Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CGY] Erik Gustafsson for 2020 3rd round pick

Cruznoost

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah another dman from the past that was good offensively but tragic in their own end :)
Well he sure held his own (as well as Forbort) and contributed nicely to the win against the Bruins last night...Especially for the price I love this pick up and have a feeling he’s gonna start getting it going again...

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I didn't love the trade to be honest, but with Hamonic looking like he's out long term and Valimaki looking like he's not coming back, it seems like a decent acquisition. The Flames were getting very thin on D.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Good debut.. Led all flames skaters in time on ice, had an assist, and was a major factor in handing the Bruins just their 3rd regulation loss on home ice. His creativity, poise, versatility (plays both sides) and willingness to get the puck towards the net will be extremely beneficial for this team down the stretch. He adds a dimension to this d-core that was missing and will help limit Giordano's minutes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Great, because it certainly won’t last. I’ll take Gustaffson for a 3rd over Martinez for two seconds. They’re both middle pairing guys.
To each their own. The last thing Vegas needs is a middle pairing defenseman who needs to babysit after a guy's defensive problems. My post wasn't meant to be a shot at Calgary. Just a genuine sigh of relief cause personally I didn't like the news that Vegas was interested in the guy. If he pans out for CGY more power to him, the team, and the fans.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Well he sure held his own (as well as Forbort) and contributed nicely to the win against the Bruins last night...Especially for the price I love this pick up and have a feeling he’s gonna start getting it going again...

I mean its just about managing expectations. For that price we traded for, it would't be fair to expect a top line all around dman lol.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I mean its just about managing expectations. For that price we traded for, it would't be fair to expect a top line all around dman lol.

Well he did lead our defensemen in TOI it may have only been like 40 seconds but still lol

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Now just sign him to a decent contract long term Tre and I think you have a winner here.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
3 mill 3 years? 4-5 mil for 5-8 years

4 years at $4 million would be the sweet spot for me personally. I really like the signing and think he brings something we simply have lacked up to this point. We paid Michael Stone for far less. Gives the player stability and Calgary has a strong contingent of Swedish players on the team. Pretty low risk with high reward for the team imo.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
4 years at $4 million would be the sweet spot for me personally. I really like the signing and think he brings something we simply have lacked up to this point. We paid Michael Stone for far less. Gives the player stability and Calgary has a strong contingent of Swedish players on the team. Pretty low risk with high reward for the team imo.

I wouldn't mind that deal but id try for 3x3

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Well it's just one game. Heh. Just saying to manage expectations as having watched him prior quite a bit he's not exactly a defensive stalwart.

Oh trust me i already know that, he didn't get any PK time for a reason, but Brodie/Anderson have both been snakebitten on the PP and our only real good PPQB is Gio who is getting up there, i was quite surprised of how Gusty played vs Boston(aren't they 1st or 2nd in the league?) I don't watch the playoffs on both sides but as far as im concerned the top 4 eastern teams are simple Boston, Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, he just played 21 minutes while our #1 dman is out, im happy with how he played his first game, im not expecting him to lead Calgary's dmen in ice time even with Gio out, i thought Brodie/Hanifin would of been trusted with more 5v5 TOI, i think Gusty should be tried on the 2nd line with Hanifin/Kylington as the ld, top line of Gio-Brodie, 3rd line as Forbort-Anderson, i think would create 3 deadly lines maybe Forbort/Kylington sub in/out on the 3rd

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
I expect Flames fans to continue to like this trade.

the echo chamber among Blackhawks fans surrounding Gus was at a fever pitch. Truth is, his defensive game is much improved. He has a great first pass, has + hands, vision and creativity.

He was also on a Hawks team that, as far as I can tell, doesn’t have a D zone exit strategy. I truly think he will excel elsewhere.

4x4 is the expected signing as far as I can tell. Might be able to get 3.8x4 (which we all round up to 4 anyways - but it does look better)

Reactions: Nanuuk

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't understand this one...

This guy put up 60 points last year, and is on pace for 36 points this year on a bit of a down year. Just turned 27, so still lots left. Why did he go so cheap?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
All we need him to do is QB one of the PP and play sheltered minutes. That’s it. He looked great last game.

you have to keep in mind we are so banged up, him + Forbort replaces Stone and Yelesin in the lineup, so it’s a big improvement.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
All we need him to do is QB one of the PP and play sheltered minutes. That’s it. He looked great last game.

you have to keep in mind we are so banged up, him + Forbort replaces Stone and Yelesin in the lineup, so it’s a big improvement.

In theory Calgary has the defensive depth to protect someone like Gus in tough situations, as well. Chicago doesn't really have the depth to protect a player like him in 2020 (They would be 5-10 years ago).

I thought his showing on the PP was fantastic. The fact he got the puck through a few times was something we're not used to in Flames town, normally that's off a shin, skate and back down the ice.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
In theory Calgary has the defensive depth to protect someone like Gus in tough situations, as well. Chicago doesn't really have the depth to protect a player like him in 2020 (They would be 5-10 years ago).

I thought his showing on the PP was fantastic. The fact he got the puck through a few times was something we're not used to in Flames town, normally that's off a shin, skate and back down the ice.

My thoughts exactly. It's very early so who knows how it will pan out, but I do think he is an ideal situation here at least for this season.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City

This guy put up 60 points last year, and is on pace for 36 points this year on a bit of a down year. Just turned 27, so still lots left. Why did he go so cheap?

You'll find out soon enough. Very frustrating player. Wish him the best in Calgary.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

He has to be protected on the ice.
Must be deployed with a vast majority of his starts in the offensive zone.
Doesn't kill penalties.
You don't want him on the ice protecting a 1-goal lead.
Even his shot through % sucks this year, worse than Duncan Keith (who can't hit the broadside of a barn.)

If Calgary can use him in that way, great.
Most teams can't afford it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He has to be protected on the ice.
Must be deployed with a vast majority of his starts in the offensive zone.
Doesn't kill penalties.
You don't want him on the ice protecting a 1-goal lead.

Even his shot through % sucks this year, worse than Duncan Keith (who can't hit the broadside of a barn.)

If Calgary can use him in that way, great.
Most teams can't afford it.

He's behind Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin, Andersson, Forbort and Hamonic in terms of PK usage when the team is healthy.
He'd also be behind the same guys protecting the lead.

I think he found a good situation to be in, in Calgary. But time will tell of course.

Reactions: Nanuuk

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's not that's hes bad defensively or in the zone. But his offense talent and hits come with tons of risks. A big reason he lead the league in high danger chances against last year and still probably poor this year is he turns the puck over in damaging ways a lot with risks he takes. Even he just too often poorly times a d to d pass on the blue line and suddenly another breakaway chance against happens.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
If he plays over 18 minutes most nights and scores around 10 ish points with us and a few in the playoffs id be happy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00