Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Blackhawks sign Pius Suter to ELC (1 year, $925k)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Staple reminded us he was at Isles camp I think twice?

Just once. 2018. 2017 he attended the Sens camp. It was assumed that he'd attend the Sens camp again in 2018 but I don't know whether that information was false or whether he changed his mind. There was some confusion about that anyway. Don't think he attended more than those two camps though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Doesn't Cizikas play the role he'd most likely be targeting?

Absolutely not. Cizikas is a great player but really just for a shutdown checking line. Pius Suter is a playmaking center. Cizikas mostly played with Martin and Komarov I think. Suter would be absolutely useless with those two.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Absolutely not. Cizikas is a great player but really just for a shutdown checking line. Pius Suter is a playmaking center. Cizikas mostly played with Martin and Komarov I think. Suter would be absolutely useless with those two.
I think you're overrating Suter's expected impact at the NHL level.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think you're overrating Suter's expected impact at the NHL level.

Based on what?
I can tell you that Pius Suter is better than Dominik Kubalik. If that helps. And he played in NA before.

But what I was saying was that Cizikas is counted on to play big minutes in a shutdown and checking role as well as on the PK. Suter wouldn't be able to fill that role so he's no real competition for Cizikas. Not sure how, based on that, I could be overrating Suter's impact. But hey, whatever you say:laugh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Based on what?
I can tell you that Pius Suter is better than Dominik Kubalik. If that helps. And he played in NA before.
Based on what you just said.

He was an effective two-way forward in junior who broke out offensively in his 19-year old season. His stats in the NLA last season are promising, but his showings in NHL training camps haven't shown a guy who's going to score you 30 goals.

I'm guessing he's a guy who might be a third liner at this level.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Based on what you just said.

He was an effective two-way forward in junior who broke out offensively in his 19-year old season. His stats in the NLA last season are promising, but his showings in NHL training camps haven't shown a guy who's going to score you 30 goals.

I'm guessing he's a guy who might be a third liner at this level.

Kubalik isn't gonna score 30 goals on a consistent basis either.
Also, Suter is a Centerman and primarily a playmaker. Had some success as a triggerman and he's excellent in the slot with deflections and rebounds but he's still more of a playmaker. And yeah, don't think he's more than a 3rd line Center...talent is there but I don't think he's tough/strong enough for more.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Looks like Chicago

Not saying that this is wrong but it sounds like pure speculation based on Crawford being with the Blackhawks now and them having success with signing Kubalik outta Switzerland.

I'll repeat what I posted in the Redwings forum. Suter did play a lot of Wing but his preferred position is Center. He's a decent triggerman and very efficient in the slot but he's mainly a playmaker. Chicago has a Center logjam so I'm not sure if that's really his best option.

Maybe they're his favourite team or made the best offer but with apparently multiple offers on the table, I certainly wouldn't pick Chicago if I'm Suter. Nothing against the Blackhawks. Just wouldn't make sense for him.

Last edited:

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
I'm sure he'll have some down years but have you seen him play?
He's a sniper. He may get 40 or more with the right set-up man at center.
woah woah dude, hold your horses. He was my favorite player the last couple of years here in Zurich, but it's still questionable if he even sticks in the NHL longterm. To pot 40 he would need to constantly play on the top line and 1st pp unit. And the team he goes to, needs to be semi-good.
I'm happy Pius gets a shot to show his abilities in NA and if he pots 15+ or 20+ a season, that's already a huge achievement in my eyes.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
woah woah dude, hold your horses. He was my favorite player the last couple of years here in Zurich, but it's still questionable if he even sticks in the NHL longterm. To pot 40 he would need to constantly play on the top line and 1st pp unit. And the team he goes to, needs to be semi-good.
I'm happy Pius gets a shot to show his abilities in NA and if he pots 15+ or 20+ a season, that's already a huge achievement in my eyes.

The 40 comment was about Kubalik.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Going to need a more credible source

The source itself is very credible. It's a quality newspaper..but they themselves are writing that they're guessing based on Marc Crawford being his former Coach. They don't claim to know anything so unless there's something they cannot reveal, that's worth nothing despite the source being credible.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can't imagine a player actually wanting to be coached by Crawford again. I seem to recall rumors of players not liking him for how much he yelled at and berated them. What do I know, but I wouldn't think that Chicago would be a front runner for that reason (maybe for other reasons, but not that).

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I can't imagine a player actually wanting to be coached by Crawford again. I seem to recall rumors of players not liking him for how much he yelled at and berated them. What do I know, but I wouldn't think that Chicago would be a front runner for that reason (maybe for other reasons, but not that).

Suter is on record for saying that he likes tough coaches and doesn't mind getting an ear full. He also thrived under Crawford who trusted him and gave him a lot of ice time. That's probably what they're basing it on. But I think at this point it's possible that not even Suter knows for sure where he'll be going so it most likely is pure speculation.

Furthermore, I'm not sure he necessarily wants to sign with Chicago where his opportunities to play Center would be very limited.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2