Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Blackhawks sign Pius Suter to ELC (1 year, $925k)

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I’m not sure his opportunities at center in Chicago would be limited. Chicago isn’t sold on Stome. I could see Strome dealt and Suter centering Debrincat and Kane.

Not a bad place to land.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Kubalik isn't gonna score 30 goals on a consistent basis either.
Also, Suter is a Centerman and primarily a playmaker. Had some success as a triggerman and he's excellent in the slot with deflections and rebounds but he's still more of a playmaker. And yeah, don't think he's more than a 3rd line Center...talent is there but I don't think he's tough/strong enough for more.
Why not? I don’t think he does it every year but he can without a doubt score close to 30 every year. Dude has a hell of a shot and gets to the dirty areas with regularlity.
I can't imagine a player actually wanting to be coached by Crawford again. I seem to recall rumors of players not liking him for how much he yelled at and berated them. What do I know, but I wouldn't think that Chicago would be a front runner for that reason (maybe for other reasons, but not that).
I’m pretty sure a lot of hawks rallied around Crawford when he was suspended for a old allegations this year. Before he got gotchya’d Crawford had already admitted a lot of things he did in the past were wrong and even got counseling on his own and has had continued therapy for the past 10 years or so.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just had a massive year in the swiss league. was pretty much unknown before that though.

30g in 50 games in a super low scoring league opens eyes

Unknown? Not by any means. The guy scored over 40 goals and over 70 points for OHL Guelph Storm, played Memorial Cup games for them. Then returned to Switzerland and was brilliant in almost every game...maybe with the exception of last season which was a down year...but it was for the whole team, really.
Also had success both with the National and the National Junior squad at almost all major tournaments. Brilliant little player that somehow never got drafted. Maybe due to a lack of size or his Swiss passport. Who knows. But then again...no team wanted Panarin either...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Was he invited to Islanders training camp a yesr or two ago? The name somehow rings a bell

Yeah. As mentioned before, he attended the Sens camp in 2017 and the Isles camp in 2018...after a bit of controvery when it was reported that he'd return to the Sens for one more training camp.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If red wings, I'd throw the dart and offer Pius all the playing time he wants.

He should definitely be interested if the Redwings are amongst the teams offering him a contract. Suter also had success with Bertuzzi and Fabbri when playing for OHL Guelph Storm. Two familiar faces and maybe even some chemistry.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He should definitely be interested if the Redwings are amongst the teams offering him a contract. Suter also had success with Bertuzzi and Fabbri when playing for OHL Guelph Storm. Two familiar faces and maybe even some chemistry.

Didnt they even play on the same line? In any case I think it might not bad for him to sign short term on a rebuilding team like Detroit. Playing time would be pretty much guaranteed and if the team doesnt go in the right direction he could still change franchises after a year or two. Basically a no risk situation for everyone involved...

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Didnt they even play on the same line? In any case I think it might not bad for him to sign short term on a rebuilding team like Detroit. Playing time would be pretty much guaranteed and if the team doesnt go in the right direction he could still change franchises after a year or two. Basically a no risk situation for everyone involved...

I think they did. At least Bertuzzi and Suter, centered by either Fabbri or Dickinson.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
24fovx.jpg

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I’m not sure his opportunities at center in Chicago would be limited. Chicago isn’t sold on Stome. I could see Strome dealt and Suter centering Debrincat and Kane.

Not a bad place to land.
Its also an option the center position opens up if Chicago decides Strome's skating is best suited on the wing. That also cheapens the contract price negotiations for Chicago if they see him as a future wing

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Could he feasibly fill a 2C role in the NHL? That would be a nice pickup for a stop-gap until we see what Veleno is going to bring.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not saying that this is wrong but it sounds like pure speculation based on Crawford being with the Blackhawks now and them having success with signing Kubalik outta Switzerland.

I'll repeat what I posted in the Redwings forum. Suter did play a lot of Wing but his preferred position is Center. He's a decent triggerman and very efficient in the slot but he's mainly a playmaker. Chicago has a Center logjam so I'm not sure if that's really his best option.

Maybe they're his favourite team or made the best offer but with apparently multiple offers on the table, I certainly wouldn't pick Chicago if I'm Suter. Nothing against the Blackhawks. Just wouldn't make sense for him.

All depends on what the Hawks do this off-season. By all accounts it sounds like they're very keen on moving Strome, which means he would be splitting #2/3C duties with Dach. Not a bad fit considering he'd get to play with one of Debrincat, Kane, or Kubalik.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Could he feasibly fill a 2C role in the NHL? That would be a nice pickup for a stop-gap until we see what Veleno is going to bring.

I mean in theory based on his talent he could but I wouldn't expect it. He's probably more of a 3rd line Center due to a lack of size and strength. Not a bad option though considering he's Free Agent and can also play on the Wing. I think he mostly played Wing for Guelph Storm and last season, too.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
All depends on what the Hawks do this off-season. By all accounts it sounds like they're very keen on moving Strome, which means he would be splitting #2/3C duties with Dach. Not a bad fit considering he'd get to play with one of Debrincat, Kane, or Kubalik.

This may be the deciding factor. A team where the top 9 C spots are potentially up for grabs, a solid winger on each line.

Even if they keep strome, he can be a C/W on the third line with Dach and Kubalik if the decide to move from Caggiula.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad