Confirmed Trade: [CHI/TBL] Tyler Johnson and 2023 2nd round pick for Brent Seabrook

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
And to think New Jersey got punished for circumvented the cap with that Kovalchuk signing, but other team can get around the cap by doing this and the league closes their eyes.!
Private league with private rules, this is not sport anymore. It’s BS

"Private league with private rules" is the weirdest aspersion I've ever seen thrown at a sport. I mean, like, as opposed to what?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Teams have been paying ~ $4-6M for a 2nd. Tampa had to trade $15M & a 2nd to Chicago to unload Johnson; it's not like they got away with murder.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Teams have been paying ~ $4-6M for a 2nd. Tampa had to trade $15M & a 2nd to Chicago to unload Johnson; it's not like they got away with murder.

Some here were claiming Tampa needed to give up a first to unload Johnson. So to them it was getting away with murder especially since they will use LTIR again.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
People always wonder why teams want to "bail out" another, and I still have troubles understand how is this always a question.
The thing isn't about bailing another team out, it's about trying to make their own team better.
Why the Hawks "only" got a second and TyJo? Why weren't they able to squeeze more out of this? Because maybe another GM would have accepted the same offer, or the same offer with a 7th ronder as add in. We don't know, Bowman doesn't either.
It's a poker game, a psychological warfare of bluffs, calls and raises. You never know what your opponent will be willing to take or get.
The Hawks didn’t “only get a 2nd” they dumped Seabrook’s dead contract. It cost Florida a 2nd to dump Marc Savard’s contract in 2016 and there was only a year left on that, this is a three year deal. I forget the other examples of the costs of these kinds of contacts but I it doesn’t matter, that price would be hypothetical, no one would take this deal. Three years of 6.875m dead cap space, even when it can be LTIR really sucks.

LTIR cap hits don’t go away and if you cap out at the start you don’t do things like accrue cap space during the year. Accruing cap space is how teams afford TDL deals. Tampa can get a TDL pick-up is player is put on the LTIR like Stamkos was but
if they are capped out that’s the only way. (Note: LTIR is complicated and I already regret trying to discuss it since I probably screwing it up too but the “it’s a ton free cap space, they’re soooo lucky/cheating/brilliant” takes are wearing on me.)

Having Seabrook’s deal sitting on their books for three years, or having to pay to dump him later, isn’t exactly the superfun triumph people make it out to be. BriseBois dumped Johnson and can fiddle with his roster to try to maximize the LTIR. Chicago is free of the Seabrook deal that otherwise was unmovable, that was a huge cap dump too.

Reactions: Hoek and Curufinwe

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
That might be true. It's also irrelevant. What fan would choose losing an actual first round pick over the owner having to shell out some extra cash?

Choose or understand the equivalency? More observant fans would be able to do the conversion between cash/picks to gain a deeper understanding of the marketplace.

It's a useful data point, understanding how a Johnson + to Chicago would have looked if it didn't include Seabrook coming back. Probably like Johnson + 1st.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I expect Tampa to fill spots mostly with the young guys chomping at the bit for an opportunity but if you are a free agent right now you gotta be looking at the Lightning and thinking how good it would be to sign cheap and take a run at the Cup.
I’m assuming Tampa is going spend cap on things like a back-up goalie and more NHL defensemen.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Choose or understand the equivalency? More observant fans would be able to do the conversion between cash/picks to gain a deeper understanding of the marketplace.

It's a useful data point, understanding how a Johnson + to Chicago would have looked if it didn't include Seabrook coming back. Probably like Johnson + 1st.
But fans only care about picks, therefore the cap ramifications and/or any actual costs of the Seabrook contract to Chicago are not relevant. Or something.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
But fans only care about picks, therefore the cap ramifications and/or any actual costs of the Seabrook contract to Chicago are not relevant. Or something.
84769756.jpg

Reactions: Guttersniped

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
As a Hawks fan, I'm fine with this. Also, a few have brought this up (most recently on this page) but some people are really underselling the value of dumping Seabrook's contract, if not completely dismissing it as meaningless.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
I expect Tampa to fill spots mostly with the young guys chomping at the bit for an opportunity but if you are a free agent right now you gotta be looking at the Lightning and thinking how good it would be to sign cheap and take a run at the Cup.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a Corey Perry type sign to anchor a line with a couple rookies/young guns. I'm sure the Lightning are hoping for that as well - a youth injection is good, but ideally you aren't throwing 3 or 4 into the fold at once.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
"Private league with private rules" is the weirdest aspersion I've ever seen thrown at a sport. I mean, like, as opposed to what?

is it so hard to understand?!

A franchise is created and a rich man/woman buy their in the league.

Take a look at soccer and you got the opposite.
The league can play judge as they like and they don’t do it fairly or in the spirit of the sport.
Money and power have to much saying in how it all are being managed.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
After thinking about it overnight I think this is a win-win trade.
Assuming Seabrook LTIR is covered at least 75% by insurance (Is it still top 5 highest paid automatically have to be insured?)

Chicago get 3 years of Johnson at a net cost of $3.3m a year, which is reasonable for a 3rd/4th line center, plus a low second.

Bolts have to pay $1.7m a year in cash (Vinik not cap) for 3 years, and get $6.875m LTIR for 3 years, and a low 2nd.
Bolts are $1.1m over the cap right now, so can spend up to $5.7m to fill out the roster, without moving anyone else out.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honestly I really like the acquisition of TJ for Chicago... he's gotten a bad name on here for being garbage just cause rival fans thought that acquiring him meant it was helping Tampa out.... I've always thought that whoever ends up acquiring him will end up being very happy with his play and also his contract really isn't that bad.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Tyler Johnson playing next to Kane will....probably be really f***ing good. Just saying. Kane has almost never had a legitimate center to play with. Those he has played with, have had good seasons. I would be SHOCKED if Kane/Johnson aren't stapled to one another next season. This is basically a win/win trade. Hawks really don't care if TJ is a bit overpaid, as they had a hole at center they needed to fill, and plenty of cap space. Tampa got LTIR relief with the Seabrook contract. Hawks get a 2nd for their trouble, which is really just icing on the cake...

This is a good hockey trade.
Playing next to Kane very well could make Tyler look under paid.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

How are they paying 15M? Seabrook is owed 6M in bonuses, the 7.5M in salary is probably insured to a degree. They also owed Johnson 14M the next 3 years. So even if Seabrook isn't insured it's pretty salary neutral.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->