of Koskinen. The beat writer for Edmonton in the Athletic suggested getting Arizona involved in taking 1/2 of Edmonton’s cap hit on Keith for a 2nd round pick. That would get Keith’s hit for Edmonton down to 1.3-1.4. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Edmonton is giving up jones and 2nd round for keith. Just horrifying for me as an oilers fan. I'm not saying something like this wouldn't happen just that it would be pure idiocy for the oilers.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Pretty clear that there's a major disconnect between seller and buyer here, between fanbases and management haha.

Ultimately when you have a seller under pressure, the buyer normally gains the most ground on negotiation. Everyone knows that Chicago is under pressure to cut salary and want out from the Keith Contract, we also all know that Keith Himself wants out, but only to a certain few locations. This give EDM the ability to name their take it leave it price. Because there's a high chance that Chicago buy out Keith and the can sign him UFA for a much lower cap hit without giving up an asset.

The best bet for Chicago, is to get someone to take on salary in exchange for a draft pick. they may want EDM to pay the cost, but If i'm KH my take it or leave it deal is that Keith is only coming back for equal money or with a significant draft pick/prospect coming to us with him. So would be forcing chicago to pay up.

If EDM gives up value to take on a contract like that I'd be pretty disappointed.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
^I don’t believe that Chicago is under pressure to cut salary. This trade is an effort by Chicago to accommodate Keith’s desire to move closer to his son. If the trade value isn’t close to even (maybe slightly favoring Edmonton to satisfy Keith for his meritorious years of service), then the Hawks should walk away.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Chicago has little leverage, but I guarantee you they are talking to Seattle. Keith is still an asset. And the Kraken will need to hit the cap floor.

If the Blackhawks want to get rid of Keith with zero retention Seattle will do it if Chicago sends a 2nd round pick.

Edmonton wants 50% retention and if they are giving up only Jones that's not enough. Chicago asking for Ethan Bear or another rostered player is crazy. But if Keith is going to Edmonton 50% retention. Edmonton needs to send a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd round pick considering how late that pick would be

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Pretty clear that there's a major disconnect between seller and buyer here, between fanbases and management haha.

Ultimately when you have a seller under pressure, the buyer normally gains the most ground on negotiation. Everyone knows that Chicago is under pressure to cut salary and want out from the Keith Contract, we also all know that Keith Himself wants out, but only to a certain few locations. This give EDM the ability to name their take it leave it price. Because there's a high chance that Chicago buy out Keith and the can sign him UFA for a much lower cap hit without giving up an asset.

The best bet for Chicago, is to get someone to take on salary in exchange for a draft pick. they may want EDM to pay the cost, but If i'm KH my take it or leave it deal is that Keith is only coming back for equal money or with a significant draft pick/prospect coming to us with him. So would be forcing chicago to pay up.

If EDM gives up value to take on a contract like that I'd be pretty disappointed.
Where has it been reported the hawks have to cut salary?
He’s making $2.1 million this year.
Your just making that up.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

What I dont understand is that Holland already have a major problem with expansiondraft protection. The rightvway is 7-3-1. And have to protect Nurse, Bear, Larsson (unless there is a handshakedeal going on). Adding Kierh with a NMC forcesnHolland to progect him and giving up a D, for nothing?? So Holland theows away assets for giving up assets in the exp.draft??
Walk away Kenny!!
Clearly Holland has a hard on on Kieth, and have a massive dream of getting him.

Very derp of Holland

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

It is actually fuunny. I dont get why Holland is so hard on Kieth. A normal buyer wouldve stepped away for now, but not Kenny. Walk away Holland!!

I really hope the reason here is Holland had said” This is the best offer you will get, cehck out the market and see” and using time closong in for exp draft as a leverage. Otherwise Chicago will buy him out(??) While Bowman actually calls the entire league to checking offers. I do really hope… and not another stupid reaaon.

Last edited:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am an Oiler fan and agree that Chicago needs to take a bad contract or retain , Having said that Chicago could still have Keith back . The can flip it onto the Oilers .

We tried to trade you . We told the Oilers you are still an effective defence man and the would only offer Neal , DK we were insulted they viewed you that way . We tried to reason with them but they wouldn't listen and gave us a take or leave it offer .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I am an Oiler fan and agree that Chicago needs to take a bad contract or retain , Having said that Chicago could still have Keith back . The can flip it onto the Oilers .

We tried to trade you . We told the Oilers you are still an effective defence man and the would only offer Neal , DK we were insulted they viewed you that way . We tried to reason with them but they wouldn't listen and gave us a take or leave it offer .
This is the reality of those backdiving long term deals. Minnesota in a similar position with Parise. He wants to play.

when you sign for more than a decade there are going to be down times during that stint.

for Keith it’s now his personal life. It’s a 3 hour flight to go from Chicago to get to Vancouver. Even if there was a flight to Penticton that’s a 6 hour time commitment from Keith to see his kid if he remains in Chicago.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Chicago has little leverage, but I guarantee you they are talking to Seattle. Keith is still an asset. And the Kraken will need to hit the cap floor.

If the Blackhawks want to get rid of Keith with zero retention Seattle will do it if Chicago sends a 2nd round pick.

Edmonton wants 50% retention and if they are giving up only Jones that's not enough. Chicago asking for Ethan Bear or another rostered player is crazy. But if Keith is going to Edmonton 50% retention. Edmonton needs to send a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd round pick considering how late that pick would be
I think Seattle would just take him in the expansion draft for free. Who else are they taking from Chic*go?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I'm out of the loop. Is there a reason this has to happen before the expansion draft If it puts the other team in a position to lose a player? Chicago needs the protection slot free of Keith?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
^I don’t believe that Chicago is under pressure to cut salary. This trade is an effort by Chicago to accommodate Keith’s desire to move closer to his son. If the trade value isn’t close to even (maybe slightly favoring Edmonton to satisfy Keith for his meritorious years of service), then the Hawks should walk away.
How are they going to take a run at Jones with no Cap?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

and thats fine.

The trade needs to work for both teams, It really only works for Edmonton if a bad contract goes the other way. Chicago wants a young D man that the Oilers are prepared to give up on. Chicago seems reluctant to take on a bad contract. A deal might not get done and if Neal or Kosko isn't going the other way, I am more than comfortable with that. We shouldn't trade for Keith because he wants to go to our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad