Confirmed Trade: [CHI/TBL] Tyler Johnson and 2023 2nd round pick for Brent Seabrook

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Honestly I really like the acquisition of TJ for Chicago... he's gotten a bad name on here for being garbage just cause rival fans thought that acquiring him meant it was helping Tampa out.... I've always thought that whoever ends up acquiring him will end up being very happy with his play and also his contract really isn't that bad.
Exactly. I mean look at it this way: what would Tyler Johnson get for a contract if he were a UFA this summer? As a guy who could be a middle six center on most teams and with cup winning pedigree, he’d probably get a deal around 3 x 3 so he’s overpaid by about 2 M per year but CHI gets a second rounder and cash salary relief to make it worthwhile. Not a bad deal for them, really.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
What's free? They get a viable player, a 2nd round pick, and dump some serious money to boot.

This was a win-win.
Seabrook was atleast LTIR and off the cap hit...... Johnson won't be....agree its a win for chicago because they need guys like johnson for depth but that's probably the reason why...

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Seabrook was atleast LTIR and off the cap hit...... Johnson won't be....agree its a win for chicago because they need guys like johnson for depth but that's probably the reason why...

It was a brilliant move by both teams. Johnson is a big upgrade over pius suter in many aspects .
I do believe the change of scenery for Johnson and more responsibilities we will probably see a increase in his points.

If toews can come back healthy enough to make it through a full season plus the p.ayoffs and find that missing spark chicago with its recent moves can be the sleeper team nobody expected.

Reactions: Crow

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It was a brilliant move by both teams. Johnson is a big upgrade over pius suter in many aspects .
I do believe the change of scenery for Johnson and more responsibilities we will probably see a increase in his points.

If toews can come back healthy enough to make it through a full season plus the p.ayoffs and find that missing spark chicago with its recent moves can be the sleeper team nobody expected.

I will like Johnson trade, because he is still a good player, but this is fake news.
Pius Suter was really good last season and it wasn't just his goals and points. plus, Suter is only 25.
Suter > Johnson

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that Tyler Johnson is a very good hockey player and forward center, maybe even a 2c playing for a suitable team like Chicago Blackhawks, so I think that Chicago Blackhawks will be much more happier playing Tyler Johnson than the Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts are going to be playing Brent Seabrook. So who will get the third lord of Stanley Cup? I still think that it will be the Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts :)

Reactions: shadow1

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I will like Johnson trade, because he is still a good player, but this is fake news.
Pius Suter was really good last season and it wasn't just his goals and points. plus, Suter is only 25.
Suter > Johnson

Any honest hockey analyst have all said the same thing pius is ok however Johnson is a upgrade over him . There's nothing fake about a player whomm8s proven can slot in anywhere within the line up and hold his own , his fo % is very good, he plays a solid 2 way hockey plus he understands what it takes to win a cup he has been to 3 finals and has 2 rings and was a clutch player, he is good for 20 plus goals a season .

Sorry pius might be 25 a d had a ok season but his numbers and performance doesn't scream sign me up.

Johnson right now is the insurance in case toews doesn't make it back or can't go every game .
Toews since signing his massive contract has had in the 6 years so far on a 8 year contract 1 season of solid performance 4 were below avg and 1 he didn't even play.

Toews scores on avg 20 plus goals , Johnson scores 20 plus goals we can debate things until we're blue in the face however both players imo balance out in terms of production.

And it was Hossa who made toews look like a better player. That much is obvious since Hossa left and toews production has dropped off.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I think that Tyler Johnson is a very good hockey player and forward center, maybe even a 2c playing for a suitable team like Chicago Blackhawks, so I think that Chicago Blackhawks will be much more happier playing Tyler Johnson than the Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts are going to be playing Brent Seabrook. So who will get the third lord of Stanley Cup? I still think that it will be the Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts :)

Good analysis. While Tampa on paper looks good and did win cups back to back , for some context here last season not only was shorter but started much later in terms of time of generally. That imo greatly benefited Tampa plus with a realignment of the conferences and schedule . It's very hard to win a cup let alone back to back .

I think Tampa will be a surprise this season. But not in a good way , with a full season and travel, plus losing players , Tampa will they be a good team sure but win a cup nope history tells us alot.

Regarding Chicago
Stan went out and made some major positive moves that drastically changed the teams makeup and skill level. I wouldn't be surprised if toews finds his game again and plays a full season with these new additions stan added , Chicago surprising the league and if healthy making a serious run at the cup.

St Louis
Nashville
Minnesota
Dallas have all taken a drop
Colorado and vegas good teams but I dont either team dominate

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Any honest hockey analyst have all said the same thing pius is ok however Johnson is a upgrade over him . There's nothing fake about a player whomm8s proven can slot in anywhere within the line up and hold his own , his fo % is very good, he plays a solid 2 way hockey plus he understands what it takes to win a cup he has been to 3 finals and has 2 rings and was a clutch player, he is good for 20 plus goals a season .

Sorry pius might be 25 a d had a ok season but his numbers and performance doesn't scream sign me up.

Johnson right now is the insurance in case toews doesn't make it back or can't go every game .
Toews since signing his massive contract has had in the 6 years so far on a 8 year contract 1 season of solid performance 4 were below avg and 1 he didn't even play.

Toews scores on avg 20 plus goals , Johnson scores 20 plus goals we can debate things until we're blue in the face however both players imo balance out in terms of production.

And it was Hossa who made toews look like a better player. That much is obvious since Hossa left and toews production has dropped off.
Toews didn't need Hossa in order to be a great player that's foolish but they did complement each other. That's like saying Bergeron wasn't good because he needed Pasta and Marchand. Sure it absolutely helps but doesn't make or break either centre.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Toews didn't need Hossa in order to be a great player that's foolish but they did complement each other. That's like saying Bergeron wasn't good because he needed Pasta and Marchand. Sure it absolutely helps but doesn't make or break either centre.

I get it you admire toews , but what exactly did toews accomplish on his own before Hossa arrived in Chicago? Toews had only been in the league what 2 years ? But who benefitted more toews or Hossa? Using the word compliment is just a catch phrase to avoid some real facts.

Let's not forget organizations and teams always over hype many players beyond there true ceiling.

I know I'm not the only person who thinks this , look at toews once Hossa was no longer playing and his performance, kaners performance only exceeded expectations . Did toews have a few good years absolutely but once that new contract set in his own performance dropped and a year later Hossa was gone and he still had issues .

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Hossa makes anyone look better.
But Toews, before COVID, went 35-46-81.
Career high in goals, assists and points.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I get it you admire toews , but what exactly did toews accomplish on his own before Hossa arrived in Chicago? Toews had only been in the league what 2 years ? But who benefitted more toews or Hossa? Using the word compliment is just a catch phrase to avoid some real facts.

Let's not forget organizations and teams always over hype many players beyond there true ceiling.

I know I'm not the only person who thinks this , look at toews once Hossa was no longer playing and his performance, kaners performance only exceeded expectations . Did toews have a few good years absolutely but once that new contract set in his own performance dropped and a year later Hossa was gone and he still had issues .

Toews was 21 when Hossa got there.
At 20, he went to the conference finals pre-Hossa.
Jesus.
How far has McDavid gotten?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
What's with this Toews/Hossa rhetoric? Thought this thread was for Tyler Johnson, Brent Seabrook, and the Lightnings ability to maneuver around the cap via LTIR.

Fact is, Toews was good without Hossa. Hossa was good without Toews. Neither player needed the other. But they did gel really well together and made for 2/3rds of a really solid line. Thinking about it, I really do miss them together (with a Sharp or Saad to their left); just a dynamite 2-way, puck possession line.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Hossa makes anyone look better.
But Toews, before COVID, went 35-46-81.
Career high in goals, assists and points.

So now your arguing against yourself and affirming my earlier post. Toews is overrated, his numbers and performance after the 14-15 season tailored off that's public knowledge even he himself stated his performance was lacking .

So far in the 5 years of his new contract he had 1 rebound solid year his 6th year he mysteriously got some illness.

Did toews contribute to the Cup runs sure but it was Hossa coming to chicago that made the difference in leadership and his ability to teach the other players .

Bottom line toews was never a 10.5 million dollar player maybe 8 or 8.5 but he hasn't lived up to his new contract by any metrics.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Feel lucky to be a Lightning fan. Feels like whenever I go back and look at these old trade threads I dont feel like I need to cringe when seeing it. Feel like that happens a lot around here for many teams. In fact usually enjoy reading the old takes. Interesting one I read recently was the McDonagh trade thread. Absolute classic imo.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So now your arguing against yourself and affirming my earlier post. Toews is overrated, his numbers and performance after the 14-15 season tailored off that's public knowledge even he himself stated his performance was lacking .

So far in the 5 years of his new contract he had 1 rebound solid year his 6th year he mysteriously got some illness.

Did toews contribute to the Cup runs sure but it was Hossa coming to chicago that made the difference in leadership and his ability to teach the other players .

Bottom line toews was never a 10.5 million dollar player maybe 8 or 8.5 but he hasn't lived up to his new contract by any metrics.

I'm not arguing against myself in any way.
You have an anti-Toews agenda for some reason.

You said he was created by Hossa.
Fact: He'd already been to the conference finals without Hossa at 20 years old. There are great NHL centers all over the NHL who are more highly regarded than Toews and have never been to the conference finals.

You said Toews' production tipped when Hossa left.
FACT: His best production season was Post-Hossa. His 35-46-81 season set in the last full season before COVID represented career highs in goals, assists and points.

SO you've got your facts wrong, Jimmy.
And you're talking to one of Hossa's biggest fans in Michigan. He's the reason rooted for Chicago.

Whether or not Toews was worth $10.5M - that's another story.
I think Chicago was in a tough spot. Toews was the captain of the three-time cup champs. Toews was perhaps the best two-way Center in the league.

THose contracts killed Chicago. But what choice did they have?

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Lol member when we'd have to give up eleventy bajillion draft picks and our best prospects to move Johnson? We sure got bent over a barrel didn't we? Was it the Stanley Cup or something?

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think that was ever actually on the table.

TJ plus a 2nd is about what I expected, and what most reasonable people probably expected.

While his contract isn’t great he’s still a useful player in a top 9 role. TBL found a perfect fit with the Hawks, and a 2nd was fair.

But yeah, a 1st and a good prospect was always an insane pipe dream.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
And if it weren’t the case before, Chicago and Tampa are now probably the most hated teams in the NHL lol. (At least on HF)

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I'm not arguing against myself in any way.
You have an anti-Toews agenda for some reason.

You said he was created by Hossa.
Fact: He'd already been to the conference finals without Hossa at 20 years old. There are great NHL centers all over the NHL who are more highly regarded than Toews and have never been to the conference finals.

You said Toews' production tipped when Hossa left.
FACT: His best production season was Post-Hossa. His 35-46-81 season set in the last full season before COVID represented career highs in goals, assists and points.

SO you've got your facts wrong, Jimmy.
And you're talking to one of Hossa's biggest fans in Michigan. He's the reason rooted for Chicago.

Whether or not Toews was worth $10.5M - that's another story.
I think Chicago was in a tough spot. Toews was the captain of the three-time cup champs. Toews was perhaps the best two-way Center in the league.

THose contracts killed Chicago. But what choice did they have?

He has had since signing his massive 10.5 million contract 1 productive season in 6 years 1 year he hasn't played and the other 4 years his production was well below avg he himself including every hockey analyst have said that his excuse was his off season workout plan. Then it was his linemates ect. The bottom line is at 26 years old when most hockey players are in their prime toews was not getting better but regressing , it's obvious that this all happened when Hossa wasn't playing therefore the obvious conclusion is Hossa made toews look better.

Yes he went to the finals without Hossa once and lost , but bringing Hossa here to chicago clearly made a difference that nobody could appreciate or notice his presence until he was gone.

Toews is supposed to be this special player , however if you step back and look toews isn't as nearly as impressive as they make him out to be.

Look at kane he has never had a legitimate top 6 linemate until after the 3rd cup , and his performance exceeded everyone's expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad