Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] F Nick Foligno signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.5M AAV)

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I thought the idea in overpaying him (and Perry) on 1 year deals was to benefit from their veteran leadership up until the deadline when they'd be moved for picks.

Consider me skeptical Foligno will live up to a 4.5M contract at age 37 and 38.

I mean Chicago is at a very real risk of being under the cap floor without contracts like this.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Great dude. I think they’ll be naming him captain soon.

Pricey.
ehh, two years only. Won't hamstring a team on a rebuild. What they are buying is a leader who embodies "playing the right way". Important for all the younger players to have someone to look up to. CHI is going to have some rocky periods during the next two years, and Foligno will be depended upon to help lead them, and take the load off/shield a very young Bedard.

Worst that can happen is that Foligno's body collapses on him, but there is always LTIR, 4.5M x 2 isn't long, and CHI won't be a cap strapped team in the next two years, unless they make some foolish decisions.

I wonder if he asked for the extra .5M so he could wave it in his brother's face.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Do what Bill Armstrong did for Arizona - take on bad contracts and rack up an insane amount of draft picks.

Already well underway

1705081918098.png

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's better than most of our forwards.
Blackhawks forwards for sure, which is a AHL team.

If he were looking at contenders he’d get 1/4 that contract at best.

Not a shot a Chicago it makes sense to make these signings at this point in their franchise. Just a great situation for Foligno

Reactions: McDonald19

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wish I could get obscene amounts of money for just being a popular guy like Foligno is. It’s certainly not for his hockey skill.

He’s living the absolute dream at the end of his career.
You’re underestimating the impact a player like Foligno can have in the locker room during a rebuild, when a decent amount of players are just there collecting pay checks.

Obviously we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes and money certainly helps, but having vet leadership who wants to be part of the rebuild is important.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Would he just retire if they offered half as much? Because he’s not worth that and nobody else is paying close to that for him.

Reactions: hn777

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins overpaid Marty LaPointe to mentor Bergeron and Bergeron speaks very highly of the experience.

More teams with young studs should be doing this sort of thing. Just having *some vets* around isn’t it. Get the right ones and pay for it.

edit: They signed LaPointe BEFORE Bergeron was drafted, but the point still stands that Bergeron had a quality grown up to lean on... he even lived with him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad