Chiarelli will GM the Young Stars (U23) team at the 2016 World Cup

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
This was discussed in the international forum, I thought I may was well bring it up here, the Edmonton forum...in 4 years time Connor McDavid in all likelihood will be the best Canadian player, and arguably could very well be the best player in the world, but according to the tournament format rules he'll be unavailable to play for Team Canada. Think about that...Canada's best player won't be available for Team Canada as he'll still be a U23 player. The whole idea is just so stupid...if it's not worth doing more than once, then it's not worth attempting for the 1st time. This tournament is a big fail for me and I won't be watching a minute of it.

Don't think of it as "Team Canada" think of it as "The over the age of 23 Canadian Allstars", if you do that, you'll find that you immediately stop caring.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
This was discussed in the international forum, I thought I may was well bring it up here, the Edmonton forum...in 4 years time Connor McDavid in all likelihood will be the best Canadian player, and arguably could very well be the best player in the world, but according to the tournament format rules he'll be unavailable to play for Team Canada. Think about that...Canada's best player won't be available for Team Canada as he'll still be a U23 player. The whole idea is just so stupid...if it's not worth doing more than once, then it's not worth attempting for the 1st time. This tournament is a big fail for me and I won't be watching a minute of it.

Isn't this a U24 team, and not a U23 team?

And shouldn't it have been U23? So that players like McDavid and Eichel aren't forced to play for this team twice?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the two all-star teams was just a one-off thing because they didn't have time to hold qualifiers for the lower countries.

Not that I'm defending the idea, I think they should have just taken IIHF rankings and invited the last two countries. Just thought I'd point out that I'm quite sure that these two teams won't be around next time if it somehow doesn't fail.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Don't think of it as "Team Canada" think of it as "The over the age of 23 Canadian Allstars", if you do that, you'll find that you immediately stop caring.

Everyone talks tough a year out. You will be watching next September.

Ratings will be huge and you will all watch it.

Look at how hockey starved people are in September. Now you have all of the best NHL talent playing in September, in NA. No need to watch the best players at odd times of the day.

I don't really get why there is a need to pass judgement on the tournament already. The NHL and the players are trying something new. Let's just see how it plays out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm saying you should give it a shot before having border line temper tantrums about the very idea. Not saying that to you specifically, but some posters that won't be named.

All I'm saying is I understand where the NHL is coming from. Does is seem "silly"? Absolutely, it's definitely not traditional that's for sure.

The NHL is barely a top 5 sport in the US. So again I ask, when Canada wins out in its group with a goal differential of +35. Who's going to watch that?

This format has most definitely gotten people "riled up", talking and created a buzz. Let's see if it delivers any entertainment, traditional or not. But in the end, that's all that it is, entertainment.

Hey, I'm not even sure I agree with it, but I'm excited to watch it.

Those of us that have been around for Canada/Russia series, Canada Cups etc have seen a level of international hockey that quite frankly none of the younger people have often seen. The closest it comes in recent decades is the few top games of an Olympic tournament the rare times NHL players do compete. (Which historically has been quite an anomaly which is going to end again)

So instead of great international tournaments you get dreck like this instead with contrived gimmicks as if a global international hockey tournament with member nations playing for their country and honor isn't a glorious thing.

Really I'm a devout hockey fan but the most glorious sporting event on the planet and witnessd by the most people is the Soccer world cup which is great because it rekindles national passions, prides, and with each tournament being unforgettable, legendary, and unlike any other sporting event that happens on the globe. Instead going with National side strengths the NHL, in its wisdom, feels its better to go a different way. I don't know that many agree.

I've seen enough great hockey tournaments that have been legendary and will likely be unmatched, no biggy, but I honestly feel sorry for younger people that get foisted this market leveraged dreck and that this becomes your memories.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Everyone talks tough a year out. You will be watching next September.

Ratings will be huge and you will all watch it.

Look at how hockey starved people are in September. Now you have all of the best NHL talent playing in September, in NA. No need to watch the best players at odd times of the day.

I don't really get why there is a need to pass judgement on the tournament already. The NHL and the players are trying something new. Let's just see how it plays out.

Yup, even the guys who say they were not watching will have been watching it but too stubborn to admit it.

NHLFAN82

Jul 15, 2014
Those of us that have been around for Canada/Russia series, Canada Cups etc have seen a level of international hockey that quite frankly none of the younger people have often seen. The closest it comes in recent decades is the few top games of an Olympic tournament the rare times NHL players do compete. (Which historically has been quite an anomaly which is going to end again)

There was only six teams in the Canada cups and two teams in the other series. Of course they are going to be better.

If the NHL took the top 6 teams based on IIHF rankings and made that the world cup, I would love that. But if you are including more teams, I would rather watch the gimmick teams than teams outside of the top 6. Under both situations you still have people complaining that their country isn't participating.

The fact that those tournaments are so great supports not having garbage hockey teams there. What if Germany and Switzerland were invited to the 1991 Canada Cup. I think that would dilute the tournament talent. Go look at how badly Germany was getting beat at the World Championships in 1991 by the teams that competed in the Canada Cup. It would have been worse of a beating against those rosters.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Should've had an old ******* team too. Get some guys close to retirement or retired. Wasn't someone doing one in Europe anyway? Seems like this would be the perfect place for a gimmick team like that.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Some of the complaints are so assinine i don't even know where to begin, like people really think the games won't be competitive? Wow. You can tell some people aren't exactly athletes, who the **** plays sports like that? These players are pro athletes getting the chance to play on a huge stage like the world cup, even if they aren't directly representing their country, doesn't mean they aren't still representing their nation on a smaller scale nor does it mean they aren't representing themselves. ******** the bed at the World Cup will not reflect well on a player but it's not the end of the world, playing very well however will most certainly raise a players profile and set him up for a bigger better payday. Tournaments like this are coming out parties and legacy builders. Athletes have pride and greater sense of self worth than to just not try because they don't have their countries crest on their chest. The All Star game isn't remotely comparable, the result is meaningless, a World Cup is a wonderful accomplishment. The All Star game doesn't allow hitting ffs. I can't believe people aren't just happy to see Canada kick ass and for awesome hockey.

Also could somebody link me to a report that says 23 and under NA players have to play for the U23 team? Because i'm not sure that's true, Donald Fehr was saying just the other day it was still unannounced/undecided.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Some of the complaints are so assinine i don't even know where to begin, like people really think the games won't be competitive? Wow. You can tell some people aren't exactly athletes, who the **** plays sports like that? These players are pro athletes getting the chance to play on a huge stage like the world cup, even if they aren't directly representing their country, doesn't mean they aren't still representing their nation on a smaller scale nor does it mean they aren't representing themselves. ******** the bed at the World Cup will not reflect well on a player but it's not the end of the world, playing very well however will most certainly raise a players profile and set him up for a bigger better payday. Tournaments like this are coming out parties and legacy builders. Athletes have pride and greater sense of self worth than to just not try because they don't have their countries crest on their chest. The All Star game isn't remotely comparable, the result is meaningless, a World Cup is a wonderful accomplishment. The All Star game doesn't allow hitting ffs. I can't believe people aren't just happy to see Canada kick ass and for awesome hockey.

Also could somebody link me to a report that says 23 and under NA players have to play for the U23 team? Because i'm not sure that's true, Donald Fehr was saying just the other day it was still unannounced/undecided.

Have you even watched an All Star game? Ya, games can be uncompetitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad