Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Blackhawks extend Alex DeBrincat (3 years, $6.4M AAV) (Mod warning OP)

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I honestly don't like these short bridge deals that walk the player straight to UFA as early as possible. It may look good now, but you're handing all the leverage to the player after this deal is over. Things will get ugly once all these RFAs' bridge deals are up and looking for a 12M payday after the Seattle and TV deal money come in.
I don't mind these type of deals. Depends on a teams current cap space really. If you have enough room to make the longer term deal and pay the extra then go for it. If not then bridge it. Although the hawks specifically should not have given so much cap space to middling defenceman this summer thinking that it would make them contenders. Should have saved the space and signed him long term. (if he was interested, some guys want bridge deals.)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Where did you find this stat? I'd love to see the full list.

I actually counted them from highlight videos....for real. I used Hatrickkane (or what ever the name of the youtube channel is) highlight videos. - i checked only 30+ goal scorers, not all of them :)

If i remember correctly, 2nd was Draisaitl with 38 and Ovie with 37 or something like that, he had surprisingly lot EN goals
4 or 5, something like that (i counted redirect's as off bounces as well and one of those Ovechkin had like again 4 or 5 + with the redirects, with all of those, it gets above 10)

Reactions: COHawk

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
I actually counted them from highlight videos....for real. I used Hatrickkane (or what ever the name of the youtube channel is) highlight videos. - i checked only 30+ goal scorers, not all of them :)

If i remember correctly, 2nd was Draisaitl with 38 and Ovie with 37 or something like that, he had surprisingly lot EN goals
4 or 5, something like that (i counted redirect's as off bounces as well and one of those Ovechkin had like again 4 or 5 + with the redirects, with all of those, it gets above 10)
Wow, good on ya. Definitely really interesting.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
DeBrincat had only one EN goal, rest were either, wristers, slappers, snappers, one timers, etc. etc...what more are there :)
and most of them, over 90%, were top shelf shots. (even the EN goal was a top shelf, no kidding)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They have the luxury to do this with 25 million coming off the books in 3 years. Good for them.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, they corrected it then. The time i checked it, it said 6 400 000 :(
When the first reports of a signed contract only with years and full value are publicized, they at CapFriendly usually put it up on their site with the average salary for every year, with a notieable note that it is still unconfirmed.

When that happens, at that point the specifics in CP information are not good and shouldn't be referred to.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Isn’t there a rule about how much a salary can differ from year to year? Whatever that rule is going from 5.1M to 9M seems like it should be wrong.
There are very complicated rules in CBA 50.7, that even differ on whether it is a front-loaded contract or not.

In this case, it's ok:

(b) "The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs. For any SPC that is not a Front-Loaded SPC, the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the first two League Years of an SPC cannot exceed the amount of the lower of the two League Years. Thereafter, in all subsequent League Years of the SPC, (i) any increase in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed the amount of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, that same amount); and (ii) any decrease in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed fifty (50) percent of the Player Salary and Bonuses of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, 50 percent of that same amount).

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Few of his last season merits:
- most none EN & redirected goals in the NHL (40)
- most goals in the NHL by a sophomore (41)
- most none EN/redirected goals in the NHL by a sophomore (40)
- most points in the NHL by a sophomore (76)
- highest ppg avg in the NHL by a sophomore (0.94)
- most pp goals in the NHL by a sophomore (13)
- most pp points in the NHL by a sophomore (24)
- most shots on goal in the NHL by a sophomore (220)
- 2nd most goals by American skaters (41)
- 6th most goals in the NHL (41)
- 10th most PP goals in the NHL (13)
- from players with 35 or more goals, fewest of ice time per game avg in the NHL (17:32)
- youngest sophomore in the franchise history to score 40 goals in a season
- youngest player in the franchise history to score 40 goals in a season*
- most goals in the franchise, in first 2 seasons (69)

* Jeremy Roenick was 35 days younger, however, it was his 3rd season in the NHL,
so even thou he owns the record, i think the record should go to DeBrincat instead, because it was his 2nd season
AD is an impressive young talent but but most of these stats are just made up cherry picked stats. "most goals by a sophemore" doesn't mean anything.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They will regret not going 8 years but in terms of a shorter deal this is a huge positive for the Hawks. AAV is not high for the term. As others have pointed out, getting it done now avoids the circus of having a negotiation drag out next summer. It also gives the Hawks earlier clarity about their upcoming cap situation.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
AD is an impressive young talent but but most of these stats are just made up cherry picked stats. "most goals by a sophemore" doesn't mean anything.

You should of put made up on air quotes. Not made up, i agree that most of these are not official stats, but actual statistics and what not nevertheless, do you only care about official stats?. - boring -

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He is worth it as long as Kane is healthy. Found some chemistry there.

skiba77777

Jun 24, 2013
I’m talking about when his contract is done 4 years from now.

Toews will be 35 and yes last season was his best offensively, but his 3 before that were his worst.

Kane will be 34 but who knows with him

Keith will be pushing 40 and who knows if he will even still be in the league

Seabrook will likely not be in the NHL anymore

Crawford is likely gone too.

Those are some very big pieces who are either on the downswing of their career or gone

You sound oblivious to the Hawks situation. They've already bottomed out and are back on the rise. They gained tons of payroll felxibility this offseason, and will get more next offseason when they shed more dead weight. They also have a ton of young talent both at the NHL level and in the system.

Crawford/Seabrook/Keith being gone will be a GOOD thing when they happen. That means they shed their contracts, which they are no longer worth. Not sure how you're twisting that into a bad thing. They are no longer counting on those guys, at all. Keith is still decent right now, but he has a smaller contract. Crawford is obviously gone after this season because of his concussion issues.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nice deal for Chicago. Seems like Point was probably the comparable they settled on (little less money for Debrincat, presumably because he's a winger and had fewer total points, but same term and flat salary structure). So much for the Tampa tax discount, I guess.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Further proof that “Bridge Deals” are back in vogue.

Solid AAV for the Hawks nonetheless.
Seems that way. It's the best way to avoid ending up on a team friendly deal 4 or 5 years after signing long term.
Constantly remaining at current market value will add up over a career.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You sound oblivious to the Hawks situation. They've already bottomed out and are back on the rise. They gained tons of payroll felxibility this offseason, and will get more next offseason when they shed more dead weight. They also have a ton of young talent both at the NHL level and in the system.

Crawford/Seabrook/Keith being gone will be a GOOD thing when they happen. That means they shed their contracts, which they are no longer worth. Not sure how you're twisting that into a bad thing. They are no longer counting on those guys, at all. Keith is still decent right now, but he has a smaller contract. Crawford is obviously gone after this season because of his concussion issues.

They are very much still counting on Keith, he’s, by far, their #1D and will likely be done at the end of Debrincat’s 3 years. Seabrook will actually still have a year left by the time his contract is done. Crawford will be gone as well, and is your #1G.

You’ve also got Kane/Toews aging. By the end of his contract, they will be 34/35. I’m sure Kane will still be a good 1st line player, but I can’t see Toews being any more than a good 2nd line player. He essentially already was that 3/4 of his last seasons.

So that’s why I say this is a great contract. By the end of it they will have to likely find a new #1D, #1G, #1C and odds are Kane will be much less effective.

If the prospects they have now like Dach/Bobqvist don’t replace those spots, they can still trade Debrincat if need be for even higher end prospects.

I expect Chicago will be better the next 2 seasons than they will in 3-4 years from now.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Brinksy is a player no doubt about it. Good to lock him up. Would've signed him longer personally, but atleast the management got out in front of it. No distractions. Let the kid play.

Still can't believe he was drafted after the 1st round. Hawks say thank you.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
To bad they couldn’t get him for 8 years. The cap hit might have been more around 9M though and it’s tough to have so many big long term contracts (Toews, Kane, Seabrook) on one team.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Good deal. The team gave in on term to get an AAV that lets them be competitive while Kane and Toews are still around.

The Blackhawks could surprise a lot of people this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad