Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I'll wait till the on ice results come in. But Chia has given me hope. A much needed change in the front office has been needed for a long time.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Way too early for this thread.

I really wanted the team to acquire Chiarelli, and while (to me) it appears that his moves have been a moxed bag (loved the Talbot and Sekera additions, didn't like the Reinhart/Korpikoski adds), nothing will be proven until the season starts.

I do like the fact that he isn't a loud-mouthed blowhard like his predecessor.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Just to play devils advocate, if MacT was still at the helm, we could have McDavid, Sekera, Talbot and Hamilton, if the reports are true that Boston turned down our better offer becasue Chia is our GM.

4th_Liner

Oct 2, 2005
Just to play devils advocate, if MacT was still at the helm, we could have McDavid, Sekera, Talbot and Hamilton, if the reports are true that Boston turned down our better offer becasue Chia is our GM.
alternate universe aside, i think the league's percetion of the oilers outside of edmonton took a 90 degree change when we made the change at the top.

CanadianDestroyer

Oct 3, 2006
Edmonton

What I heard is the reason Boston turned our offer down is because we didn't want to give up Nurse.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Whenever this many changes are made in a short time there will always be one or more that one does not agree with and this is not the exception. (Still not a fan of the Reinhart move.)

However the fact that he managed to make significant additions and changes to the team without dealing one main core cog speaks wonders of having a real GM. We still have an abundance of forwards who can be used in the next year or two to fill more holes.

This is what has to be looked upon as the biggest change we've seen in many years.

Almost every move done hasn't created any new holes.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
What I heard is the reason Boston turned our offer down is because we didn't want to give up Nurse.

Too many hypothetical's

Does Mact approach Neely, how does he negotiate with him, to many what if's. It's fair to say Neely was sticking it to Chia, but we also don't know the perception Edm has on the league in terms of not having to work hard to acquire talent. I mean Nurse was definitely put in there to say hey screw you. Calgary's offer was worse. If anything it more than anything shows that it was more about sticking it to Chia that getting a reasonable decent offer from another team - which is more baffling.

If there was an actual sale and of course there would be more teams than Calgary/Edmonton and Calgary ended up with the better offer ok you got the deal you wanted by leveraging.

However, when I first heard that the trade had went down, and didn't know the details I thought jeez some big names had to be involved from both sides.

This was exactly a K-lowe move made by Neely/Sweeney not getting the best return while sticking it to the team. It's entirely possible edmonton could have won the trade, but i think it would have also been more about Boston getting a better deal, just an irrational, stupid ploy to show the world they run a team like a couple of disgruntled people.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I'd like to point out Chia isn't a god. He had the fact that Katz finally made changes in the front office and winning the lottery as two very good reasons to help him attract free agents. Part of the reason we couldn't before was because there was 0 reasons for players to sign here.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
That makes no sense. Flames didn't give up any player and we had better draft picks.
alternate universe aside, i think the league's percetion of the oilers outside of edmonton took a 90 degree change when we made the change at the top.

Yup, 100%.

Edit, shouldn't that be 180 degree?

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
I think the big difference to me about all the changes is I do have faith in Chia, because his actions at the least has earned my faith. i certainly can't say that before he came, we all were told that, but it never was earned.

Actions always tell you the truth. Good or bad, no matter how bad some people here have been thinking and saying, at least there have been clear actions, and I have the faith to give it the time to prove they were good actions not bad.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Very happy with what chia did. 100% without a doubt our team is better today than a week ago. Is it perfect, f**k no. Is he happy, f**k no. I don't care what he's said to the media, cause honestly he doesn't let the whole world know his every move and I love that. Really tho, did we expect to turn this absolute disaster of a train wreck to turn around in a week????? No, and if you did you're delusional. I've never had this much excitement after one week of draft/free agency. This team however has made HUGE improvements and I'll wait and judge his supposed "horrible" moves once i see them play. He knows what he's doing. Anyways, Im drunk......

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
I do appreciate what Chia has done.

I do believe that the appreciation should also be extended to Mr. Nicholson for convincing Katz that this organization was run like a circus sideshow. I also believe that Nicholson told Mr. Katz on the lottery draft date that unless he wanted to be the owner of the team that mismanaged/coached the most prolific phenom since Crosby he had to say goodbye to the OBC.

As a result we have a person who runs all aspects of hockey ops that isn't named Lowe, we have a new GM, new coach, new assistant coaches, new scouting staff and a new philosophy on how an NHL organization should be run. Since the lottery draft this team has actually demonstrated that they can carry themselves in a professional manner with no ties to the OBC or given friends positions in the organization that they clearly had no right to be in.

Listening to the comments of our newest free agents I have to believe they agree that there has been a massive change in how this organization runs hockey operations.

Chia has taken the new mandate and run with it. Made some great moves. Thank you sir.

Captain Pilsner

Sep 1, 2005
15a78dCc2ESIw.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHA..... a picture can say so much without saying anything at all

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

More likely Mact would have gotten Mcdavid, traded the 16th pick for Talbot, and signed Franson and Belesky for 5+ million each.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Its amazing how much the Sekara/Letestu signings changed things. I was getting very worried.

He has managed to improve our team slightly from where it was pre Eakins/Mac T, plus McDavid, plus keeping almost all our good players/prospects.

Have a buddy who is Bruins fan. Despite a few questionable moves in bean town he truly believes Cherelli is a good GM and calls him the mad genius. Seeing that forsure with how it is gone so far.

While he is not perfect I cant help but feel we are in good hands. His experience is so refreshing compared to holding your breath like I always did with Mac T at the helm.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Sense or not, that's what's been said.
Well, that still sounds like they didnt want to deal with us becasue of Chia. Why would a team take a worse return package unless they were mad at the GM. As stupid and petty as that sounds, they wouldnt take a worse package elsewhere just becasue we wouldnt overpay. It was probably becasue Chia wouldnt overpay.

Channeling your inner Jason Kidd?

More likely Mact would have gotten Mcdavid, traded the 16th pick for Talbot, and signed Franson and Belesky for 5+ million each.

Doubtful. MacT never traded more than a 3rd rounder for a goalie and wouldnt be looking for UFA forwards.

Hey, I'm happy, but I think Chia is reaping the credit of a.) the McDavid luck-out and b.) the culture change. And just the fact that he was from Boston might have cost us the chance of getting Hamilton, instead of our provincial rivals.

But then again, playing angles advocate to my previous devils advocate comments, maybe the 1st overall wouldnt have been enough without the culture change. Perception is reality, and the perception of the bumbling fools at the top winning yet another lottery and going 4th times a charm might have turned people off coming to the team.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I had a nightmare one night since the draft....

MacT was not actually "fired" and was on the draft stage right next to the prize for his ineptitude because....gasp....he is merely being prepped to be given a winning team and re-establish the old boys club once he is shown how to be a GM and have the heavy lifting done for him.
giphy.gif

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd like to point out Chia isn't a god. He had the fact that Katz finally made changes in the front office and winning the lottery as two very good reasons to help him attract free agents. Part of the reason we couldn't before was because there was 0 reasons for players to sign here.

that's why for years I hated how everyone said no one signs here because it's a bad city. Now that there is some positive vibes around the team and good chance at winning games, all of a sudden we are a place a lot of players want to go to. Go figure.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
that's why for years I hated how everyone said no one signs here because it's a bad city. Now that there is some positive vibes around the team and good chance at winning games, all of a sudden we are a place a lot of players want to go to. Go figure.

Yeah, all it takes is a first overall pick lottery win when a generational player is available...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad