Chiarelli will GM the Young Stars (U23) team at the 2016 World Cup

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That's my fear and if this tournament is going to be the only major international tournament we're going to be seeing for a while it'll ruin international hockey.

Cant see Euro countries agreeing to this format if its only Intl tourny. And olympics will be too much $$$

Any talk by Betty of not taking NHL to next Olympics is utter crap and him wanting as much $ as possible

Players want Olympics and will create a ***** storm if they cant

Ovy and Malkin have already said they are going regardless. Once a prominent Canadian says this, they are going

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
its called a world cup, for some reason, which infers actual Nations playing. You know, the way any world cup in any sport has worked before.

This is childrens programming comedy hour stuff.

Maybe Scooby doo can coach one of the teams. Its more than obvious what Bettman is doing here sliding a U23 team in here and a denigrating "Team Europe"

If WCE did hockey it would look like this. Not a good thing.

Ya, I agree. I said before if the World Cup, the one for soccer, tried this people would riot. It just debases the entire game, the game is going to be looked at as a joke. The thing is give Norway a chance to beat Canada, they probably won't, but just trying gives every one in Norway the message, hey we are on the world stage.

It is just lame ratings, the ratings are low for Norway vs Slovakia so lets have a chimp coach one team and have Gretzky play goalie. Just lame.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
That's my fear and if this tournament is going to be the only major international tournament we're going to be seeing for a while it'll ruin international hockey.

It's irrational. The players want to go to the Olympics and i don't see them getting that cat back in the bag, the World cup is being contested semi annually in parallel to the Olympics. They don't have to follow the Olympic rules so why should they? It's good for them to be creative a bit if it means better hockey IMO. Why worry the sky is falling? Getting a World cup every four years in tandem with the Olympics is awesome, there is not better hockey than best on best.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I can't believe people can actually get worked up and upset about having the most talent stacked tournament in history. Team Europe makes sense, why wouldn't you want guys like Kopitar playing in a best on best format over say 45 year old Miroslav Satan? Who cares if Slovakia is being replaced by a better team, they were 99.9% unlikely to win. The NA youngstars is a little dumb but apparently it's not confirmed that 23 and under players will have to play for that team, they aren't likely to win and what the hell is so wrong with getting a chance to see players like McDavid and MacKinnon when they would be very unlikely to make Team Canada. I just want to see the best Hockey possible not watch the Swiss/Germans trap for 60 minutes while Kopitar sits at home and David Wolf is getting top 6 minutes. I just fail to see how this is a real problem, hockey isn't like soccer not everyone plays it, why make it impossible for top players to play just so we can have two teams that can't win and drag down the quality play.

Country to Coutry has some sacred element to it. Doing it this way will make every one just treat it like a All star game. We let Kopitar play in a big game with the best players, its called a All Star game and no one cares. Let Kopitar make his country proud by scoring a goal in a 15-1 game vs Canada. People will take more pride in that then watching him play on a make shift team that is meaningless.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It's irrational. The players want to go to the Olympics and i don't see them getting that cat back in the bag, the World cup is being contested semi annually in parallel to the Olympics. They don't have to follow the Olympic rules so why should they? It's good for them to be creative a bit if it means better hockey IMO. Why worry the sky is falling? Getting a World cup every four years in tandem with the Olympics is awesome, there is not better hockey than best on best.

Meaningfull hockey is better than just simply the best vs the best. Why don't we just pick the 50 best players in the world and randomly divide them up. Then let a chimp coach one team and a dog coach the other. THats what every one wants to see.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ya, I agree. I said before if the World Cup, the one for soccer, tried this people would riot. It just debases the entire game, the game is going to be looked at as a joke. The thing is give Norway a chance to beat Canada, they probably won't, but just trying gives every one in Norway the message, hey we are on the world stage.

It is just lame ratings, the ratings are low for Norway vs Slovakia so lets have a chimp coach one team and have Gretzky play goalie. Just lame.

Because soccer is competitive

Replace half of the good teams in the World cup with CONCACAF teams and watch the ratings and intergrity of the tourny fizzle

Sure you give good ole Canada a chance to beat Germany, but they are getting trounced 6-0 99 times out of 100

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Country to Coutry has some sacred element to it. Doing it this way will make every one just treat it like a All star game. We let Kopitar play in a big game with the best players, its called a All Star game and no one cares. Let Kopitar make his country proud by scoring a goal in a 15-1 game vs Canada. People will take more pride in that then watching him play on a make shift team that is meaningless.

Or watch as Kopitar scores with 2 seconds to go to force OT with Canada in the gold medal game

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Because soccer is competitive

Replace half of the good teams in the World cup with CONCACAF teams and watch the ratings and intergrity of the tourny fizzle

Sure you give good ole Canada a chance to beat Germany, but they are getting trounced 6-0 99 times out of 100

It isn't that competitive. Some teams have no chance of winning the World Cup.

I get it though, Hockey has less competitive teams, but still, world cups have to be world cups.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Why dont people understand this isnt suppose to replace the Olympics. Well maybe it will at some point, by then the whole format is going to be changed anyways.

World Cup is just a stupid idea and stupid teams, stupid NHL, and stupid players, stupid fans, stupid, stupid, stupid.

I cant believe the NHL and players would come up with such a stupid idea!

Am I doing this right?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Why dont people understand this isnt suppose to replace the Olympics. Well maybe it will at some point, by then the whole format is going to be changed anyways.

World Cup is just a stupid idea and stupid teams, stupid NHL, and stupid players, stupid fans, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Am I doing this right?

You didn't blame Eakins/Lowe/MacT for the World Cup. Failed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It isn't that competitive. Some teams have no chance of winning the World Cup.

I get it though, Hockey has less competitive teams, but still, world cups have to be world cups.

But the top 10 or so teams are all equal and have shot. The tourny is much more up in the air. In hockey the quarters are basically set ahead of the tourny with relative certainty. In hockey its a clear top favourite followed by 3 other good teams. Its essentially and 4 team tourny with one cinderalla team

For example, whats better for womans hockey. For Canada to continue to mow down every team in their path on route to pretty boring tournies (save for US) or to band teams together for competitivness and generate world wide interest

The thing about the world cup, is that its dessert. We dont need it, we already have tons of hockey. If the format isnt correct, people dont have to watch it.the can watch reg hockey or olympics (something soccer fans cant). Its a luxury we havent really had, so why not experiment and see what works?

I guarantee you by the end of the tourny after people watch Hossa and Kopitar light it up, theyll be warm to the idea

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Am I doing this right?

ITS CALLED THE WORLD CUP!!! They want it to be a world event of country vs country. Yet they are adding gimmiks that other sports would, and will, laugh at. I don't get the hate of the haters here. They aren't calling it the summer all star game. Where they invite the best players and have a all star type game. Fine, do that, I am ok with it. They are advertising this as something it is not.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
But the top 10 or so teams are all equal. In hockey its a clear top favourite followed by 3 other good teams. Its essentially and 4 team tourny with one cinderalla team

The thing about the world cup, is that its dessert. We dont need it, we already have tons of hockey. If the format isnt correct, people dont have to watch it.the can watch reg hockey or olympics (something soccer fans cant). Its a luxury we havent really had, so why not experiment and see what works?

I guarantee you by the end of the tourny after people watch Hossa and Kopitar light it up, theyll be warm to the idea

For the record, and this will help prove my point, watch those guys suck. They will sandbag it. You know why? Because they won't care. They won't care at all to win for team Europe.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
ITS CALLED THE WORLD CUP!!! They want it to be a world event of country vs country. Yet they are adding gimmiks that other sports would, and will, laugh at. I don't get the hate of the haters here. They aren't calling it the summer all star game. Where they invite the best players and have a all star type game. Fine, do that, I am ok with it. They are advertising this as something it is not.

Like I said, I cant believe the NHL and player are so dumb to come up with such a stupid idea.

Like seriously, its gotta be the dumbest idea ever! I just cant believe how dumb that many people are at the same time. Blows my mind at the stupidity in this world.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
For the record, and this will help prove my point, watch those guys suck. They will sandbag it. You know why? Because they won't care. They won't care at all to win for team Europe.

Ok, so team europe gets rolled 5-0 instead of Slovenia getting rolled 5-0. Atleast they have a shot now (if they try and they will)

Do people actually gather together with any interest to watch Canada vs lesser nations games? I know I had it on the background while browsing the internet and occassionally watched with interest when a big play was made. Otherwise it was boring because there was no rival pushing back

Sweden/US and Russian games were the best, and it was because there was a chance canada could lose

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

For sure, its just a stupid tournament and they would rather be at home. Actually they probably will decline the chance to play cause its just a dumb meaninless team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Competitive Europeans who want to take down NA who have gotten all the glory and media the past 10 years. I dont think Slovenia can stand a chance, but Kopitar will still be motivated to beat US even if its beside Chara. They are still playing against a common enemy and Euro countries are still connected with a source of pride

For example if US wasnt as good at soccer and the world cup was changed so Mexico, Canada, US teamed up and could actually compete vs Germany/Brazil etc you better believe id follow the heck out of them and cheer for them. Because if you win, its because of your team and countries you like are also sharing in the joy

We have the olympics every four years for this, so its not like everythings been changed. Now we just fielded all competitive teams vs having some below average ones who teams beat up on

The worst that can happen is team europe plays with no motivation and gets rolled by other teams (which would happen if they played as seperate nations). Canada/US/Rus are still taking uber hard

The best that can happen is team europe becomes a legit top threat and challenges Canada
If this becomes a thing pro players at the Olympics from the NHL is done.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Like I said, I cant believe the NHL and player are so dumb to come up with such a stupid idea.

Like seriously, its gotta be the dumbest idea ever! I just cant believe how dumb that many people are at the same time. Blows my mind at the stupidity in this world.

From what I can tell more people oppose it that support it, Bettman seemed to really push it through. But whatever, apparently we can't call something stupid if people do it. Good logic there.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Kopitar will make his country far more proud if he helps Team Europe win. Do you think that by increasing the residency demographic Kopitar suddenly stops representing Slovenia? I don't. In fact i'm extremelly confident that Slovenia will care alot more about the World Cup if Kopitar is in a position to win, nobody is going to care about the 15-1 drubbing. Many of the nations making up Team Europe have strong shared histories. We do the reverse of this at the under 16's by reducing Canada into regional teams, it doesn't make them less Canadian. It's not a willy nilly thing either like say adding a chimp to play goalie, as Team Europe has clear and defined regional boundries and a shared heritage. The Under 23 team, yeah i get the gripe there a bit, not enough to be upset but it's a lttle dumb for sure. More countries are getting a chance to have meaningful representation, not less just because they have to share the spotlight. It doesn't always have to be a country that a team represents for their to be a connection to a group of people, in Lacrosse the Iriquois have their own team that competes against Canada and the USA and that makes sense to me and everyone in Lacrosse.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
From what I can tell more people oppose it that support it, Bettman seemed to really push it through. But whatever, apparently we can't call something stupid if people do it. Good logic there.

Hey im totally agreeing with you now, so now you logic isnt that good?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If this becomes a thing pro players at the Olympics from the NHL is done.

Not a chance, not atleast for 2 or 3 more olympics anyway.

Right now the WC is micky mouse compared to hype of Olympics for hockey players. Itll be a step up from world championships for first 3 tournies. Players still want Olympic medal due to the hype of it

Cant see this ever making enough $$$ either

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Kopitar will make his country far more proud if he helps Team Europe win. Do you think that by increasing the residency demographic Kopitar suddenly stops representing Slovenia? I don't. In fact i'm extremelly confident that Slovenia will care alot more about the World Cup if Kopitar is in a position to win, nobody is going to care about the 15-1 drubbing. Many of the nations making up Team Europe have strong shared histories. We do the reverse of this at the under 16's by reducing Canada into regional teams, it doesn't make them less Canadian. It's not a willy nilly thing either like say adding a chimp to play goalie, as Team Europe has clear and defined regional boundries and a shared heritage. The Under 23 team, yeah i get the gripe there a bit, not enough to be upset but it's a lttle dumb for sure. More countries are getting a chance to have meaningful representation, not less just because they have to share the spotlight. It doesn't always have to be a country that a team represents for their to be a connection to a group of people, in Lacrosse the Iriquois have their own team that competes against Canada and the USA and that makes sense to me and everyone in Lacrosse.

Fine, I will half agree with you. You are ignoring there will be other European Teams, so team Europe isn't team Europe, its team whats left. But lets get the real point, what are the team 23 and under representing. The shared history of all those 23 and under?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Fine, I will half agree with you. You are ignoring there will be other European Teams, so team Europe isn't team Europe, its team whats left. But lets get the real point, what are the team 23 and under representing. The shared history of all those 23 and under?

NA and youth

You can bet if there was a world u23 they would be motivated to beat the older guys

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not a chance, not atleast for 2 or 3 more olympics anyway.

Right now the WC is micky mouse compared to hype of Olympics for hockey players. Itll be a step up from world championships for first 3 tournies. Players still want Olympic medal due to the hype of it

Cant see this ever making enough $$$ either

The NHl has even stated that if the WC is a big thing then there will be no NHL players in Olympic competition. This is their brand of instead.

Perhaps why theres so much uproar about the mickey mouse format.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Why are people getting caught up over the name of the tournament? Does it really matter what it is called? If they changed the name of the Stanley Cup Finals would you stop watching?

I love watching hockey, but in the end it is just entertainment. The tournament format is way more entertaining than the Olympics. I would still watch the SC whether it was called the SC or not because it is entertaining. I like the Memorial Cup format because it is something different.

From a pure entertainment standpoint I don't get how anyone can argue against the format.

WC 2016 Team Canada games
Team Canada vs. Team Czech Republic
Team Canada vs. Team USA
Team Canada vs. Team Europe

Sochi 2014 team Canada games
Canada vs. Norway
Canada vs. Austria
Canada vs. Finland

So which format will provide for better entertainment?

Team Europe isn't going to coast. They aren't playing for their country, but they will still want to knock off Canada.

But yeah...don't watch because of the name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad