Chiarelli will GM the Young Stars (U23) team at the 2016 World Cup

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 32s32 seconds ago
BREAKING - Sportsnet has learned that #Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli will GM the Young Stars (U23) team at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
BREAKING - Sportsnet has learned that #Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli will GM the Young Stars (U23) team at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

Kudos to him even if I think this world Cup format is garbage.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton

Excellent hopefully he greases as many oilers on there as possible, I'd imagine playing in that would be excellent for development

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have we had the question answered about priority for the U23 team?

Say both Team Canada and the U23 team wants Ekblad and McDavid. Who gets dibs?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I thought U23 players can only play for the U23 team.

Hmm... I also saw Spector tweet that anyone born after Sept 15 1992 is eligible.

Honestly this team was way harder to pick than I thought it would be.

Landeskog-RNH-Kucherov
Eichel-McDavid-Forsberg
Saad-Monahan-MacKinnon
Gaudreau-Couturier-Huberdeau
Scheifele, Jenner

Lindholm-Hamilton
Brodin-Jones
Maatta/Klefbom-Trouba
Rielly-Ristolainen

Gibson
Vasilievsky
Subban/Brossoit/Skapski/Other rookie

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Hmm... I also saw Spector tweet that anyone born after Sept 15 1992 is eligible.

Landeskog-RNH-Kucherov
Eichel-McDavid-Forsberg
Saad-Monahan-MacKinnon
Scheifele, Jenner

Lindholm-Hamilton
Brodin-Jones
Maatta/Klefbom-Trouba
Rielly-Ristolainen

Gibson
Vasilievsky

It's only North American players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's only North American players.

Landeskog-RNH-Kucherov
Eichel-McDavid-Forsberg
Saad-Monahan-MacKinnon
Scheifele, Jenner

Lindholm-Hamilton
Brodin-Jones
Maatta/Klefbom-Trouba
Rielly-Ristolainen

Gibson
Vasilievsky

Wow, goodbye left defence :laugh:

Okay...

OUT: Landeskog, Kucherov, Forsberg, Lindholm, Brodin, Maataa, Klefbom, Risto, Vasi

IN: R. Strome, Lowry, Horvat, R. Murray, N. Beaulieu, A Ekblad (missed him first time :facepalm: M. Dumba, Hellebuyck/Murray

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Congrats to our POHO, great news.

I love to format, cant wait to watch this next summer!

Ill be so curious to see how the U23 team does against team Canada, as I think they will be the 2nd or 3rd place team in the event.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That seems like a very odd restriction.

This is the under 23 team at the World Cup, and only NA players are eligible? Lame.

There were decisions like that made specifically to make the tournament more competitive. Canada and USA have some advantage since it is their home turf. The U23 team was made to nerf those teams. This principle is also behind that world team, made up of lower tier nations that couldn't win on their own.

I think it will be great.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The "young stars" team is the lamest part of the entire world cup format IMO.

Why would you want to compete against your own country?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The "young stars" team is the lamest part of the entire world cup format IMO.

Why would you want to compete against your own country?
Yeah, exactly. I didn't realize until today that under 23 players weren't eligible to play for the Canadian and U.S. Teams or that they were North American only. That seems like it could have the potential to handicap those teams.

I've hated this format since it was announced mainly because you could conceivably have the winner of the World Cup of Hockey (or whatever the hell they're calling it) not actually being a country. How ****ing stupid is that? I love the idea of a World Cup, I loved the Canada Cups. This idea is just plain stupid and I hope either the Under 23 team or the European All-Star team wins and the league gets ridiculed for it. No reason they had to set it up like this. There are always weaker teams at World Championships in every sport. They could have stuck 2 more in or even cut it down to six if they were really worried about competitive balance. I hate gimmicks and that's what this is.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
There were decisions like that made specifically to make the tournament more competitive. Canada and USA have some advantage since it is their home turf. The U23 team was made to nerf those teams. This principle is also behind that world team, made up of lower tier nations that couldn't win on their own.

I think it will be great.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, mate.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Congrats to our POHO, great news.

I love to format, cant wait to watch this next summer!

Ill be so curious to see how the U23 team does against team Canada, as I think they will be the 2nd or 3rd place team in the event.

I don't know if the team is going to have the defensive ability required to play with the top teams in the tournament. Or the goaltending for that matter. Or the experience...

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yeah, exactly. I didn't realize until today that under 23 players weren't eligible to play for the Canadian and U.S. Teams or that they were North American only. That seems like it could have the potential to handicap those teams.

I've hated this format since it was announced mainly because you could conceivably have the winner of the World Cup of Hockey (or whatever the hell they're calling it) not actually being a country. How ****ing stupid is that? I love the idea of a World Cup, I loved the Canada Cups. This idea is just plain stupid and I hope either the Under 23 team or the European All-Star team wins and the league gets ridiculed for it. No reason they had to set it up like this. There are always weaker teams at World Championships in every sport. They could have stuck 2 more in or even cut it down to six if they were really worried about competitive balance. I hate gimmicks and that's what this is.

Hahaha. I haven't invested any time into thinking about this, but that thought made me laugh.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Wow, goodbye left defence :laugh:

Okay...

OUT: Landeskog, Kucherov, Forsberg, Lindholm, Brodin, Maataa, Klefbom, Risto, Vasi

IN: R. Strome, Lowry, Horvat, R. Murray, N. Beaulieu, A Ekblad (missed him first time :facepalm: M. Dumba, Hellebuyck/Murray
Keyword noted :laugh: j/k

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004

They shouldn't have a Canada Cup at all.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think it's absurd that the NHL is arrogant enough to think a team like Slovakia isn't competitive enough to be in the tournament. They nearly beat Canada in 2010 in the Semis at the Olympics and have been strong in the World Championships.

I just don't get why they thought they had to reinvent the wheel for this tournament, especially if they want this to replace the Olympics. This feels more like a made for TV marketing event for the NHL rather than a legitimate international best on best tournament.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't like how the under 23 North Americans have to play for that team but i do really like the idea behind the format. I like the Team Europe idea since guys like Kopitar really should be involved in a World Cup style tournament and i like the idea of a second team for Canadian players, even if the odd American will be on the team as well, especially since the young guys almost always draw the short stick in tournaments like this.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I don't like how the under 23 North Americans have to play for that team but i do really like the idea behind the format. I like the Team Europe idea since guys like Kopitar really should be involved in a World Cup style tournament and i like the idea of a second team for Canadian players, even if the odd American will be on the team as well, especially since the young guys almost always draw the short stick in tournaments like this.

Yeah, very curious to see what the Europe all star will look like. Agreed that it would be odd to be on the Young stars playing against your own country. Should be a strong team in a few years with Eichel and McDavid finding their groove. Should be a quick and fun team to watch though with all of those youngs legs.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
lol weird to finally have a GM who gets selected for these kind of stuff. Imagine Tambo or mact being selected

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad