Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
that's why for years I hated how everyone said no one signs here because it's a bad city. Now that there is some positive vibes around the team and good chance at winning games, all of a sudden we are a place a lot of players want to go to. Go figure.
Nothing angered me more about the OBC than when they (or the certain media flunkies they had in their pockets) would blame the city itself for their inability to sign decent players instead of their own putrid record of running the hockey team.

For a guy who supposedly loves this city as much as Lowe does, he was the guy who started that classless crap years ago after he alienated so many people across the league. To blame the city for all his woes when his actions led to this franchise basically being exiled from the rest of the league is where I lost all my respect for him.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
We can't give Lowe and company 9 years to screw this thing up and give Chiarelli 9 days. He's a smart man with a plan. Who has actually built something before.

I dream of one day. Our Team walking into a road game and the other team is actually thinking oh crap oilers are in town. This isn't going to be an easy night.

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
Full marks to Chiarelli and Co. They had a plan and they've executed well so far. Can't complain. This fan is super excited for this upcoming season. What more is there to say?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For what he did at the draft and for what he did yesterday, I think Chiarelli deserves a hand: :handclap::handclap::handclap:

He's shown amazing asset management over the past few days. He made some amazing trades and signings that we're totally unaccustomed to here in Oil Country. He even sounds like a real GM when he talks to the media. I'm sure there were other factors in play, but he was able to secure us one of the best not only head coaches but one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

Maybe it's because this the first time we had a real GM running the team in almost two decades, maybe it's the McDavid effect, but I for one am very thankful that we were able to get him to run our team.

bit early for thi thread
trades
1) 16 and 33 for Reinhart-- I like the deal--others not so much
2) C- Gordon for Korpikoski--you might have missed the fact that Korp got run out of Arizona--both the gm and coach riped him in the media at the end of the year
3) Sekera lets talk about his deal in three years or sooner
4) Marincin for Gryba--would love to know what MM did to piss of the oilers

Here is a questions

If we do not get McJesus do either Chia Pet and the coach come? I do not think so

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah...let's just not worry 'bout that...mmmmm k? ;)

2) C- Gordon for Korpikoski--you might have missed the fact that Korp got run out of Arizona--both the gm and coach riped him in the media at the end of the year
5) talbot for picks-lucky the picks were low enough it did not matter

so some of us are doing back flips for those deals?

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
\

Trying to read between the lines a little, there was constant issues with his general level of intensity.

They wanted more grit, more of a net presence, standing up for your team-mates.

If you are 6'5", a big part of the frame is the intimidation that should come with it.

Being a butter-cup with a long stick isn't as scary to a forward as say... a lightning quick, nasty mammerjammer like Darnell Nurse.

Marty had a 40-foot sweet spot of ice, just past our defensive hashmarks and before the center-ice line. Always a composed, thoughtful NZ or blue line entry pass.

The rest of the defensive zone, and not being assertive on their blue line... ehh, a little too soft for what we needed to supplement our core.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
5) talbot for picks-lucky the picks were low enough it did not matter

so some of us are doing back flips for those deals?

I wasn't arguing that at all...I was just saying let's not worry about what would have been if we hadn't won the lottery. We did...and the resultant changes happened. Personally...I don't give a damn about that alternate reality you were inquiring about. It don't exist ;)

This second tier fan is embracing it....cause no matter what you think about your 5 points, I am sure you can agree that it sure as hell can't be any darker of a cloud than what Lowe or MacT put over the city and the team. :)

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Found it.

mmajJ7j.png

Nice, I made the face but hadn't done the rest yet. Good enough :sarcasm:

BfSvRxM.jpg

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I was critical of Chia and still think it's far too early to say he did a superb job yet. At the draft I feel the players he selected were great choices and for that, I give him full marks. I didn't like the Griff trade. I liked the Talbot trade. Grybs is up in the air. I didn't like the Gordon for Korpi trade. I think I'd prefer a 4th rounder so we have more salary space knowing that Letestu was coming. Chia deserves full marks for what he accomplished in the open FA market.

So far, he's done more positive things than negative and for that reason, I'm happy about it. Prior to free agency, I wasn't so much. The future holds the answers tho and I hope its brighter than its been for a decade.

Edit: Even when I was critical, I never thought he should be fired. I'm unsure if I've seen a poster stating that. FYI.

Edit #2:

I'd like to credit him for the HC hire and for allowing the HC to choose his own staff!

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to agree....................???

I was critical of Chia and still think it's far too early to say he did a superb job yet. At the draft I feel the players he selected were great choices and for that, I give him full marks. I didn't like the Griff trade. I liked the Talbot trade. Grybs is up in the air. I didn't like the Gordon for Korpi trade. I think I'd prefer a 4th rounder so we have more salary space knowing that Letestu was coming. Chia deserves full marks for what he accomplished in the open FA market.

So far, he's done more positive things than negative and for that reason, I'm happy about it. Prior to free agency, I wasn't so much. The future holds the answers tho and I hope its brighter than its been for a decade.

Edit: Even when I was critical, I never thought he should be fired. I'm unsure if I've seen a poster stating that. FYI.

Edit #2:

I'd like to credit him for the HC hire and for allowing the HC to choose his own staff!

I have to agree..........so far the moves Chia made has been good except the Reinhart trade it's 50/50..........depending on how GR works out.

But I disagree on the lavish praise heaped on Chia for now......it is too early.

I guess it's because of the hate (or dislike for the OBC) that the vocal posters here on HF Boards Oilers.....that are giving Chia all the love!

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I dont know how many of these moves are Chia's to be honest. He just got here. The old boys are around too much for my liking. I was hoping for them to get turfed completely. As long as Lowe is around I will never trust that this is completely Nicholson and Chiarelli's team.

McDavid we were getting anyway.

Reinhart deal screams old school Oilers ego and connections although I liked the deal better than drafting prospects at this point.

Theyve been targeting Cam Talbot forever.

Sekera and McLellan only come here with McDavid mania happening.

I appreciate luck, that golden ticket, more than anything. Thats whats really got things moving.

I like the Gordon deal. Paying your 4C 3 million is stupid and hes a play not to lose guy as opposed to a play to win guy. Hopefully Korpikoski bounces back and can be our 3LW night in, night out.

For Chia, I want to see what he does a year, two years down the road once hes actually had a chance to assess everything. To start seeing if this team can develop its young prospects better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad