Chia appreciation thread.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Why post this in the Chia appreciation thread?

#fireChia is the place to slag on Chia. Perhaps if you outlined the good things Chia has done that could be the starting point of a conversation.
If the only posts in this thread were talking about the good things Chia has done it wouldn't be a very long thread. It speaks volumes when the only praise people can muster is that he dropped an F bomb on live TV.

Reactions: McBaevid

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
If by "stats" you mean "on ice results" then yes, yes i do.

yet another leap of logic. good stats don't necessarily mean you are a net positive for the overall team. you choose to skip over a variety of factors that can determine a players impact on the team and ultimately if they TEAM is successful. or also potentially where the rest of the team may suffer or are pulled down to allow one player to have "good stats" and fool people.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If the only posts in this thread were talking about the good things Chia has done it wouldn't be a very long thread. It speaks volumes when the only praise people can muster is that he dropped an F bomb on live TV.

Then let it be a shorter thread. You don't like him. We get it.

You haven't spoken to "one person" outside HFOil who isn't angry with Chiarelli. That's as scientific as you get.

You have the #firechia and rate chia on a scale of 1 to 10 threads with the negative crap. Can you just show a little respect for people who don't the all negative all the time reaction to Chiarelli?

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
So if the Oilers make the playoffs next season is Chia still the worst of all time? 2/4 seasons in the post season after 10 out.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
yet another leap of logic. good stats don't necessarily mean you are a net positive for the overall team. you choose to skip over a variety of factors that can determine a players impact on the team and ultimately if they TEAM is successful. or also potentially where the rest of the team may suffer or are pulled down to allow one player to have "good stats" and fool people.

And how, pray tell, do you measure these factors?

I've explained this before, but you seem unable to grasp it: all the factors you talk about and prize so highly are inputs. Stats measure outputs (eg shots, scoring chances, goals). And it's those outputs that are a measure of a team's success.

Honestly, I can't imagine thought process that would have a person look at team that was horrible across the board save for one player who consistently stood head and shoulders above his teammates in terms of those outputs/on-ice results and determine that player was the problem or somehow a negative factor. Maybe the issue is with my assuming there's an actual thought process involved at all.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
A simple "I don't know" would've sufficed.

This is a praise thread, is it not?

I'm genuinely curious what he's done that's been praiseworthy.

The pathetic list of praise as follows:

got them into playoffs (no mention of how they were immediately booted)

"nhl calibre defense" (no mention of paying Russell and sekera 10 million)

Got cam talbot (ignored backup postuon for 3 years until talbot burned out

Made team bigger... (urrr uh? Okay he made the team bigger)

Fixed the drafting (trades 2 picks for griffin Reinhart....pro scouts think Strome is fair value for Eberle)

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
There are some good things Chia has done to this team, I’ll admit that.

But he’s done way too many bad things to override any positives he’s done.

And just because he’s better than OBC, an already tremendously low bar, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be fired for better management.

Exactly. It's like if we waived Zach stortini and started a Tony Peterson thank you thread.

Congrats you didn't wet your bed last night Chia. Have a gold star.

Reactions: Supermassive

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Congrats you didn't wet your bed last night Chia. Have a gold star.

You have the #firechia and rate chia on a scale of 1 to 10 threads with the negative crap. Can you just show a little respect for people who don't the all negative all the time reaction to Chiarelli?

Reactions: LTIR

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

If that doesn't make you love the guy then nothing will. :D

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

This pretty much sums our situation up. Toronto is going for it by signing one of the biggest UFAs in NHL history with Matthews on his ELC and Chia downgraded the team on McDavid's final year. We're now in cap hell and relying on prospects and AHL players to fill the right side after missing the playoffs in 2 out of McDavid's first 3 seasons.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
And how, pray tell, do you measure these factors?

I've explained this before, but you seem unable to grasp it: all the factors you talk about and prize so highly are inputs. Stats measure outputs (eg shots, scoring chances, goals). And it's those outputs that are a measure of a team's success.

Honestly, I can't imagine thought process that would have a person look at team that was horrible across the board save for one player who consistently stood head and shoulders above his teammates in terms of those outputs/on-ice results and determine that player was the problem or somehow a negative factor. Maybe the issue is with my assuming there's an actual thought process involved at all.

dude, not everything has to be quantifiable by your standards to be a factor.

no you do not seem to be able to grasp that the "outputs" you talk about (stats and advanced stats) do not always correlate to TEAM results. as i've said before, if that was the case it would be extremely easy to draft a player out of jrs based on "outputs" and stats. Hall would have been a shoe-in for the olympics. There would have been a huge line up by NHL teams for his services in 2016 june. ference etc would not have been alluding to hall being the main reason for the oilers woes while he was here. etc etc etc.

Your problem is you try to simplify everything to stats. Normally that likely means you do not have a good grasp of the game.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

This pretty much sums our situation up. Toronto is going for it by signing one of the biggest UFAs in NHL history with Matthews on his ELC and Chia downgraded the team on McDavid's final year. We're now in cap hell and relying on prospects and AHL players to fill the right side after missing the playoffs in 2 out of McDavid's first 3 seasons.

This sums up how desperate people are to exaggerate to paint Chiarelli in a certain way.

2.5 is right on par with the goalie signings today.

Every team relys on or wishes they could rely on high draft picks like Puliarvi. All teams rely on prospects and ahl guys to round out thier roster. Pointing out how weak they are on the wing without mentioning how amazingly strong we are in the far more important and difficult to attain center position is misleading.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
dude, not everything has to be quantifiable by your standards to be a factor.

If it's a factor, it shows up in the results.

no you do not seem to be able to grasp that the "outputs" you talk about (stats and advanced stats) do not always correlate to TEAM results.

Yeah because an individual player can only influence team results so much: see McDavid, Connor.

i've said before, if that was the case it would be extremely easy to draft a player out of jrs based on "outputs" and stats.

Yes, and more teams should do that instead of giving excess weight to other b.s.

Hall would have been a shoe-in for the olympics. There would have been a huge line up by NHL teams for his services in 2016 june. ference etc would not have been alluding to hall being the main reason for the oilers woes while he was here. etc etc etc.

Your problem is you try to simplify everything to stats. Normally that likely means you do not have a good grasp of the game.

Your problem is you assume hockey men know what they are doing and work back from there. I entertain no such delusions.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
2.5 for unproven unknown versus 3+ for proven I personally wouldn't want on my team and has zero chance of becoming a legit #1 goalie.

I understand it's extremely unlikely K will turn into a starter but it is more likely than a guy proven unable to do it.

Reactions: McJazz

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
This sums up how desperate people are to exaggerate to paint Chiarelli in a certain way.

2.5 is right on par with the goalie signings today.

Every team relys on or wishes they could rely on high draft picks like Puliarvi. All teams rely on prospects and ahl guys to round out thier roster. Pointing out how weak they are on the wing without mentioning how amazingly strong we are in the far more important and difficult to attain center position is misleading.
Khudobin is a proven NHL backup who could even be a 1B and he signed for the same amount. Koskinen's KHL numbers were not very good and it's likely that he won't even be good enough to be a backup.

We had the lowest scoring wingers in the league last season. If it's so easy to attain good wingers you'd think Chia would have done so.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So between the assistant coaches change and signings of Brodziak and Rieder has Chia done all he could to fix the PK issue?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
If it's a factor, it shows up in the results.

Yeah because an individual player can only influence team results so much: see McDavid, Connor.

Yes, and more teams should do that instead of giving excess weight to other b.s.

Your problem is you assume hockey men know what they are doing and work back from there. I entertain no such delusions.

it can show up as results.... team results. yes an individual player can absolutely disrupt things and lead to less overall buy in by the team and disruption of team chemistry.

your problem is you think you know better than these hockey men. Some nobody on hf boards who's never played and has extremely little depth of real knowledge of the game who just likes to b**** and complain. i can't even begin to imagine what a complete sh** show it would be here if they allowed people like you to try and manage this team. It's be 100x worse than the dark decade we had.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Khudobin is a proven NHL backup who could even be a 1B and he signed for the same amount. Koskinen's KHL numbers were not very good and it's likely that he won't even be good enough to be a backup.

We had the lowest scoring wingers in the league last season. If it's so easy to attain good wingers you'd think Chia would have done so.

With the cap space available he did just that. I personally do not like dobin and prefer gambling for better myself.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I hate Chia and I think he's one of the 3 worst GM's in the league, but his signings today were good and I'm pleasantly surprised. It seems he can make good frugal signings, when he has no option, but to do just that.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
2.5 for unproven unknown versus 3+ for proven I personally wouldn't want on my team and has zero chance of becoming a legit #1 goalie.

I understand it's extremely unlikely K will turn into a starter but it is more likely than a guy proven unable to do it.
This. Koskinen’s deal may be a bit steep, but the upside is so much bigger with him than your regular backup signing. Most likely he is a decent backup, but the probability of a Tim Thomas-like outcome is certainly bigger with Koskinen than guys like Johnson, Khubodin or Bernier, if yet not big.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
it can show up as results.... team results. yes an individual player can absolutely disrupt things and lead to less overall buy in by the team and disruption of team chemistry.

Yeah nothing to do with the fact that the rest of the roster was barely AHL-calibre.

your problem is you think you know better than these hockey men. Some nobody on hf boards who's never played and has extremely little depth of real knowledge of the game who just likes to b**** and complain. i can't even begin to imagine what a complete sh** show it would be here if they allowed people like you to try and manage this team. It's be 100x worse than the dark decade we had.

Where's your hockeyDB page exactly? You're just some joker who played Midget AA and thinks he knows anything about anything.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah nothing to do with the fact that the rest of the roster was barely AHL-calibre.

You have the #firechia and rate chia on a scale of 1 to 10 threads to fill with the negative crap. Can you just show a little respect for people who don't shate the all negative all the time reaction to Chiarelli?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I hate Chia and I think he's one of the 3 worst GM's in the league, but his signings today were good and I'm pleasantly surprised. It seems he can make good frugal signings, when he has no option, but to do just that.

Agreed. Signings today were good. But if he didn't screw the cap situation so bad he wouldn't have to be so sensible today. I'm still not satisfied with the roster but he made the best of a bad situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad