Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Blackhawks sign Pius Suter to ELC (1 year, $925k)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Scouting report on this guy?

Small guy, not a huge offensive upside. Likely bottom 6 defensive role. Good enough speed, kills penalties and has a good forecheck.

Has generally been well liked too.

Attended two training camps in the past, Sens and Isles. Reports from the Isles camp at the time seemed to indicate they were close to an NHL contract so wouldn't be shocking if he signed there now. Also apparently bonded with Matthews when they played together for most of Matthews draft year.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I remember being surprised when he went undrafted. A few comments in his prospect thread said he would be in the NHL some day, looks like they were right.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I could see the sharks being interested. I don’t think language is usally a barrier for Swiss players but we do have Timo who I believe he’s played with in the past

Reactions: uncleben

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Any specific observations about his game?

I don't know too much , but what I do know he's a two way guy who finds a lot of success around the net.

EDIT: Also I could easily see us (NJ) sign him. He's played with Nico in the past and we have two other Swiss players in the org (Mueller and Senn)

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Any specific observations about his game?

From other posters:

He should have been signed by an NHL team ~2 years ago in my opinion.

If it werent for his size he would be in the NHL right now in my opinion. He has excellent hockey IQ, quick hands, fantastic puck protection, good vision, and very accurate wrist shot to his disposal. He is also a great character guy that every team would want in the locker room. Hopefully he and his agent will make the right choice selecting the team when the time comes.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
He was in the Senators camp a couple years ago. Really hope we are the team. The 3rd overall pick may not be ready and we could use the additional firepower

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
He is signing with Chicago.

Wonder if this makes someone like Saad more available should he play well. Hawks cap situation with the flat cap is pretty gross.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
It’s funny I remember him from the older NHL games, since he was an older prospect his overall would get a boost, so I would always draft him and he would already be like a 70+ overall. Good to see him actually develop into a possible solid player, I liked him in NHL15 and NHL Legacy.

josiesque

Oct 15, 2015
Can he play center? Leafs are in need of a cheaper 3 line C.
He's a C and played there until last season. He got to play wing last season because Garret Roe joined zurich and we had "too many" centers so Pius was the trigger man for Roe's passes on the 1st line. But Pius is a great playmaker on his own, can generate offense with his speed and is very good in front of the net. In addition to that, he's working hard defensively and loves to pick pokets while back checking.
Sure enough, that's what he looks like in Switzerland in a Top6 role and a very strong roster in Zurich.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Small guy, not a huge offensive upside. Likely bottom 6 defensive role. Good enough speed, kills penalties and has a good forecheck.

Has generally been well liked too.

Attended two training camps in the past, Sens and Isles. Reports from the Isles camp at the time seemed to indicate they were close to an NHL contract so wouldn't be shocking if he signed there now. Also apparently bonded with Matthews when they played together for most of Matthews draft year.

Eh no. He's an offensive player. Too soft to play on a checking. He's pretty useless on the forecheck but he's a decent backchecker thanks to his skating, good stick and great hockey IQ. Skillset isn't bad but he's mainly just a very smart player making great decisions both with and without the puck. Playmaking Center who can also pull the trigger.

Doesn't need a lot of space to do his thing and he successfully played some OHL hockey for Guelph Storm scoring 72 points in 14/15 so he's a pretty good bet to work out in the NHL. Played with Bertuzzi and Fabbri back then so the Redwings could be an option. Of course also the Isles and Sens since he attended their camps and both teams liked him. Might also be noteworthy that his former Assistant coach at Guelph Storm, Todd Harvey, is now scouting in a cross checker role for the Vancouver Canucks while his former head coach, Scott Walker, is now a member of the Arizona Coyotes front office.

The fact that this announcement comes with him still unsigned probably means he has multiple offers to choose from.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad