Chiarelli will GM the Young Stars (U23) team at the 2016 World Cup

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
I just want a legit best-versus-best international tournament once every four years. I don't care who runs it or what they call it, as long as the international supremacy of the sport gets contested.

This format isn't what I had in mind for a "World Cup."

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Then the same player says "It doesnt get better than playing in Toronto for Team Canada"

Ridiculous!
Nobody is arguing nothing is better than playing for Team Canada in Toronto. The issue here is Canadian players playing in Toronto for a team that isn't Canada. Not sure why you're having so much trouble getting that.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
There were decisions like that made specifically to make the tournament more competitive. Canada and USA have some advantage since it is their home turf. The U23 team was made to nerf those teams. This principle is also behind that world team, made up of lower tier nations that couldn't win on their own.

I think it will be great.
What? Can someone explain this format?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
When the World Cup is scheduled the European leagues will have already started their seasons and I'm not sure those teams would want to send their players to this tournament. If that's the case, a country like Slovakia wouldn't even have enough players available to make a team. The European all star team creates what will likely be a more competitive team as well as allowing some star players to play that normally couldn't. The under 23 team gives the NHL the opportunity to show off the young stars in the league. There may be a lot of people who don't like the format but it makes sense from the NHL's perspective.

How is this going to be different in four years time for the next tournament? The European leagues will still have already started and won't be interested in sending players. If this was the reason for the all-star team then Bettman wouldn't be hinting at qualification games for the next tournament, he'd be selling this as a permanent fixture.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What? Can someone explain this format?

That was my take as well. 6 real nation teams, a "Europe" team, somehow comprised, an under 23 NA team(no flag, nation of Walmart), then with the US and Canadian teams subsequently being not comprised of under 23 players.

The above teams then play ringet on rollerblades under last goal scored wins format, while chewing official licenced bubble gum and the games are televised to compete with Children's Saturday morning programming.

I think 8 teams and 3 cartoon teams with voice overs

I think its something like that..;)

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Another tournament with NHL players for us all to watch? I don't see how anyone could complain. Who cares about the format? It'll be fun to watch, regardless.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I for one love the u23 and Europe format.

We see the world format at the Olympics. This is refreshing

Where else are you going to see McDavid setting up Eichel and Bennett in a competitive game. Im suprised theres not a ton more love for this team.

The Europe team is cool because it allows a solid team rather than some ok europe nations with some good players but brought down by lack of depth

Its gimmicky but ill be watching every game

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
How is this going to be different in four years time for the next tournament? The European leagues will still have already started and won't be interested in sending players. If this was the reason for the all-star team then Bettman wouldn't be hinting at qualification games for the next tournament, he'd be selling this as a permanent fixture.

Bettman is hoping the World Cup is successful and that it can replace the Olympics as the major international hockey tournament. If that works he would convince the European leagues to take part. I don't if that will work out but I am guessing that's the plan.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Where else are you going to see McDavid setting up Eichel and Bennett in a competitive game. Im suprised theres not a ton more love for this team.

The Europe team is cool because it allows a solid team rather than some ok europe nations with some good players but brought down by lack of depth

you basically summarize why I hate it, but you like it? It is a gimmik, what next? Where does this end. You just try and out do one gimmik with another. It is the worlds, that means country vs country. That is just what it means, somethings should just not be changed.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

All-Star games are for stuff like that. The NHL has rejigged that format several times over the years to get players playing with whomever they want. They've already ruined the skills competition to make it unwatchable for anybody over 35 so I don't think anybody would care what they do with that anymore. They've pretty much turned that week end into a joke. This is supposed to be a WorldCup though, at least that's what they're selling it as, don't mess around with the format. They're going to turn international competition into a joke too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
you basically summarize why I hate it, but you like it? It is a gimmik, what next? Where does this end. You just try and out do one gimmik with another. It is the worlds, that means country vs country. That is just what it means, somethings should just not be changed.

All-Star games are for stuff like that. The NHL has rejigged that format several times over the years to get players playing with whomever they want. They've already ruined the skills competition to make it unwatchable for anybody over 35 so I don't think anybody would care what they do with that anymore. They've pretty much turned that week end into a joke. This is supposed to be a WorldCup though, at least that's what they're selling it as, don't mess around with the format. They're going to turn international competition into a joke too.

Totally agree with thsse posts. Garbage contrived gimmicks.

As the immortal Johhny Rotten posited;

Ever get the feelin yer being cheated"

This is worse than some space cadet organizing a basement table hockey tournament and having teams for the different planets of the solar system.

Bettman gone full sell out with this.

Maybe Gene Simmons and KISS can lip sync "Flaming Youth" as the U23 team anthem. if he isn't in the slammer for child abuse by then..

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I think it just adds fun stuff to exisiting ways. The Olympics is great because its country vs country but does anyone really think Germany/Slovakia/czech/Slovenia/latvia/Siwtzerland/Norway stand a chance in competing? They are most often the fluff games teams use to get ready and typically result in lopsided games. Sorry for anyone from these nations, no disrespect and these nations are getting better. But does anyone really put stock into a Canada vs slovenia game? Sure sometimes there is the feel good story of a Latvia challenging Canada or Slovkia beating US etc, but its rare. This gives a chance for those teams to band together and combine best guys. The roster is comparable to US or Canada

For u23, these guys are still very good, and most are top 25 in the league in their positions, if not top 10 NA players. However we dont see them in Olympics because of age. Hall was a victim of this and there is plenty of guys that could compete with actual nations. Its exciting but also a development tool. If NA u23 gets killed this tourny, do a world U23 team next so swedes, finnish and russian u23s can join

And for anybody saying this is a glorified all star game.. no player gives a crap about the all star game. No player tries. the product is horrible

Id love to see the following teams:

Sweden
Finland
Russia
Canada
US
strongest of czech/slovakia/swiss
team europe
NA/world u23

Thats actually the best vs best v best. With only the u23 being behind, but still good

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the players think it's a joke isn't this just going to be a glorified all-star tourney?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think it just adds fun stuff to exisiting ways. The Olympics is great because its country vs country but does anyone really think Germany/Slovakia/czech/Slovenia/latvia/Siwtzerland/Norway stand a chance in competing? They are most often the fluff games teams use to get ready and typically result in lopsided games. Sorry for anyone from these nations, no disrespect and these nations are getting better. But does anyone really put stock into a Canada vs slovenia game? Sure sometimes there is the feel good story of a Latvia challenging Canada or Slovkia beating US etc, but its rare. This gives a chance for those teams to band together and combine best guys. The roster is comparable to US or Canada

For u23, these guys are still very good, and most are top 25 in the league in their positions, if not top 10 NA players. However we dont see them in Olympics because of age. Hall was a victim of this and there is plenty of guys that could compete with actual nations. Its exciting but also a development tool. If NA u23 gets killed this tourny, do a world U23 team next so swedes, finnish and russian u23s can join

And for anybody saying this is a glorified all star game.. no player gives a crap about the all star game. No player tries. the product is horrible

Sweden
Finland
Russia
Canada
US
team europe
NA/world u23

Thats actually the best vs best v best. With only the u23 being behind, but still good
What player is really going to care about team europe?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

For u23, these guys are still very good, and most are top 25 in the league in their positions, if not top 10 NA players. However we dont see them in Olympics because of age. Hall was a victim of this and there is plenty of guys that could compete with actual nations. Its exciting but also a development tool

Sweden
Finland
Russia
Canada
US
team europe
NA u23
world u23

its called a world cup, for some reason, which infers actual Nations playing. You know, the way any world cup in any sport has worked before.

This is childrens programming comedy hour stuff.

Maybe Scooby doo can coach one of the teams. Its more than obvious what Bettman is doing here sliding a U23 team in here and a denigrating "Team Europe"

If WCE did hockey it would look like this. Not a good thing.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Nobody is arguing nothing is better than playing for Team Canada in Toronto. The issue here is Canadian players playing in Toronto for a team that isn't Canada. Not sure why you're having so much trouble getting that.

Well you ask all the Canada players that arent playing for team canada, and all the europe players that dont have a team, and the answer will be a astounding "Yes we are excited"

Who cares that they arent playing on Team Canada they will be just happy to be playing such calibur hockey.

Why do you have so much trouble getting that?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What player is really going to care about team europe?

Competitive Europeans who want to take down NA who have gotten all the glory and media the past 10 years. I dont think Slovenia can stand a chance, but Kopitar will still be motivated to beat US even if its beside Chara. They are still playing against a common enemy and Euro countries are still connected with a source of pride

For example if US wasnt as good at soccer and the world cup was changed so Mexico, Canada, US teamed up and could actually compete vs Germany/Brazil etc you better believe id follow the heck out of them and cheer for them. Because if you win, its because of your team and countries you like are also sharing in the joy

its called a world cup, for some reason, which infers actual Nations playing. You know, the way any world cup in any sport has worked before.

This is childrens programming comedy hour stuff.

Maybe Scooby doo can coach one of the teams. Its more than obvious what Bettman is doing here sliding a U23 team in here and a denigrating "Team Europe"

If WCE did hockey it would look like this. Not a good thing.

We have the olympics every four years for this, so its not like everythings been changed. Now we just fielded all competitive teams vs having some below average ones who teams beat up on

The worst that can happen is team europe plays with no motivation and gets rolled by other teams (which would happen if they played as seperate nations). Canada/US/Rus are still taking uber hard

The best that can happen is team europe becomes a legit top threat and challenges Canada

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Another tournament with NHL players for us all to watch? I don't see how anyone could complain. Who cares about the format? It'll be fun to watch, regardless.

Agreed.

Last Olympics was a total snoozefest anyways with Canada utterly destroying everyone else with possibly the highest level of two-way hockey ever seen at a tournament like that. I don't have a lot of interest in seeing a few big hockey powers roll over France and Latvia just for a showdown in the playoffs. Not my thing.

This way there are more teams that can actually be competitive and we get some new kicks at the can when it comes to entertainment. If it flops, well it was a good attempt. Try something new for the next go round.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I can't believe people can actually get worked up and upset about having the most talent stacked tournament in history. Team Europe makes sense, why wouldn't you want guys like Kopitar playing in a best on best format over say 45 year old Miroslav Satan? Who cares if Slovakia is being replaced by a better team, they were 99.9% unlikely to win. The NA youngstars is a little dumb but apparently it's not confirmed that 23 and under players will have to play for that team, they aren't likely to win and what the hell is so wrong with getting a chance to see players like McDavid and MacKinnon when they would be very unlikely to make Team Canada. I just want to see the best Hockey possible not watch the Swiss/Germans trap for 60 minutes while Kopitar sits at home and David Wolf is getting top 6 minutes. I just fail to see how this is a real problem, hockey isn't like soccer not everyone plays it, why make it impossible for top players to play just so we can have two teams that can't win and drag down the quality play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad