Confirmed Trade: [CHI/TBL] Tyler Johnson and 2023 2nd round pick for Brent Seabrook

Wester

Oct 5, 2020
Hungary
LTIR doesn't really matter in this situation. It's basically just who pays Seabrook's money.

Per RawCharge:

"Using CapFriendly.com and their current Lightning roster, prior to moving Tyler Johnson, the Lightning had roughly $750,000 in cap space. If the Lightning had just moved Tyler Johnson, they would have $5,750,000 in cap space to add to the roster. With Seabrook, the Lightning are $1,120,122 over the cap. With Seabrook, the Lightning can add up to $5,750,000 in cap hits to the books without going over the cap. The mechanics of the situation are a little different because of using LTIR, but the end result is almost the same. The Lightning will have to do some Opening Night juggling to make the most of LTIR, but they can do that."

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
In a cap jam? Have no fear, call Mr. Bowman right away. He will take all your cap dumps for free!

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
NHL got a serious Salary Cap problem. Dead-cap being traded around like halloween candy

*Laffs in Leafs LTIR f***ery

Mate, Leafs management has been doing this for a decade or so now, this is nothing new. I mean, we created an island in the North Atlantic just for the contracts we didn't want to deal with, and somehow we got away with it.

Robidas (Founder and name sake)
Lupul (The foundations of the island were built on his soul after it was drawn and quartered, and the waters around the island were created with his tears)
Stalock (Robidas island)
Cowen (Robidas island)
JvR (Short stint on the island to remind him even the most minor of injuries will result in a one way ticket)
Clarkson (He drinks martini's, he's a staple at the buffet, Hurley is his idol)
Horton (Stripped of passport and forgotten about)

Probably a couple more I'm forgetting about.

TLDR; The island from Lost is Robidas Island, except there's no secret, hidden or convoluted meaning behind why people are there.

Reactions: George Clooney

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
LTIR doesn't really matter in this situation. It's basically just who pays Seabrook's money.

Per RawCharge:

"Using CapFriendly.com and their current Lightning roster, prior to moving Tyler Johnson, the Lightning had roughly $750,000 in cap space. If the Lightning had just moved Tyler Johnson, they would have $5,750,000 in cap space to add to the roster. With Seabrook, the Lightning are $1,120,122 over the cap. With Seabrook, the Lightning can add up to $5,750,000 in cap hits to the books without going over the cap. The mechanics of the situation are a little different because of using LTIR, but the end result is almost the same. The Lightning will have to do some Opening Night juggling to make the most of LTIR, but they can do that."
Seabrook’s 6.875m cap hit never comes off the books, that’s what sucks about it. You get cap relief for any salary going over the cap limit.

If a team starts the year over the cap they never accrue extra cap space. That extra cap space is very useful as teams need it for TDL deals and covering bonus so they don’t get hit with overages the next season.

I guess don’t have the same, uh, emotional investment in NHL cap and how it works, I find it pretty interesting to watch teams find solutions. I’m not sure why people are shocked the NHL doesn’t f*** their own teams when they are already the only league under a hard cap. I’m not sure why people are shocked GMs don’t actively f*** each other when they have to make deals with other all the time. The all swim in shark infested waters every day, throwing life preservers isn’t a big deal.

Tampa has lost assets and some key role players and they’ll lose more. They were never losing their elite core, at least not immediately (other than I’m guessing they would like to dump Stamkos but he won’t go). Last off-season I said Sergachev and Cernak were likely core untradable players too. That’s not an amazing observation at all, it was blatantly obvious, even before the season Cernak had, because defensive depth was and is a real issue organizationally after Cal Foote and they were spending too much on forwards anyway.

This is a mutually beneficial trade. Dubas traded for Clarkson in the 2019 off-season to get some breathing room for the Marner contract. I don’t remember if people were composing Homeric hymns to his cap skills that off-season, maybe they were.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I kinda wish other sports did it like they do in soccer and have the player hold up the jersey of the time they signed for. Make Seabrook come down to Tampa just to hold up the jersey to make sure he's even still alive.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
What's free? They get a viable player, a 2nd round pick, and dump some serious money to boot.

This was a win-win.
3 yrs of Johnson should get you more than 1 2nd rd pick. He’s just not worth that contract. MAF was 100% free cap dump. Why help these teams with their cap problems without getting something decent in return? I think Bowman is in panic mode.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This is confusing for me. How can they fit Johnson under their cap?

Because this isn't 2010, or 2013? :laugh:

The Hawks had like 15-17m in cap space going into this offseason, IIRC. They haven't been in cap hell for a while now. Just buried in mediocrity/averageness. Imagine it being 2021, and not realizing the Hawks haven't had cap hell for like... 5 years? :laugh:

theimmortal1

Sep 26, 2020
Choose or understand the equivalency? More observant fans would be able to do the conversion between cash/picks to gain a deeper understanding of the marketplace.

It's a useful data point, understanding how a Johnson + to Chicago would have looked if it didn't include Seabrook coming back. Probably like Johnson + 1st.

There is a difference between cap/pick conversion and cash/pick conversion. Seabrook is 0 cap and $15m cash (probably half that post insurance).

cap is extremely valuable. cash is not as valuable, and can vary wildly between teams

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Because this isn't 2010, or 2013? :laugh:

The Hawks had like 15-17m in cap space going into this offseason, IIRC. They haven't been in cap hell for a while now. Just buried in mediocrity/averageness. Imagine it being 2021, and not realizing the Hawks haven't had cap hell for like... 5 years? :laugh:

It’s baffling so many people on here done understand this.

Now, they’ll definitely have some decisions to make next year, but they aren’t in cap hell.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
NHL got a serious Salary Cap problem. Dead-cap being traded around like halloween candy

It's almost like a team should come forward and say "we should maybe look at this potential issue"

Oh wait. A team did do that. It was Tampa. No other franchise supported it. As a result Tampa will play by the rules everyone else wanted to play by...and do it better.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It’s baffling so many people on here done understand this.

Now, they’ll definitely have some decisions to make next year, but they aren’t in cap hell.

Right. And in 2023 I think they have like 15m currently on the books. Haha. They're far from in cap hell. And even if that were true, it would be for a single season.

Reactions: HawksDub89

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
If Chicago wanted to trade Seabrook, and assuming the contract is insured at 80%. I'd estimate the cost for Chicago to get rid of Seabrooks contract would be roughly two 2nd round picks..[/QUOTE
If Chicago wanted to trade Seabrook, and assuming the contract is insured at 80%. I'd estimate the cost for Chicago to get rid of Seabrooks contract would be roughly two 2nd round picks..

thank you. I can’t believe anybody somehow thinks a LTIR is an asset

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Uh oh here comes the wambulance. Not even a tampa fan but i love how they run their team. Too long this old boys club league ran by incompetent jabberonis. Love that there is a Tampa out there. "We can and we will" should be their slogan and not point dexters.

Is that really how jabberoni is spelled?

Funny stuff. Never saw it in writing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad