News Article: Chiarelli breaks his silence

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The 2020 number looks so purty and balanced but its been a lot of bad hot mess news. If its any consolation 1919 was worse in a lot of ways. These repeating numbers are like black cats..

heres another thing. When is the last century the 20's were anything but catastrophic?

roaring my ass;)
The good news is we won’t be around for 3030 (or 2120).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He actually did a pretty good job until the last season when he went off the wall with some of his trades.

This roster has a lot of Chia players, so does our farm team.

Did the Reinhart and Hall trades and the Lucic signing all happen in his last season?

He was trash from the beginning. It was only masked for a short time when the team went on a fluke run for one season. Them making the playoffs one year doesn't justify the Reinhart, Hall and Lucic moves.

As far as the farm team is concerned, he didn't do anything special. The Oilers young players/prospects are players that every organization has and a lot in more abundance. It's an improving prospect pool but still average and they did their best to ruin Yamamoto in Chia's tenure. I bet Bouchard would have been rushed to the show as well.
The Draisaitl contract is the one special thing he did. Thanks for that Chia, now get out.

Reactions: frag2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Did the Reinhart and Hall trades and the Lucic signing all happen in his last season?

He was trash from the beginning. It was only masked for a short time when the team went on a fluke run for one season. Them making the playoffs one year doesn't justify the Reinhart, Hall and Lucic moves.

As far as the farm team is concerned, he didn't do anything special. The Oilers young players/prospects are players that every organization has and a lot in more abundance. It's an improving prospect pool but still average and they did their best to ruin Yamamoto in Chia's tenure. I bet Bouchard would have been rushed to the show as well.
The Draisaitl contract is the one special thing he did. Thanks for that Chia, now get out.

I see he gets some praise for the Drai contract, but in reality, he was the one who set the new market for that type of situation. He could have signed him for 7.5 (for example) and that would have set the market too, but 1M cheaper across the board.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I see he gets some praise for the Drai contract, but in reality, he was the one who set the new market for that type of situation. He could have signed him for 7.5 (for example) and that would have set the market too, but 1M cheaper across the board.
Could have signed him for cheaper, sure. But it would have been for less years like Drai's comparables got.

Reactions: MessierII

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Could have signed him for cheaper, sure. But it would have been for less years like Drai's comparables got.

Drai was the first of his situation. Didn't really have many comparables at all at the time his contract was signed.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The only redeeming quality of Chiarellis tenure was the drafting. But I have always maintained that outside of 1st round picks, GMs dont have much influence and just rely on the scouts. But I will give him or the scouts credit for those drafts

Chia did seem to target the right players (Sergachev, Hintz, Marino, then Bear, Jones, etc.) in his draft. He was in on Stetcher before Cags in terms of College FA pursuit.... so signing non-NHL FA he's was alright.

It's his pro scout eval which was terrible. Gryba? DD? Lucic?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I am wondering why anyone would give a shit if be broke his silence. He put the franchise back by several years with his poor performance.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I am wondering why anyone would give a shit if be broke his silence. He put the franchise back by several years with his poor performance.
im still waiting for somebody to awaken the beast after his 7 year sleep in tambellini.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Actually, he should have signed him a year earlier when all this peers, MacKinnon, Barkov, Schiefele, Monahan, Gaudreau etc. got locked up. Based on market value at that time, they probably could have gotten him in the 6-6.5M range.
Nevertheless, he should still get credit for getting Drai for max years at that number as opposed to 6-7 years and the Klefbom contract as well. The amount of praise he deserves for that is up for debate. That's where the credit ends.

Reactions: Cloned

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
God damn has he ever rationalized his failures.

It was a soft article for sure. No tough questions.
How does Garrioch not ask him about the Lucic signing or dig into the Reinhart trade.

Looks like Garrioch did Chia a solid here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So essentially he's saying he had a long term plan, but Katz/the OBC pressured him into making win-now trades.

Doesn't seem all that far-fetched to me.
No it doesn’t.
We’ve had reports of interference with Tom Renney, the Yakupov draft and the Red Wine Summits. That’s just what we know about. It spans every era after Lowe moved on from the GM position. It’s hard to pin point who exactly is responsible for what. I just hope Katz has finally learned his lesson and is really leaving the hockey decisions to Holland and his crew now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No it doesn’t.
We’ve had reports of interference with Tom Renney, the Yakupov draft and the Red Wine Summits. That’s just what we know about. It spans every era after Lowe moved on from the GM position. It’s hard to pin point who exactly is responsible for what. I just hope Katz has finally learned his lesson and is really leaving the hockey decisions to Holland and his crew now.

That's just a convenient excuse to absolve Chia of blame IMO.
He followed the same exact pattern he started in Boston of losing trades, overpaying free agents, mismanaging the cap and swapping out young skill for "character" vets. Some people blamed Neely for having pressured Chia into making stupid moves but it turns out that Neely is now a genius after Chia moved on, funny how that works.

I don't doubt that there was some OBC influence involved but this is Chia's mess and Chia's mess primarily, a mess that the Oilers are still digging out of and will have to deal with for another year or two. A lot of these moves were Chia type moves based on his GM history.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Raised Fist Republic

May 3, 2010
Looks like lying is another thing he's terrible at.
What is this ‘lying’ you speak of? He just has alternative facts. Hall wasn’t traded cause McT/Eakins/Lowe and the rest of the dummies concocted a ‘locker room problem’ and Chia had a boner for Lucic. No, of course it was to give McD ‘space’
Pffffftttttttt.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He actually did a pretty good job until the last season when he went off the wall with some of his trades.

Not popular but true.

Outside the Reinhart trade he had far more good moves than bad.

Hall was a wash imo. Sure nice to get a pick or something but Hall wasn't exactly helping the team.

Eberle Strome was brilliant.

Talbot was meh but started out well.

Maroon very good.

Klefbom and Draisaitl deals great.

Very good drafting.

That last year tho... yuk.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not popular but true.

Outside the Reinhart trade he had far more good moves than bad.

Hall was a wash imo. Sure nice to get a pick or something but Hall wasn't exactly helping the team.

Eberle Strome was brilliant.

Talbot was meh but started out well.

Maroon very good.

Klefbom and Draisaitl deals great.

Very good drafting.

That last year tho... yuk.

Hall for Larsson was a distrastrous trade. If Larsson was a meh top airing D, thats ok. But hes a #4 D at the best of times. Hall went on to win the Hart, Larsson went on to do uhhhh... not much?
Eberle for Strome? Huh. What became of that trade
Talbot was actually a really good move. But its widely speculated the deal was agreed to with MacT and Chiarelli only executed it. But Ill give him full credit. Talbot was good to near elite for 2 years
Klefbom- I will give him credit. Draisaitl was overpaid from day 1 based on comparables. But deal turned out well in the end but LD went beast mode

And you cant just go "1 good move cancels out 1 bad move". The bad moves were way more disastrous than the good moves were beneficial. Like you cant cancel out the Reinhart trade (top 5 worst trade in the past 10 years league-wide) with the Eberle for Strome deal, which was pretty much a near fair swap

After his 1st year, you could see his tendencies from his Boston days showing up, this should have raised major red flags. By his second year, he had completely lost it. After that he was in free fall

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

i will always give Chia credit for having a hand in the good players we got in the 4 drafts he was involved in but his mostly asinine trades really did this team in and set us back a few years! kind of spoils good drafting until those players are ready ! good luck Minnesota or whoever gets him, you're gonna need it !! o_O

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He made a lot of high profile bad trades.

Otherwise he did a pretty good job. Completely turned around our drafting, made great college FA signings, some good under the radar trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad