News Article: Chiarelli breaks his silence

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He actually did a pretty good job until the last season when he went off the wall with some of his trades.

This roster has a lot of Chia players, so does our farm team.
He was pretty good until the summer of 2017, when he traded away Eberle and didn't improve the roster...he made it worse
(his Reinhart trade is unforgivable though)

Reactions: B33K33PING

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He was pretty good until he traded Seguin, Wheeler and Taylor Hall.

This guys was always a f***ing clown. I sussed that out before we had him.

His small deals, most of them were crap as well, and they sure don't balance out the harm he did.

Chiarelli doesn't even deserve to have a thread here.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He actually did a pretty good job until the last season when he went off the wall with some of his trades
Yeah I guess ... if you ignore the Reinhart trade that was his first real act as GM. :eek: Total ass clown who should never show his face in Edmonton again.

Reactions: Oilhawks

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Chiarelli is a gigantic POS and the fact that he’s deflecting blame just cements what a clueless jackass he was. Of course some of his moves worked out, but the bulk of his work was disastrous and there isn’t enough Purell left in the country to wash all the crap off his hands.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He actually did a pretty good job until the last season when he went off the wall with some of his trades.

This roster has a lot of Chia players, so does our farm team.

Chiarelli did a horrible job from the get go. His first order of business was trading the 16th and 33rd picks in a stacked draft for G. Reinhart (who was in the process of busting). For most GMs (McPhee for example, with the Forsberg for Erat trade) that would be strike 1. But not for Chairelli, that was him getting started. A year later he would do the Hall trade. That should have been the end of him, but again, not even a strike.

At this point, you could see a pattern starting to emerge with Chiarelli. It was the same pattern he had shown in Boston, so clearly he hadnt changed. It was going to be bad news to allow him to make trades/signings. But because Katz has zero back bone and no clue hockey ops wise, he was allowed to make numerous bad moves

The only redeeming quality of Chiarellis tenure was the drafting. But I have always maintained that outside of 1st round picks, GMs dont have much influence and just rely on the scouts. But I will give him or the scouts credit for those drafts

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I still think it's a little fishy that Chia joins an organization famous for fawning over every Oil King that sniffs the NHL and then trades for an Oil King.

From day 1, he and the Oilers Org was pimping how independent Chiarelli was going to be. It was kind of the same thing he was parroting now.

But I will say, it was probably a joint effort. Chiarelli loves his low skill, "heart and soul" grit players. He was probably looking for one of these guys from day 1, and then the Oilers org suggested Reinhart (because they loved Oil Kings players) and it was a match made in heaven

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
While I liked some of his trades (Maroon and Kass in particular), the Reinhart and Hall trades with the Lucic signing were f***ing terrible and really screwed us over.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Considering all the shenanigans that this team management has done I wouldn't blame him however, trying to corner the market on 7th defeseman was inexcusable.
it made no sense and literally looked like a person that was trying to tank the team.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah I guess ... if you ignore the Reinhart trade that was his first real act as GM. :eek: Total ass clown who should never show his face in Edmonton again.

But trading two valuable assets for a defenseman on the downtrend is part of a “six year plan”. Maybe he meant something closer to the “X year plans” of the Bolsheviks :sarcasm:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He should have just stayed silent. Him and Eakins both figure it was everyone else’s fault because those two clowns think they are the smartest guys in the room at all times.

To be fair this organization was being run like a clown show when Eakins and Chia were here.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
From day 1, he and the Oilers Org was pimping how independent Chiarelli was going to be. It was kind of the same thing he was parroting now.

But I will say, it was probably a joint effort. Chiarelli loves his low skill, "heart and soul" grit players. He was probably looking for one of these guys from day 1, and then the Oilers org suggested Reinhart (because they loved Oil Kings players) and it was a match made in heaven

exactly, i really doubt chia was like YEA there's a guy I want. It was clearly management meddling, but of course they'll spin the narrative that chia locked himself in his office and did ALL these trades

Reactions: GOilers88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So when we’re not talking about COVID, we get to talk about Chia. Greatttttt. 2020 sucks.

The 2020 number looks so purty and balanced but its been a lot of bad hot mess news. If its any consolation 1919 was worse in a lot of ways. These repeating numbers are like black cats..

heres another thing. When is the last century the 20's were anything but catastrophic?

roaring my ass;)

Reactions: RattsSSV and Cloned

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad