Chia appreciation thread.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Yup Strome was a solid signing. That is four in a row. Benning/Rieder/Brodziak/Strome
I wouldn't be surprised if Gravel surprises some people as well this year. We'll see what happens.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Chiarelli woke up this morning and successfully tied his shoes. Big things coming

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Chiarelli woke up this morning and successfully tied his shoes. Big things coming

Sounds encouraging, but upon closer inspection....

IMG_6979.jpg

Klefbom for Hagelin deal incomming

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And lots of other GMs made dubious signings. Sometimes only doing small things are praiseworthy.
It doesn't matter a single bit if other GMs are dumb, because we're not fans of those teams. It matters what this GM does to this team. If Vancouver paid a bunch of goons too much money and for too long, then good for them. That doesn't make our salary cap situation any better.

He did small things because that's all he could do. That's the point. He painted himself into a corner and is left with precious few options, on a team that needs upgrades in a lot of places.

He's being praised because he didn't make the mess he made any bigger.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Kidding aside, Rieder is a praise worthy signing, I can not deny that. He actually might be one of the best value/ under the radar signings next year. But cant just simply say this one positive move cancels out a negative move. The good signings are for bottom 6 players who typically are 1 or 2 year fixes. Kassian was a great acquisition in 2016/17, then went back to being a replacement level player the year after. Chiarelli does have the ability to continually bring in bottom 6 players on a rotating basis (typically to slight overpays each time). But in a perfect world he finds/develops/trades for bottom 6ers that will be effective for 3 or more years here, not a yearly thing

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
But in a perfect world he finds/develops/trades for bottom 6ers that will be effective for 3 or more years here, not a yearly thing

With the Strome trade the Oilers have a 3C on a reasonable deal and still on the team while an RFA when his contract expires.

Chia is putting a lot on development, but that's how teams get good. If Yamamoto or Puljujarvi can produce in a top six role this team looks good in a hurry.

I do agree that Rieder was a solid signing. Brodziak is fine as the 4C.

If nobody develops and guys like Klefa and Larsson struggle again Chia is hooped.

If players develop and some guys rebound this is a team that can do some damage in the playoffs again.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
With the Strome trade the Oilers have a 3C on a reasonable deal and still on the team while an RFA when his contract expires.

Chia is putting a lot on development, but that's how teams get good. If Yamamoto or Puljujarvi can produce in a top six role this team looks good in a hurry.

I do agree that Rieder was a solid signing. Brodziak is fine as the 4C.

If nobody develops and guys like Klefa and Larsson struggle again Chia is hooped.

If players develop and some guys rebound this is a team that can do some damage in the playoffs again.

This sounds like MacT/Tambo and the 2009-2015 Oilers redux

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I dunno if that scans either considering he overpaid Cagguila, Benning and arguably Brodziak, he's overpaying an untested back up.
He overpaid Brodziak? Brodziak scored 33 points last season. He's a boon for our special teams. That was an outstanding signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad