Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] F Nick Foligno signs extension with the Blackhawks (2 years, $4.5M AAV)

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
You’re underestimating the impact a player like Foligno can have in the locker room during a rebuild, when a decent amount of players are just there collecting pay checks.

Obviously we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes and money certainly helps, but having vet leadership who wants to be part of the rebuild is important.

Yup. exhibit A

Reactions: Mrfenn92

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get wanting to keep him around, but surely it could have been done much much cheaper than this
How many fights has he had in 1/2 a season standing up for Bedard? You want someone who can play, not a goon like Reeves on his wing. Someone that other players will take the fight with. At his age, I would ask for a premium if I have to step in for Bedard. Always a punch or a takedown away from a serious head injury.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
How many fights has he had in 1/2 a season standing up for Bedard? You want someone who can play, not a goon like Reeves on his wing. Someone that other players will take the fight with. At his age, I would ask for a premium if I have to step in for Bedard. Always a punch or a takedown away from a serious head injury.

Sure but regardless of all that his worth is only as much as the market would lay him. They could have got all those benefits of keeping Foligno at a lower price if they waited for him to see his market value.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Vocal guy that keeps it loose in the dressing room I can remember numerous times he’d get the Bruins players laughing with his character before games etc.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bruins overpaid Marty LaPointe to mentor Bergeron and Bergeron speaks very highly of the experience.

More teams with young studs should be doing this sort of thing. Just having *some vets* around isn’t it. Get the right ones and pay for it.
Isnt bergeron kind of like Gretzky with his compliments?

Im sure lapointe gave him tips and what not, but bergeron from what I remember hardly critizes anyone and is complimentary of most players/management

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Teams should be allowed to trade cap space for draft picks. Instead of overpaying Foligno by $2.5 million the Blackhawks should be able to trade that $2.5 million to Toronto for a 2nd round pick or whatever. This also wouldn't change the overall amount of cap space available leaguewide so it shouldn't breach the 50/50 HRR split I don't think.

Reactions: Morrison

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Love it. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the next captain either. I'd put the C on him right now, but Nick is the type of guy who would tell management "this is Bedard's team" and stay with the A. Just a solid player and a terrific leader.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I wish I could get obscene amounts of money for just being a popular guy like Foligno is. It’s certainly not for his hockey skill.

He’s living the absolute dream at the end of his career.
Maybe it is the reverse for you and you have the skill but.... :sarcasm:
In all seriousness, I hear you. It would be cool if my job paid even 10% extra for being well liked in the room.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If they need to hit the cap floor while they stick I get it cause he’s a leader but Jeesh again on the cap hit

Reactions: Morrison

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Essentially the contract value equates to a NMC because it gives Foligno intensely negative trade value, while the cap hit is fairly meaningless for the Hawks.

Foligno probably likes being a leader in that room and an example for the kids while also probably not wanting to jump/get traded around at this point in his career. The Hawks clearly love his influence and want him to help raise the next gen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad