News Article: Chiarelli breaks his silence

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Then just stick to the facts.

Factually how many teams with two 100 point players on them have missed the playoffs in the last 20 years?

How many times have the Penguins missed with Crosby and Malkin on their roster?

I believe the answer to both questions is 0. The Oilers have no excuse for missing the playoffs the last two years with two players this good. Period. Especially when one of them is pretty much agreed upon to be the best in the world, now this year debatably they have two of the best players in the world period.

If you are still struggling to make the playoffs, your GM is so stupid you should probably ask if he can tie his shoelaces.
The Atlanta thrashers missed the playoffs with 3 players breaking 90 points.

Reactions: Aerchon

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Chia should get a NTC from his next team ( he isn’t allowed to make a trade ) . His trades in Boston and Edmonton has shown he had at high profile trades . Smaller trades he is hit and miss . Drafting ? He gets credit for putting the right people in place . Contracts Draisaitl was overpaid for what he done to that point . He is now underpaid . We lucked out on that .

As for breaking his silence . He said he had full control when he came here so his bad moves fall on him

Go eat a bag of dicks Chia

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Chia should get a NTC from his next team ( he isn’t allowed to make a trade ) . His trades in Boston and Edmonton has shown he bad at high profile trades . Smaller trades he is hit and miss . Drafting ? He gets credit for putting the right people in place . Contracts Draisaitl was overpaid for what he done to that point . He is now underpaid . We lucked out on that .

As for breaking his silence . He said he had full control when he came here so his bad moves fall on him

I liked this post so much I’m glad I got to read it 15 times.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chia should get a NTC from his next team ( he isn’t allowed to make a trade ) . His trades in Boston and Edmonton has shown he bad at high profile trades . Smaller trades he is hit and miss . Drafting ? He gets credit for putting the right people in place . Contracts Draisaitl was overpaid for what he done to that point . He is now underpaid . We lucked out on that .

11 posts....we get it ;)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
11 posts....we get it ;)

"Go eat a big of dicks Chia" 11x

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I liked this post so much I’m glad I got to read it 15 times.

Sorry . Kept timing out and didn’t see the notice on it until this morning :bow:. I guess I should be banished to the Flames board . I would fit right in with Flames fan posting they got the best D in the league 4000 times . Plus I already feel like an idiot . I guess I know how Flames fans feel every day and it’s not good :booboo:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Sorry . Kept timing out and didn’t see the notice on it until this morning :bow:. I guess I should be banished to the Flames board . I would fit right in with Flames fan posting they got the best D in the league 4000 times . Plus I already feel like an idiot . I guess I know how Flames fans feel every day and it’s not good :booboo:
Go eat a bag of dicks, McSuper! Awww just kidding. FWIW, Chiarelli deserves those 11 bags.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Not popular but true.

Outside the Reinhart trade he had far more good moves than bad.

Hall was a wash imo. Sure nice to get a pick or something but Hall wasn't exactly helping the team.

Eberle Strome was brilliant.

Talbot was meh but started out well.

Maroon very good.

Klefbom and Draisaitl deals great.

Very good drafting.

That last year tho... yuk.

Eberle for strome was brilliant....:huh::biglaugh:

Dont think so

Strome was a saptree slug in Edmonton at 3 mill.

He was atrocious. Chia then traded him for beer league Spooner the following season.

Stop crediting him with signing Draisaitl as its all relevant to the cap. That's Equivalent to signing Leon at 10.5 if he was a 75 point player today. Chias signing didnt make Draisaitl legendary. Draisaitl made Draisaitl legendary.

He got destroyed in trades. Larsson for Hall was disgusting. Stop with blanket statements like Taylor fn Hall wasnt helping us much. Lol that's just ignorant.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
You have conditioned my mind to think of bags of dicks when I hear the name Chiarelli. For this service I must thank you.

Reactions: Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thank goodness this guy isn't our GM right now. Would probably trade McDavid for 6 packs of TP and 10 bottles of hand sanitizer.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Not that anyone cares for a Bruins fan perspective, but I can’t help myself.

It’s quite a coincidence that Peter Chiarelli was making the same type of mistakes in both places, with two completely separate groups of people. Also funny how he would get so annoyed with the media when getting questioned on some of these terrible moves. He always tried to speak of the moves as if they were logical, while getting annoyed with the media at the same time for questioning him. Hard for me to believe that he was taking all of this heat and continuing to be knowingly misguided by other people. Also, even if he is being truthful (he isn’t), he is just confessing to be an extremely weak leader. You think your team is screwing up, and as the head guy, you keep your mouth shut? Even if that somehow proved logical, he would still be a horrible GM for being such a pansy.

As soon as PC left Boston, all of the sudden the philosophy shifted to a game focused more on tempo than system. Team started working with young players rather than demonizing and giving up on them. New GM suddenly was not afraid to make a real deadline move instead of digging up bottom line players that were already in excess or maxed out. Felt like we could actually win trades again...

Seems like the same thing is happening in Edmonton now.

It would all be quite a coincidence if PC was wronged by others in both places and it had nothing to do with him. Either way, he proves incompetent to be an NHL GM.

Reactions: Del Preston

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
The Reinhart trade will forever be his worst move. With the other bad ones you can kinda see where he’s coming from (Eberle, Hall, Lucic contract). What the actual f*** was he thinking trading away two good picks in a loaded draft for an absolute bum?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Reinhart trade will forever be his worst move. With the other bad ones you can kinda see where he’s coming from (Eberle, Hall, Lucic contract). What the actual f*** was he thinking trading away two good picks in a loaded draft for an absolute bum?
Well, the logic is there was they were hoping to pull an NHL defenseman in one or two years versus the three or four years it'd take on average to put a pick in that range into the league.

The problem behind the execution of that deal is the fact that it was likely pushed by everyone in our organization at the time, which means there was bias being put into play instead of thorough scouting.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ceci for Eberle/RNH was a thing. A very bad thing that gladly didn't happen. Hall for Ceci is just Dreger being an idiot. Or misquoted. Hall wasn't even rumored to be on the block and Chiarelli admitted he did not shop him.

Larsson was a high pedigree defenseman that was coming off a year where he was widely considered the best on his team. He was believed to be trending up.

Ceci was terrible and imo is still terrible. I would have been pissed if we traded Hall for Ceci.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Chia drafted well is due to the fact that 2015 was a stacked year. Anyone could have drafted well that year. In fact, all you really had to do was load up on a ton of picks that year and draft. Which Chia couldn't even do. He traded the 16th and 33rd picks.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Chia drafted well is due to the fact that 2015 was a stacked year. Anyone could have drafted well that year. In fact, all you really had to do was load up on a ton of picks that year and draft. Which Chia couldn't even do. He traded the 16th and 33rd picks.

Yep. God Beallivou (however it was spelled) and Barzal would have been sexy. Yes, I do know they maybe wouldn't have picked them, but there were plenty left at those picks that would have been better than literally f***ing nothing.

Reactions: Aerrol

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
I don't understand, he always traded for big players but the game was going in another way. Isn't it your job as GM to see which way the league is trending? So just because you won one way in 2011 doesn't mean it works the next years.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chia would trade a 20 nugget meal for a cold filet o fish.
807AB81B-DF5C-482F-9203-D8C08765FEFE.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad