News Article: Chiarelli breaks his silence

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
He's still gutting it out in the ECHL for some reason. 2 points in 16 games this year. Oof.

It's been weird here. There's actually more people out for walks now than before.

I agree with Trump when he says that there is a limit to how long they can shut down the economy. We will have to live with a certain amount of risk, as we always do.

The virus will not be totally eliminated for a long time, if ever.

Taiwan managed to handle the virus without bringing the economy to a halt.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's more like

When things are going good = Lowe is not involved.

When things are going bad = OmG! Lowe must be Emperor Palpatine secretly controlling all things behind the scenes.

Where was all this "Lowe/OBC are puppet masters in 16-17 when everyone was falling over themselves to give Chiarelli credit. Then when things went bad, suddenly it must've been Lowe that did it somehow.

The truth is Chiarelli's tenure is basically a case study in what happens when you essentially gut the entire forward group around McDavid + Draisaitl + RNH and give them nothing to work with.

No...there is plenty of evidence to suggest the Katz and friends were messing with hockey Ops. Its doesnt absolve Chia from any accountability but it was definitely an issue.
In any event its been beaten to death already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No...there is plenty of evidence to suggest the Katz and friends were messing with hockey Ops. Its doesnt absolve Chia from any accountability but it was definitely an issue.
In any event its been beaten to death already.

If that's the case then shouldn't Lowe and co. have been given credit in 16-17 when the team had 103 points? Don't recall a peep about that back then.

You can't just assign all credit to the GM when things are good and then put the blame on others when things aren't going good. Can't have it both ways.

The buck stops with the GM, otherwise you have no accountability as an organization if you're going to operate under the basis of when things are good, it's all the GM, and when things are bad, well, it this can't be happening so now someone else needs to be blamed. GM's job to build the team period. Buck stops at his desk.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If that's the case then shouldn't Lowe and co. have been given credit in 16-17 when the team had 103 points? Don't recall a peep about that back then.

You can't just assign all credit to the GM when things are good and then put the blame on others when things aren't going good. Can't have it both ways.

The buck stops with the GM, otherwise you have no accountability as an organization if you're going to operate under the basis of when things are good, it's all the GM, and when things are bad, well, it this can't be happening so now someone else needs to be blamed. GM's job to build the team period. Buck stops at his desk.

It really doesnt matter to me how much credit Lowe and company received for 2016/17 and how much blame they get for what followed.

The point for me is that they were involved in making hockey Ops decisions which is the wrong way to run an organization...full stop.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It really doesnt matter to me how much credit Lowe and company received from 2016/17 and how much blame they get for what followed.

The point for me is that they were involved in making hockey Ops decisions which is the wrong way to run an organization...full stop.

We don't even know this. There's zero proof.

It's just that when things are bad, suddenly they become the scapegoat no matter what.

No one told Peter Chiarelli to give McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH no one to play with upfront.

It's fairly obvious now that you give that 3 player group even a moderate amount of help and you have a playoff team. We missed the playoffs in previous 2 years for no good reason whatsoever.

We sat on our ass doing nothing the summer before last while a player like Mike Hoffman was available for peanuts, look at the massive difference one extra top 6 player in Yamamoto made to the team this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We don't even know this. There's zero proof.

It's just that when things are bad, suddenly they become the scapegoat no matter what.

No one told Peter Chiarelli to give McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH no one to play with upfront.

It's fairly obvious now that you give that 3 player group even a moderate amount of help and you have a playoff team. We missed the playoffs in previous 2 years for no good reason whatsoever.

There is plenty of proof. It was discussed to death on here and you know that to be true.

I have moved well past all of this since the season started. Its over. At this point in time I have no appetite to peel the scab off of this issue.
Feel free to dig up one of the many threads about this very topic if you think that it requires further discussion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There is plenty of proof. It was discussed to death on here and you know that to be true.

I have moved well past all of this since the season started. Its over. At this point in time I have no appetite to peel the scab off of this issue.
Feel free to dig up one of the many threads about this very topic if you think that it requires further discussion.

Provide proof, there isn't any.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Whatever...I am not going to be responsible for your denial.
There was plenty of smoke/discussion and you know it.

Because you have nothing.

Even if I bought the kool-aid being sold here, let me let you in on a secret -- making the playoffs should be easy with McDavid and Draisaitl.

It's not even like Holland has done anything magical pre-deadline.

He added a tiny bit of extra depth scoring, then Yamamoto has added one extra top 6 forward which finally let them have a legit 2 line top 6 deployment.

There's no excuse for Chiarelli not being able to accomplish that low bar of a requirement even if Kevin Lowe was living up his ass. McDavid and Draisaitl require no where close to a perfect team.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Because you have nothing.

Even if I bought the kool-aid being sold here, let me let you in on a secret -- making the playoffs should be easy with McDavid and Draisaitl.

It's not even like Holland has done anything magical.

He added a tiny bit of extra depth scoring, then Yamamoto has added a top 6 forward.

There's no excuse for Chiarelli not being able to accomplish that low bar of a requirement even if Kevin Lowe was living up his ass.

I cant make myself any clearer for you. You are entitled to believe what you want...I just dont care about this issue anymore.
Chia was ultimately responsible...he had plenty of uninvited help though.

In terms of Holland...you are framing this like he preformed magic. You alone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I cant make myself any clearer for you. You are entitled to believe what you want...I just dont care about this issue anymore.
Chia was ultimately responsible...he had plenty of help though.

That's not a "belief", that's a fact.

Give McDavid and Draisaitl even the lowest bar of help and you have a playoff team.

Because they are that good.

There is no excuse for any GM to not have a playoff team here. Period. No excuse. Doesn't matter who was whispering in their ear.

The bar is that low.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's not a "belief", that's a fact.

Give McDavid and Draisaitl even the lowest bar of help and you have a playoff team.

Because they are that good.

There is no excuse for any GM to not have a playoff team here. Period. No excuse. Doesn't matter who was whispering in their ear.

The bar is that low.

Sure. Okay.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure. Okay.

For a guy "who doesn't care" you sure like posting in a thread.

It takes a special brand of stupid to miss the playoffs with 2/3 best players on Earth. Pittsburgh never has missed with Crosby and Malkin even in years with massive injuries. The Oilers should not be that different.

Holland hasn't done anything fancy or special here, just been half competent, which is all McDavid and Draisaitl need.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
For a guy "who doesn't care" you sure like posting in a thread.

It takes a special brand of stupid to miss the playoffs with 2/3 best players on Earth. Pittsburgh never has missed with Crosby and Malkin even in years with massive injuries. The Oilers should not be that different.

Holland hasn't done anything fancy or special here, just been half competent, which is all McDavid and Draisaitl need.

I am not telling you what to believe. You just dig your heels in and disregard any salient info that contradicts your position.
I just dont want to get into yet another a circular discussion with you that goes no where. Been down that road too many times already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I am not telling you what to believe. You just dig your heels in and disregard any salient info that contradicts your position.
I just dont want to get into yet another a circular discussion with you that goes no where. Been down that road too many times already.

Then just stick to the facts.

Factually how many teams with two 100 point players on them have missed the playoffs in the last 20 years?

How many times have the Penguins missed with Crosby and Malkin on their roster?

I believe the answer to both questions is 0. The Oilers have no excuse for missing the playoffs the last two years with two players this good. Period. Especially when one of them is pretty much agreed upon to be the best in the world, now this year debatably they have two of the best players in the world period.

If you are still struggling to make the playoffs, your GM is so stupid you should probably ask if he can tie his shoelaces.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@Soundwave
My position...just so its clear.
Holland has done a good job. So has Tippett.

I think that you are over simplifying things here.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
where were all the people crying about the Hall-Larsson trade when the Oilers were playing really well while Larsson was eating up huge ES minutes and going+21? meanwhile, Hall put a 53 points on a bad team
same thing.

oh, and the OBC couldn't wait to get rid of Hall, 6 months before Chia arrived
Lowetide.ca | BLOOD ON THE TRACKS

It was implied by Stauffer that Hall had beef with Buchberger ? [and by extension, Lowe and MacT] way back IIRC. Probably called them idiots and feelings were hurt

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
It's a little terrifying looking at the prospect pool Chia had to work with.

1. Laurent Brossoit
2. Anton Slepyshev
3. Jujhar Khaira
4. Bogdan Yakimov
5. Dillon Simpson
6. Mitch Moroz
7. Greg Chase
8. Marco Roy
9. Brandon Davidson
10. Joey LaLeggia

That was arguably the team's top 10 prospects when he took over. Oh lawd.

1. Draisaitl
2. Nurse

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
1. Draisaitl
2. Nurse

McDavid
Draisaitl

Were basically gifts from Mac T. Plus a 16th pick in a loaded 2015 draft. Are we gonna give Mac T credit too? No Tambellini and no RNH or Klefbom either. So I guess we have to credit him also.

Fact is it's becoming more and more clear you have to be an utter moron to miss the playoffs with McDavid and Draisaitl, especially now that its become clear Leon is a Hart caliber player himself.

Draisaitl is a better player than a lot of teams have ... there are many teams that wish they had a Draisaitl and then you have freaking McDAVID on top of that.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I guess you could count them, but they were full time NHLers in Chia's first year.

I was focusing on your bottom line. When he took over, both of them were in the CHL so classifying them as prospects would be most accurate.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
McDavid
Draisaitl

Were basically gifts from Mac T. Plus a 16th pick in a loaded 2015 draft. Are we gonna give Mac T credit too? No Tambellini and no RNH or Klefbom either. So I guess we have to credit him also.

Fact is it's becoming more and more clear you have to be an utter moron to miss the playoffs with McDavid and Draisaitl, especially now that its become clear Leon is a Hart caliber player himself.

Draisaitl is a better player than a lot of teams have ... there are many teams that wish they had a Draisaitl and then you have freaking McDAVID on top of that.

As bad as many recent seasons have been, none are more inexcusable than not even being able to compete for a playoff spot in 2018-2019.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Why would there have been? The only thing they contributed to the team came out of the draft lottery. The majority of the depth of that roster came through his trades and signings. Talbot, Sekera, Lucic, Maroon, Caggiula, Russell, Benning...

When it came to the lack of a supporting cast for our stars, look no further than that prospect depth. One year removed from his position and his predecessor is already reaping the benefits of his drafting record.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why would there have been? The only thing they contributed to the team came out of the draft lottery. The majority of the depth of that roster came through his trades and signings. Talbot, Sekera, Lucic, Maroon, Caggiula, Russell, Benning...

When it came to the lack of a supporting cast for our stars, look no further than that prospect depth. One year removed from his position and his predecessor is already reaping the benefits of his drafting record.

Why is it a one way road then? If the presumption is Lowe/Mac T was some how pulling the strings, why was no one saying that in 16-17?

It's only when things started to turn sour in 17-18 and 18-19 that suddenly it's Lowe's fault.

Seems awfully convenient.

Every GM here has benefitted from players drafted by the previous GM, McDavid and especially Draisaitl and Nurse are a result of Mac T's reign, Klefbom and RNH and Hall were from Tambellini's reign.

If your franchise is going to operate under the basis that when things are good the active GM gets 100% of the credit and when things are bad they can just blame some invisible boogeyman for things going bad ... you might as well admit you have zero accountability as a franchise.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why is it a one way road then? If the presumption is Lowe/Mac T was some how pulling the strings, why was no one saying that in 16-17?

It's only when things started to turn sour in 17-18 and 18-19 that suddenly it's Lowe's fault.

Every GM here has benefitted from players drafted by the previous GM, McDavid and especially Draisaitl and Nurse are a result of Mac T's reign, Klefbom and RNH and Hall were from Tambellini's reign.
I'm not even talking about them pulling strings. If you really want to get into that, what are they even still doing there at that point? That fact that MacT still had a voice raises a few flags for anyone who's thinking logically.

Griffin Reinhart is as far as I need to look when it came to their input. And I've already said that Chiarelli still wears that himself.

GMs are victims of their team's circumstances. If an organization lacks amateur prospect depth, odds are that any GM is going to struggle in terms of professional depth down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad