Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If anything this should be a huge point in the favour of whoever made the call to draft Forsling. (Gradin?). Turning a fifth rounder into a good asset so quickly does say to how good of a pick it was.

Still will have to see Clendenning more to get a read on him. His AHL stats, at the very least, are encouraging.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Makes perfect sense actually. Clendening is basically just a bigger version of Forsling that's more ahead in his development. He was a high scorer in both the NCAA and AHL.

Forsling, as nice of a prospect he is, is still a longshot to make the NHL and was a project. Plus, with McNally and Subban in the system, he's really redundant.

My thoughts exactly... plus we need help NOW.

Would think Weber is on the outs soon and that we'll see Clendening up here ASAP. Here's hoping we see some forward changes to this group ASAP as well. Benning (as per 1040 interview today) had a talk with Kassian today. Have to think that if he doesn't respond to Benning, he's gone at the trade deadline.

Love Benning making some moves and getting involved, this D move seems like a good one to me.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Benning was quoted as saying that he would look at trades where we would acquire a player further ahead in development. Clendening is just that. Forsling will be a while before he starts making a push for the NHL, IMO.

I can get behind that, but I wonder when Clendening fits in right now? Is he a big club acquisition? If so, I hope it doesn't mean Corrado is headed back to Utica right when it looked like he was finally going to get a chance.

And if it's for Utica, the question for me is when does he become waiver eligible? I'm gathering soon, seeing as Chicago was in the situation of use, move or lose him...

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Can't remember who but somebody was talking up Clendening in previous armchair gm threads. A young right side pmd is something the Canucks really needed. Would of rather of moved a comparable winger prospect but this could be interesting.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Clendening's ice time this season:

Nov 20 @ Calgary - 10:41
Nov 22 @ Edmonton - 19:30
Nov 23 @ Vancouver - 14:10
Nov 26 @ Colorado - 8:20

Those times don't look to me like an NHL ready D-man.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I can get behind that, but I wonder when Clendening fits in right now? Is he a big club acquisition? If so, I hope it doesn't mean Corrado is headed back to Utica right when it looked like he was finally going to get a chance.

And if it's for Utica, the question for me is when does he become waiver eligible? I'm gathering soon, seeing as Chicago was in the situation of use, move or lose him...

I don't think Corrado will be touched by this trade. Benning said he's a fairly safe bet to stick with the team, IIRC. I think one of Weber, Sbisa, or Stanton are gone. More likely Sbisa because of his upcoming QO.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
Benning is the man.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567754
ADAM CLENDENING, D, Boston University

NHL Central Scouting: “Clendening (jumps) out at you playing on the power play with his high level of finesse and skill. He is an excellent skater and hard to pin down when forechecking. He has a very good shot from the point. He is also very adequate in his own zone.”

Red Line Report: “Plays with an abundance of confidence, using his superb stickhandling and passing to start the transition game. Offensively very smart and gifted—has a great snap shot and deft passing skills. One of the best power play quarterbacks in the entire draft. His vision from the point is great, and he uses a low shot/slap pass for tips while patiently walking the blue line laterally to create lanes. Defensively he was a mess most of the year. Rampant turnovers and a lack of defensive zone awareness are problems—he is way too casual in his puckhandling around the net and allows opposing forwards to camp out around the crease. Does play with a bit of whippy, hard edge, though, and is nasty with the stick.”

Hockeysfuture.com: “Clendening is an offensive defenseman blessed with superb puck-moving ability and on-ice vision. His excellent puck skills are one reason why many scouts are so high on Clendening. He can see plays develop and follows them quite well. He can also be found frequently jumping into plays too. Clendening’s ability to move the puck and patience with it makes him an ideal quarterback on the power play. He makes very good decisions with the puck and distributes the puck very well. Clendening can also control the tempo of the game from the blue line. He is an excellent skater with good speed that can keep up with many of the faster opposing forwards. He also transitions quite well too. One area where Clendening will need to improve is keeping his feet moving more consistently. While he is known for his offensive prowess, Clendening is also solid defensively. He doesn’t shy away from the physical side of the game and plays with a good deal of intensity. However, Clendening could stand to utilize his intensity and grit more to the benefit of his team. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net. As his rookie season at Boston University went along, one area that Clendening showed noticeable improvement in was the quality of shots he was taking."

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Excellent deal for Vancouver here. Forsling is really overrated on my opinion.. I watched the majority of SWE games at WJC, and while Forsling was a major factor on the PP due to him being the shot threat on the point, he wasn't that dynamic creating offense through the neutral zone and off the rush which is what separates the good PMD from the rest of the pack.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Clendening's ice time this season:

Nov 20 @ Calgary - 10:41
Nov 22 @ Edmonton - 19:30
Nov 23 @ Vancouver - 14:10
Nov 26 @ Colorado - 8:20

Those times don't look to me like an NHL ready D-man.

He was also in the Hawks system.

Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson
Oduya
Roszival

and then Van Riemsdyk (who was playing well until he was hurt), Rundblad, Erixon. Not saying him not being in the NHL is okay or anything either.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He's in the third year of his pro career and he's at the very least shown that he can dominate offensively with a 46 point rookie season and 59 point sophomore season. I can't think of the last D prospect we've had that put up a solid offensive season.

Might be interesting if we sold high on Forsling, and it was a few years before he would have an impact, but I guess we'll see what happens over the next few years then.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Hockey's future analysis.

"Clendening is an offensive defenseman blessed with superb puck-moving ability and on-ice vision. His excellent puck skills are one reason why many scouts are so high on Clendening. He can see plays develop and follows them quite well. He can also be found frequently jumping into plays too. Clendening's ability to move the puck and patience with it makes him an ideal quarterback on the power play. He makes very good decisions with the puck and distributes the puck very well. Clendening can also control the tempo of the game from the blue line. He is an excellent skater with good speed that can keep up with many of the faster opposing forwards. He also transitions quite well too. One area where Clendening will need to improve is keeping his feet moving more consistently. While he is known for his offensive prowess, Clendening is also solid defensively. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game and plays with a good deal of intensity. However, Clendening could stand to utilize his intensity and grit more to the benefit of his team. He possesses a very good shot and can get pucks to the net by taking quality chances."

Personally I think Benning just wanted to get a young Dman that was what we are looking for a quarterback, puck moving Dman but sooner. So he moved Forsling in exchange. I think we will see Clendening coming up next season. He is a AHL player so we can freely move him or maybe Benning wants to see him play a bit.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Stanton - Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad