Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VAN] Jason Dickinson and 2024 2nd round pick for Riley Stillman

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I just dont get where he fits even if he’s any good.
They hsve Hughes, OEL, Rathbone and Dermott as left shot D. We desperately need decent right shot guys.

It’s a reflection of the team’s lack of belief that Dermott will recover from his concussion quickly. Also allows them to play OEL or Hughes on the right side if needed. Essentially he becomes the 6th-7th D now and when Myers returns then they figure who’s played the best between him, Rathbone, and Burroughs. Basically it just increases their flexibility.

He’s not a good target but was probably the cost of only giving up one 2nd.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Chicago setting themselves up nicely.

Liquidating Toews, Kane, Domi and AA at the deadline should bring in quite the haul.

If they can win Bedard...it can be a quick turn around.

I think this off-season a Seth Jones trade is going to be more seriously considered.

Even if Chicago wins Bedard I feel like they are extremely far away from a quick turnaround. With a lack of high end prospects or young impact players I see Chicago in the bottom of the league for at least 3 seasons. The Kane trade will help, but rental returns are almost always disappointing

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Rebuilding Hawks gets a 2nd, Canucks get defensive depth and a bit more flexibility to try and get Horvat resigned and possibly Kuzmenko resigned next year, assuming he does well.

People are upset that the Nucks moved yet another 2nd, but when the Canucks resigned Miller, they committed to trying to win now. Can't waste that much cap on useless player like Dickonson if you're trying to win now.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Chicago after unloading Toews and Kane will need to hit the ceiling next year, so they'll end up being a cap dumping ground for 1-2 more years (while getting paid 2nds to do so). They currently project to have zero players coming off ELCs that need to be extended within 3 years. Closest is Reichel who is in 2 years.

They have a long road ahead of them.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Chicago after unloading Toews and Kane will need to hit the ceiling next year, so they'll end up being a cap dumping ground for 1-2 more years (while getting paid 2nds to do so). They currently project to have zero players coming off ELCs that need to be extended within 3 years. Closest is Reichel who is in 2 years.

They have a long road ahead of them.
If we are going to do this right, I hope that we do.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So evidently he hurt his hand last year. Played through the pain while Canuck trainers “treated it”.
At years end HE had it X-rayed and learned it was broken.
All healed now.
As someone that broke their hand recently enough, yeah, I can see how that would mess up his offense, stick work and coordination.

But his decision making and positional play wasn't good either.

Either way, my sentiment remains the same, I hope he keeps it up, especially of his injury was the sole cause of his play on Vancouver.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
As someone that broke their hand recently enough, yeah, I can see how that would mess up his offense, stick work and coordination.

But his decision making and positional play wasn't good either.

Either way, my sentiment remains the same, I hope he keeps it up, especially of his injury was the sole cause of his play on Vancouver.
The truth is (most Hawk fans will disagree with me) I think this trade is a win - win.
I grew up in Chicago but live in Florida pretty much between Sunrise and Tampa. I attend several games a year at each place.
I’m a Stillman fan from when he was a Panther.
Dmen take time. Big Dmen take longer.
Stillman is just hitting the age where young big Dmen become regulars yet he played a lot of 2nd pair minutes last year.
I think 2 yrs from now he ends up a very good 2nd pairing guy able to cover for a more offensive partner.
You will be happy with the deal no matter how Dickinson turns out.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The truth is (most Hawk fans will disagree with me) I think this trade is a win - win.
I grew up in Chicago but live in Florida pretty much between Sunrise and Tampa. I attend several games a year at each place.
I’m a Stillman fan from when he was a Panther.
Dmen take time. Big Dmen take longer.
Stillman is just hitting the age where young big Dmen become regulars yet he played a lot of 2nd pair minutes last year.
I think 2 yrs from now he ends up a very good 2nd pairing guy able to cover for a more offensive partner.
You will be happy with the deal no matter how Dickinson turns out.
Oh, I'm not lamenting the trade at all. It cost a lot to pull off, but we payed a 3rd for Dermott and somehow got a 3rd for Hamonic last year. A second for a youngish physical, defensively minded D isn't.....well it's not miles out of line from that valuation.

And Dickinson was not a good fit here, injury or no, and his missing cap hit has been put to good use.

I don't have super high hopes for Stillman becoming a star D, but he still could be a useful, bottom or middle pairing physical D, akin to Schenn for us. It was an expensive add, but Stillman (replacing Dermott at almost the same cap hit) and 1.3 million of cap space still has some potential upside for us.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Off to a good start in Chicago it seems. Guess it was just a bad fit in Vancouver

I very seriously doubt he sustains a 1.5PPG rate through the season. :laugh: But yeah. I'm not even one tiny bit shocked that he might immediately be turning back into a viable asset that could potentially even be flipped for a pick or something at the deadline.

It was a desperate, short-sighted cap fix...where they moved the potentially useful player in Dickinson, because they couldn't afford to move the useless lump in Poolman to resolve their cap crunch by season opening.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Maybe, but Adam Gaudette also got off to a reasonably good start in Chicago as well and look how that panned out.

Gaudette was a complete "tweener" though, who got his stats briefly boosted playing with offensive skill. He was terrible defensively, couldn't really be relied on at Center but never looked comfortable on the Wing. And didn't actually have a lot of offensive skill to show off either.

Dickinson seems to be playing...an appropriate depth role for his skillset where he's established a track record in Dallas of playing well. And so far, doing alright with it. Kinda different situations. But obviously a miniscule sample size.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Gaudette was a complete "tweener" though, who got his stats briefly boosted playing with offensive skill. He was terrible defensively, couldn't really be relied on at Center but never looked comfortable on the Wing. And didn't actually have a lot of offensive skill to show off either.

Dickinson seems to be playing...an appropriate depth role for his skillset where he's established a track record in Dallas of playing well. And so far, doing alright with it. Kinda different situations. But obviously a miniscule sample size.
Fair enough - just makes one wonder as to why he couldn't play like this in Vancouver (although like you said, it's a small sample size as of this writing). Dickinson had both Green and Boudreau to play under as well.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad