Confirmed Trade: [CHI/TBL] Tyler Johnson and 2023 2nd round pick for Brent Seabrook

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
And I bet you anything Tampa will trade that. I hope it's to Arizona. It's fun watching them collect draft picks. They've already got 5 2nd at the next draft. Tampa could cough up their 2024 2nd so that Arizona would have 3. By the time the draft comes around maybe they could have 7! :)

Shat Lou tried to do is get around the cap exactly as Tampa and other teams are doing.
Doesn’t matter how you do it, everybody know that seabrook Isn’t gonna play same as when the devils traded for savard I think.

To many teams get out of the troubles they have set for themselves so they could compete for a couple a years.

tell me why you should punish one team for creating more cap space but not the other teams????

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Losing 'only' Goodrow, Gourde and Johnson while barely paying for any asset (a 2nd) was the best possible outcome for the TBL. Brisebois is a genius.

When he moved Savard thru a 3rd team to whittle his cap hit down to 1.2 million or whatever it was, I realized then he was a genius especially with the cap.

Cheeky Tampa Bay bringing the lols as usual. I would hate but iirc correctly they were one of only two teams that voted for the loophole to be closed a few years ago. If it's allowed, abuse it. Playing fair is for losers

I'm surprised more contending teams don't do the same. If your owner has the money, why not.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't know if you've noticed but they steadily pump out players for their bottom 6... and the alternative was losing one of their top forwards or defenders. I know which option I'd rather take to stay competitive.

Yea, I'm sure some of their prospects like Raddysh are ready, plus guys like Joseph who didn't have a regular role during the playoffs. Tampa seems to find guys out of nowhere anyways.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Great move by Tampa. Chicago gets deeper too and gains a valuable pick. If there is a problem here its an NHL problem not a Tampa problem. Great on Tampa for putting themselves in a spot to win again....wish we could say the same for some other teams ..:huh:

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
This trade makes sense for both teams. What I dont get though is why a GM would be so willing to bail Tampa out for just a 2nd. Johnson is a solid player, but I'd want more of a sweetener to take that contract. Cap space has become more important than ever.
People always wonder why teams want to "bail out" another, and I still have troubles understand how is this always a question.
The thing isn't about bailing another team out, it's about trying to make their own team better.
Why the Hawks "only" got a second and TyJo? Why weren't they able to squeeze more out of this? Because maybe another GM would have accepted the same offer, or the same offer with a 7th ronder as add in. We don't know, Bowman doesn't either.
It's a poker game, a psychological warfare of bluffs, calls and raises. You never know what your opponent will be willing to take or get.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
As a Hawks fan.... I hope Johnson reverts to his old self .

As for the complaints about LTIR..... Tampa is playing by the rules here. Every team can do the exact same thing they are doing. I seriously don't get the outrage.

He will be worth that contract, just give him minutes

Reactions: MakoSlade

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Lightning only get back Seabrook. He is going on LTIR as he retired due to injuries. Since he is going on LTIR his cap hit will be wiped off. So they Lightning will still pay him his salary, however it won't count towards the cap hit. So Essentially the Bolts just paid a 2nd round pick to get rid of Johnsons cap hit of 5 million.

For cap purposes LTIRetired players don’t exist. Ignore them. They neither help or hurt the cap.

They are traded instead of straight cash. Now Tampa owes Seabrook real $$ (nothing to do with cap) instead of Chicago. Insurance will pay most

Oh OK, that's what I thought. I for some reasons read it as they purged 5 mil in cap space AND freed up an additional 5 mil for a total of 10 mil. Thanks!

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I hope in the next CBA there is a clause rejecting LTiR contracts being traded. So sick of teams being able to worm their way out of bad contracts. One way to stop them from being given out in the first place would be to stop teams from trading them when a player is LTiR'd.

RIP Arizona

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
But hfb told Bolts fans TJ would require a minimum 1st round pick and prospect to unload?

You told Bolts fans it would take a sweetener for Seattle to take one of Palat/Killorn/Gourde??

Sooooo gooood:D

Whiny, bitter and envious haters OWNED AGAIN:laugh:
your a Tampa guy what are their lines next year just curious

Palat - Point - Kucherov (love the line)
Stamkos- Cirelli - Killorn.
Colton ???

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Imagine being dumb enough to be upset at Tampa for this lol.

Also, they’ve lost Gourde, Coleman, Goodrow and TJ. So can we stop pretending they haven’t had any cap casualties?

Reactions: Hoek and MakoSlade

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
We all know what it does, but a 2nd round pick in 2 years and a cap dump is all it costs? Thats the problem

I like this trade from both sides btw
So you're mad that some GMs are better than others? This is a problem? Pretty much proves folks like you are just mad about TB being good on and off the ice.

Or would you prefer robot gms?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
But hfb told Bolts fans TJ would require a minimum 1st round pick and prospect to unload?

You told Bolts fans it would take a sweetener for Seattle to take one of Palat/Killorn/Gourde??

Sooooo gooood:D

Whiny, bitter and envious haters OWNED AGAIN:laugh:

I was happy to see Tampa break through after years of falling short and Stamkos finally get a Cup, but the childish gloating after the repeat has really turned me off. Some of you are the biggest sore winners I've seen in a decade on this site. I personally can't stand the Pens, but their fans didn't act like this. Same goes for Chicago.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hopefully this trade will finally teach people Tampa doesn't need to add 1sts and top prospects/top young players in order to make cap room. Every offseason fans laugh and assume Tampa is screwed yet there is always a team that bails them out and drives rival fans nutty.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'll be actively rooting for Tampa for now on.

The NHL has to fix other GM's being so bad at their job. They need to git gud. It’s embarrassing for the league.

Signed, Blake Coleman's $6 million contract but Tampa is the bad guy

Reactions: Shoresy Snipes

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That's about right, actually.

In that scenario, we'd lose a 1st and Killorn and we'd be rid of Johnson.
In reality, we lost a 2nd and Gourde and we're rid of Johnson. We also took on actual cash cost from the LTIR contract.

Value-wise, those deals are almost identical. And both get us rid of Johnson, while sacrificing one of the other depth forwards who we had to get rid of for cap purposes.

But that's proposal was after you guys lost Gourde.

and if there was no expansion draft I'm sure you could have dealt Gourde/Killorn for pucks/prospects. These guys have value.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I expect Tampa to fill spots mostly with the young guys chomping at the bit for an opportunity but if you are a free agent right now you gotta be looking at the Lightning and thinking how good it would be to sign cheap and take a run at the Cup.

Reactions: Redleg

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Why do people have an issue with LTIR trades like this NOW??? Trades like this have been happening for years but when Tampa does it, it's a huge problem across the league and NHL is bush league??

Cmon guys just stop

Tampa has a brilliant GM that does everything he can within the rules set out by the NHL to win.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I expect Tampa to fill spots mostly with the young guys chomping at the bit for an opportunity but if you are a free agent right now you gotta be looking at the Lightning and thinking how good it would be to sign cheap and take a run at the Cup.

Ya Tampa always have young guys that come out of nowhere that fit into the lineup perfectly... for example, Ross Colten scoring the Cup winning goal. A couple kids will step up once again next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad