Confirmed Trade: [CHI/CBJ] Jones, 2021 1st (32OA), '22 6th for Boqvist, '21 1st (12OA), '21 2nd, '22 1st (protected)

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Jones will be paired with Suter (only a matter of time). All they need is a goaltender and they're off to the races.

The Hawks have no Team D in their forward corps. At best we have 1 or 2 lines that can consistently win the matchup game. We're totally outclassed by any team who can grind/work hard.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Its honestly amazing how “not terrible” they’ve ended the last couple of years. The roster is atrocious.

I mean losing Jonathan Toews and Kirby Dach for the entire year might do that to a team…

You’re adding those 2 and Jones and subtracting Boqvist. Idk that it will make them world beaters, but those are some pretty significant adds. A 1C, 2C, and 1D.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Sadly, the issue with Seth Jones is kind of the same.
That seems to be the narrative and that this now the worst contract in the NHL, since that one all encompassing advanced stat that makes the rounds around here says he was bad, a year ago people thought he was a Top 10 D. Who knows.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That seems to be the narrative and that this now the worst contract in the NHL, since that one all encompassing advanced stat that makes the rounds around here says he was bad, a year ago people thought he was a Top 10 D. Who knows.

It's not just one stat or graph.

This ginormous deep dive into Seth Jones play shows that his play doesn't match his reputation at all:

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite? - by JFresh - JFresh’s Newsletter (substack.com)

He's still a good player but no one should go around calling him an elite player. If the Hawks are thinking he's a younger Duncan Keith replacement, they will regret it. If they think of him as an overpaid top 4D, they should be happy with his contribution.

I am kind of excited that Chicago went all in. I love watching Patrick Kane play and he's one of the best playoff performers of this generation and I think the moves they are making kind of guarantee that they are at least a playoff team so it will be fun to how they do.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
This has the be the worst trade in years. Multiple 1st round picks, a 2nd, a great prospect and then he signs for a stupidly bad deal?

He asked for a trade and they still paid this? Wow.
Lots of GMs were likely bidding, causing the Hawks to overpay. I've done that auctions if I'm in a bad mood and bidding against someone stubborn.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's not just one stat or graph.

This ginormous deep dive into Seth Jones play shows that his play doesn't match his reputation at all:

Is Seth Jones Actually Elite? - by JFresh - JFresh’s Newsletter (substack.com)

He's still a good player but no one should go around calling him an elite player. If the Hawks are thinking he's a younger Duncan Keith replacement, they will regret it. If they think of him as an overpaid top 4D, they should be happy with his contribution.

I am kind of excited that Chicago went all in. I love watching Patrick Kane play and he's one of the best playoff performers of this generation and I think the moves they are making kind of guarantee that they are at least a playoff team so it will be fun to how they do.
Gotta risk it to get the biscuit. Worst case scenario you have an overpaid player and are back to tanking with Kane and Toews on new teams when their deal ends. They owe those guys one last attempt it even if it means looking worse on the other end of the rebuild.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Hawk defense looks good with this trade.

1st Pair LD C. Jones RD S. Jones
2nd Pair LD Stillman RD Murphy
3rd Pair LD De Haan RD Mitchell

Extra:
LD/RD Zadorov ~ RFA*
LD Kalynuk
LD Beaudin
RD Regula

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I mean losing Jonathan Toews and Kirby Dach for the entire year might do that to a team…

You’re adding those 2 and Jones and subtracting Boqvist. Idk that it will make them world beaters, but those are some pretty significant adds. A 1C, 2C, and 1D.

Dach isn't going to be ready at the start of the season if I'm not mistaken. He had a pretty significant wrist injury in early May that put him out 4-6 months. What's his status, Hawks fans?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He looked like ass when I watched him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
While we paid more than I wanted, people all or a sudden forget how good Jones is because one bad season. He placed 9th and 4th in Norris voting his last two full seasons and is still one of the best young d-men in the league. This is a guy who brings great two-way play while being able to contribute 50+ points on offence.

Defensemen usually have their best years in their late 20s, early 30s so I am not overly worried. Bowmans gotta take advantage of Kane/Toews last couple seasons of high end play. Dont really understand why they had to give two firsts but I hope for the best.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Jones isn't bad, but he's been declining already and players don't typically get better once they start declining. 9.5 is insane, he's never been close to as good as Subban was when he got his contract, and Subban's did not age well.

Reactions: byrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad