Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] F Nick Foligno signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.5M AAV)

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
"Well my client can score more than 30 points, and here is the comparison" - every agent next summer.

"Well your client isnt Nick Foligno" - every GM next summer

Reactions: Morrison

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Money means little to the team with the most cap space. We won't need to worry about the cap at least until Bedard needs to be re-upped, and coincidentally, this Foligno deal ends the same time as Bedard's ELC.

Hawks will assuredly take on cap dumps for futures. Signing Foligno here doesn't change that. Look at our team on capfriendly, we've got the space.

And Foligno has been the unofficial Captain this year. Throughout all the awfulness, he's been a bright spot in the lockerroom. I'm happy he's sticking around to help Bedard, Reichel, Vlasic, Korchinski, and all the young kids on their way.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Blackhawks have a ton of cap space and the franchise/owners aren't bleeding money.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Same as his brothers extention? Or close to it . It seems every month a foligno signs a 4 mill contract

Reactions: Morrison

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Money means little to the team with the most cap space. We won't need to worry about the cap at least until Bedard needs to be re-upped, and coincidentally, this Foligno deal ends the same time as Bedard's ELC.

Hawks will assuredly take on cap dumps for futures. Signing Foligno here doesn't change that. Look at our team on capfriendly, we've got the space.

And Foligno has been the unofficial Captain this year. Throughout all the awfulness, he's been a bright spot in the lockerroom. I'm happy he's sticking around to help Bedard, Reichel, Vlasic, Korchinski, and all the young kids on their way.
Especially after the Perry debacle, it makes a lot of sense. Florida gained a lot by having Mitchell around Ekblad; I view this as the forward equivalent of it!

Reactions: Mrfenn92

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
That's why you trade for cap dumps and gain more draft picks, not give an aging player $2 million more than any other team would. Just poor cap management.
Hawks will have plenty of cap space to take on cap dumps.

Hawks aren't going to take on every single teams cap problems for minuscule rewards. They'll have discussions with teams and settle on a few dumps for decent futures.

They wont be spending $30m just to load up on mid round picks.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Vocal guy that keeps it loose in the dressing room I can remember numerous times he’d get the Bruins players laughing with his character before games etc.

These attributes can't be ignored. As an example it's been said Yamamoto was that guy for the Oilers, while not being the veteran presence also as Foligno is. It sure seemed that we were missing element starting the year. Chicago has an abundance of cap space and an obvious need for a veteran leader. Yes this is still a big overpayment but they feel the pros outweight the cap implications and for them, I'd say they are correct.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'll add this, I wouldn't be surprised if now that he has some term he's named Captain. Bedard will have the C eventually, for his entirely of his entry level contract he has a mentor. Over payment aside, that's a win.

Reactions: TD Charlie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's frightening bringing up a young team, where everyone is too young to know what they're doing and it's the blind leading the blind.

We miss Foligno a lot in Columbus. A guy who always makes the right play within his abilities.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$$$ > Chance to win a cup
Only way he is going to win a cup was to sign as a cheap depth player for a contender. Or he takes the $9 mill to add to the $53 mill he's made already.

His choice.

But, good on him for getting paid, if he's the one who has to step for Bedard. Can't imagine many 36 year olds want to be doing that too much at the tail end of their career. But, that's what that premium he's getting paid is for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad