Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Blackhawks extend Alex DeBrincat (3 years, $6.4M AAV) (Mod warning OP)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The question is though, at the end do you build your future around a 40g (if not more) elite, undersized winger or do you use him to get the next Toews for your team. I like this contract because it leaves that option open.

My thinking exactly.

As bad as the Hawks have been lately, it’s likely just going to get worse in the next year or two with Keith already drastically declining and Kane/Toews getting up in age.

Leaves them options to try and rebuild on the fly or do a full rebuild around their more recent picks (Dach, Bobqvist, etc)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
With the cap projected to go up by a ton within the next three years (barring a long and major recession a la 2008), a $9M QO isn't bad for Cat. The question for the Hawks is if Toews/Kane decline slowly or sharply in their 30s. If the former happens in 3 years, they'll be in a good spot. If the latter, they may be smart to trade DeBrincat during his next RFA year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly don't like these short bridge deals that walk the player straight to UFA as early as possible. It may look good now, but you're handing all the leverage to the player after this deal is over. Things will get ugly once all these RFAs' bridge deals are up and looking for a 12M payday after the Seattle and TV deal money come in.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Wanted a long term deal but there’s no way I can complain about this. Dude scored 41 goals last year and we got him on a multi year deal under 7

Reactions: MC2D

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
wow.. he coulda demanded more if he waited till next offseason... especially seeing IMO he will put up 50 goals this year

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I love it. On another note, Debrincat at $6.4m is ridiculously better than Marner at $11m.

That's great and all, but you don't know what the AAV will be on his next deal starting in 23-24. Could be $13m+ if the cap goes up a lot with the new TV deal.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
It’s ood for the hawks because it expires the same year as Kane/Toews/Keith. There will be plenty of cap space left, and it gives us more room during the contract than a long term deal would

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
That's great and all, but you don't know what the AAV will be on his next deal starting in 23-24. Could be $13m+ if the cap goes up a lot with the new TV deal.

He's certainly going to get paid in three years. But even if he gets 13, as a percentage of the cap it will be comparable to Marner during that time. But for the next three years the Hawks get a 40 goal scorer at a great price.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Few of his last season merits:
- most none EN & redirected goals in the NHL (40)
- most goals in the NHL by a sophomore (41)
- most none EN/redirected goals in the NHL by a sophomore (40)
- most points in the NHL by a sophomore (76)
- highest ppg avg in the NHL by a sophomore (0.94)
- most pp goals in the NHL by a sophomore (13)
- most pp points in the NHL by a sophomore (24)
- most shots on goal in the NHL by a sophomore (220)
- 2nd most goals by American skaters (41)
- 6th most goals in the NHL (41)
- 10th most PP goals in the NHL (13)
- from players with 35 or more goals, fewest of ice time per game avg in the NHL (17:32)
- youngest sophomore in the franchise history to score 40 goals in a season
- youngest player in the franchise history to score 40 goals in a season*
- most goals in the franchise, in first 2 seasons (69)

* Jeremy Roenick was 35 days younger, however, it was his 3rd season in the NHL,
so even thou he owns the record, i think the record should go to DeBrincat instead, because it was his 2nd season

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well, this 3 year bridge with a high base salary in the final year quickly became a thing this summer.

It gives the team some relief short-term (like bridges should) but at the same time, it guarantees the player a big pay day. Not only that, but it also gives them more control at that point, as you can pretty much choose your route to UFA. There's a good chance the player will earn more money in the long-term this way, if they play their cards right (and are good on the ice).

They look great now but some of these deals won't necessarily turn out great for the team long-term (not saying DeBrincat specifically will be one of them).

But i don't mind it. If a player doesn't want to stay they find a way to leave first chance they get anyway, and i'd rather pay more knowing fully what i have later, than take chances with long-term deals based on short sample sizes.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
The fact that teams and players have to decide what to do with their star RFAs is what makes it worth comparing.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Of course it is dragging the Leafs into it. It's an unnecessary baiting which is likely going to derail this thread. It's exhausting reading the same argument in every one of these threads. It should be about DeBrincat, the contract, and his comparables (other bridge players), but I can guarantee if you bait the largest and most vocal group on this board into another "lol dubas dumb" thread, it won't be about those things.
Are you new here?

Literally any time a contract gets signed it gets compared to recently signed comparables. Are we supposed to treat it with kid gloves because the guy DeBrincat recently got compared to in the media is a leaf?

This is getting ridiclous.

Reactions: hawksrule

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
No it's that not a single other RFA is brought up in this thread, and there's actual bridge contracts that have been signed in the past few months that you can have a more legitimate conversation about comparing contracts. Instead, we jump straight on the "Marner's contract sucks" train. All Aboard!

Again it was one poster and there was an article this f***ing week in the Chicago media comparing Marners contract situation to DeBrincat. You’re out of your mind if you don’t think that’s fresh on the mind of hawks fans and they’re going to compare it. It’s not at all piling on leafs fans lol.

If you can’t handle other teams comparing contracts to your players don’t click on these threads. It’s real simple.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
No it's that not a single other RFA is brought up in this thread, and there's actual bridge contracts that have been signed in the past few months that you can have a more legitimate conversation about comparing contracts. Instead, we jump straight on the "Marner's contract sucks" train. All Aboard!

Yikes. They're both young wingers and offensive stars. It just so happens that ours will cost 40% less than yours for the next three years. Don't be so sensitive.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think I would have liked to see him do it again before I gave him that kind of money, but I guess getting out in front of it takes away the risk of him blowing up this year.

I would have tried to sign him on a long term deal.

Good to have some positive news after that Jokiharju trade...

Reactions: vshun

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Good deal. I’m enjoying this trend of shorter term deals that ease the young guys into big money contracts. It’s nice being able to cheer for guys who earn what they make.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad